← Back to Celebrating Cuba! Collaborative Digital Collections of Cuban Patrimony
The Maps of Cuba collection is a shared digital collection, coordinated by the George A. Smathers Libraries at the University of Florida, in cooperation with the Biblioteca Nacional de Cuba José Martí (BNJM), and in partnership with other libraries and institutions.
The main geographic focus of the collection is the area now known as Cuba. Regional maps of the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean, Antilles, and West Indies are also included. Maps of other geographic areas may also be included when Cuba is specifically depicted or implied.
University of Miami Libraries Library of Congress HistoryMiami
University of Kentucky
Biblioteca Nacional de Cuba José Martí
The criteria for selecting maps of Cuba for inclusion in the project consist of:
- Cuba Specific Maps – Main geographic focus of the map is the area now known as Cuba, including geographic areas within Cuba, such as provinces, city plans and nautical charts.
- Regional Maps – Maps of the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean, Antilles, and West Indies in which all of the area now known as Cuba is included. If only part of Cuba is included on the map, the map should contain significant cartographic detail of the area of Cuba shown.
- Other Maps – If Cuba is specifically depicted or implied, other geographic areas may be considered.
- Format – The scope of the project includes all maps and charts. Digitized atlases and books with Cuban maps will be considered as appropriate. Views and aerial photographs are included if systemization is depicted (e.g. index, grid, legend, etc.). Raised relief maps and other 3D models are not included in the scope of the project at this time.
- Date – Primary focus is on maps of Cuba published or produced from 1500 to 1922. Materials published after 1922 will be considered if mutually agreed upon and if free from copyright or other restrictions.
- Copies may be used for digitization and included if original material cannot be located.
Carta esatta rappresentante l'Isola di Cuba estratta dalle carte del Sig. Poppler (1763)