Herschel E. Shepard Summaries of Selected Projects Partial Restoration of Fort Clinch (6305, 6512, 6805, 6907) The partial restoration of Fort Clinch took place in several stages from 1963 to 1969 and was commissioned by the Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials. Original construction of the fort took place between 1847 and 1969 but was abandoned due to the advent of rifled bore artillery. The fort was occupied by both the Confederacy and the Union during the Civil War, although it never saw battle. The partial restoration of the fort included the restoration of new roofs, windows, doors, millwork, and staircases for the Soldiers' Barracks and other buildings, the waterproofing and installation of drainage on the five bastions, masonry repointing, and the installation of cannon reproductions. Proje ct materials in the collection include copies of documents from the National Archives. Restoration of the Ximinez Fatio House (7303) Restoration of the Ximinez Fatio House in St. Augustine, Florida, took place from 1973 to 1979 on behalf of the Florida C hapter of the National Society of Colonial Dames and was partially funded by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Most of the existing buildings were constructed by Andres Ximinez between 1797 to 1806 and remained relatively unchanged since their remodel between 1830 and 1848. Herschel Shepard's firm restored dormers, roofing shingles, balconies, window shutters, exterior painting, and other exterior features of the house to its appearance following 1830 based on archaeological and documentary evid ence from the period. Reconstruction of Fort Foster (7508) A complete reconstruction of Fort Foster on behalf of the Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials took place from 1975 to 1980. The original wooden fort was built in 1836 during the Second Seminole War and was the site of a significant battle in 1837. Excavations and site inspections took place from 1975 to 1976 and formed the basis of the reconstruction. Restoration of the Historic 1902 State Capitol (7814) In 1978 the Florida Senate an d House of Representatives approved restoration of the 1902 Historic State Capitol building, which had been threatened due to the construction of a new building. The old Capitol was originally built in 1845 with additions made in 1902 by architect Frank Mi llburn, including the classical style dome. Further additions were made in 1925, 1936, and 1947, but it was determined that these additions would be demolished and the site restored to its configuration in 1902. The project also included the construction o f a plaza between the old and new Capitols and other alterations to the site to improve visual compatibility with the new Capitol.
Following archaeological investigations and research conducted in 1978, Shepard Associates began work on the restoration of the old Capitol building.This involved several stages. The first was an architectural investigation of the site. This was followed by two phases of demolition, one to salvage and demolish exteriors and the other to demolish unnecessary interior fixtures an d finishes. The next stage involved the restoration itself. This phase included the restoration of the art glass dome, which had originally lasted only ten years due to leaks. Shepard Associates was also involved in landscaping and site improvements. Work was completed in 1981. Spanish Point at the Oaks Restoration (7905, 8701, 9001, 9002) Shepard Associates provided various services, including restoration and reconstruction, for the Historic Spanish Point at the Oaks in Osprey, Florida intermittently fr om 1979 to 1990. The work was completed for the Gulf Coast Heritage Association, which was originally known as the Sarasota County Historical and Natural Science Center Inc. Historic Spanish Point at the Oaks is a 30 acre site including prehistoric midden mounds, the Webb family homestead, and the estate of Mrs. Potter Palmer. From 1979 to 1984 Shepard Associates completed a Master Site Plan, which included surveys and site analysis, restoration of the Guptill House, and reconstruction of Mary's Chapel. Wor k completed between 1987 to 1990 included renovation of Point Cottage, landscape restoration, reconstruction of the Webb Citrus Packing House, and the restoration of several other structures from the site's pioneer period. From 1990 to 1993 Shepard Associa tes completed a revised Master Site Plan, a conservation survey of the Palmer Aqueduct, and a feasibility study for the use of the Osprey School, originally built 1927, as a visitor's center. Quincy, Florida, Comprehensive Master Plan (8005, 8512) Quinc y, Florida is located in the north of the state and was established in 1828. In 1980 and again in 1985 Shepard Associates provided recommendations for the commercial revitalization of the business portion of the Historic District, primarily through storefr ont rehabilitation. From 1980 to 1981 Shepard Associates completed a Comprehensive Master Plan for the Historic District outlining the historical and visual importance of structures in the area. From 1985 to 1986 Shepard Associates undertook a feasibility study in preparation for a grant submission under the Florida Small Cities Community Development Block Grant Program. Mildred and Claude Pepper Archives, FSU (8011) Dodd Hall, originally constructed in 1923, was renovated by Shepard Associates in 1980 in order to house the Mildred and Claude Pepper Archives. Claude Pepper was a senator for Florida from 1936 to 1950 and a member of the House of Representatives from 1961 until his death in 1989. This project involved two major phases. The first was the rest oration of Dodd Hall
to its original configuration after long term use as a television recording studio. The second phase was the adaptation of this space as the Mildred and Claude Pepper Archives, which included recreations of Claude Pepper's offices as a senator and representative. The project was completed in 1985. Restoration of the Florida Theatre, Jacksonville, Florida (8202) From 1982 to 1983 Shepard Associates restored the Florida Theatre in Jacksonville, Florida, for the Arts Assembly of Jacksonv ille. The Florida Theatre was originally built in 1926 in the Mediterranean Revival style as a movie theater and is one of only three surviving examples of theaters in this style in the state. Shepard Associates restored the Florida Theatre and adapted it for reuse as a performing arts theater for various local groups. Cultural Survey, Tabuk Region, Saudi Arabia (8301) Herschel Shepard provided consulting services as a short term expert for a comprehensive plan of the Tabuk Region of Saudi Arabia. He visi ted for twelve weeks in 1983 and completed his report in 1984. Herschel Shepard identified and surveyed areas and buildings of cultural, historical, or religious importance in the region. Reconstruction of the Mission San Luis de Apalachee (9303, 9407, 95 01) In 1993 Herschel Shepard was commissioned by the Bureau of Historical Museums, Division of Historical Resources to conduct research on the site of the Mission San Luis de Apalachee with the intention of eventually reconstructing buildings for a living museum. The mission was built in 1633 by the Spanish and was occupied until 1704. Buildings and sites surveyed by Herschel Shepard included the Spanish and Apalachee villages, the church, the fort, and the Council House. Files for 9407 and 9501 have not y et been accessioned.