- Permanent Link:
- Report on the Census of the Bahama Islands taken on the 6th December, 1953.
- Abbreviated Title:
- Census of the Bahama Islands
- Department of Statistics
- Place of Publication:
- Nassau (New Providence) Bahamas
- Office of the Nassau Guardian (1844 Ltd).
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- 31 p. : tables, charts ; 28 cm.
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Population forecasting ( lcsh )
- dataset ( sobekcm )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Nassau, Bahamas
- 25.047984 x -77.3554
- The thirteenth Census of the Bahama Islands was taken on the night of the 6th December, 1953 in accordance with the Census Act (Chapter 82). The estimated population of the Colony on the 30th of September, 1953 based on a calculation of the excess of births over deaths and immigration over emigration amounted to 85,729, (40,891) males and 44,838 females. The estimated population was therefore 16,883 in excess of the total population ascertained at the Census of 1943. The present Census shows an actual increase of 15,995, thus leaving 888 persons to be accounted for. In this connection however account must be taken of persons (males) absent from the Colony as agricultural workers in the United States of America.