- Permanent Link:
- Entertainment at Ciudad Truijllo for the members of The Intergovernmental Comittee
- Alternate title:
- Dominican Republic Settlement Association 1st Anniversary scrapbook
- Wagg, Alfred ( compiler )
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (1 volume)
- Physical Location:
- Box 1
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) ( fast )
Jewish refugees ( fast )
World War (1939-1945) ( fast )
Dominican Republic Settlement Association, Inc. ( fast )
Rosenberg, James N. (James Naumburg), 1874-1970 ( fast )
Trujillo Molina, Rafael Leónidas, 1891-1961 ( fast )
- Scrapbooks ( lcgft )
schedules (time plans) ( aat )
letterheads ( aat )
- Temporal Coverage:
- World War ( 1939 - 1945 )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Dominican Republic -- Puerto Plata -- SosÃºa
- 19.751 x -70.516
- A scrapbook commemorating the 1st Anniversary of the founding of a Jewish refugee settlement at Sousa, in the Dominican Republic, in January 1940. Included in this scrapbook are programs, invitations, dinner menus, newspaper clippings, photographs, and other material documenting the anniversary commemoration and its various festivities. Of special interest is a report written by James N. Rosenberg to the Dominican Government about the status of the settlement and a letter from Generalissimo Trujillo addressed to Rosenberg. There are also photographs (likely publicity shots) depicting daily life in the settlement.
- Letterhead of Dominican Republic Settlement Association, Inc.
- Grant: Presidents Fund for the NEH project.
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida
- Holding Location:
- Judaica Collections at UF
- Rights Management:
- The University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries respect the intellectual property rights of others and do not claim any copyright interest in this item. This item may be protected by copyright but is made available here under a claim of fair use (17 U.S.C. Â§107) for non-profit research and educational purposes. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by fair use or other copyright exemptions. Any reuse of this item in excess of fair use or other copyright exemptions requires permission of the copyright holder. The Smathers Libraries would like to learn more about this item and invite individuals or organizations to contact Digital Services (UFDC@uflib.ufl.edu) with any additional information they can provide.
ENTERTAINMENT AT CIUDAD TRJJILLO FOR THE MEMBERS
OF THE INTERGOVERNMENTAL COMMITTEE
January 30th. 1941
The meeting will open at the National Palace. His Excellency, Dr. Troncoso de la Concha, President of the Republic will preside. Mr. James N. Rosenberg, President of the Dominican Republic Settlement Association will report on the work of the As. ociation for the first year. A response will be made by a representative of the Dominican Government.
The meeting will then be addressed by representatives of the Government members of the Intergovernmental Committee, including the representative of the Government of the United States.
The Secretary of the Intergovernmental Committee will read messages from the Rt. Hon. Lord Winterton, the Chairman of the Committee, and Sir Herbert Emerson, the Director.
Addresses will also be made by Mr. George L. Warren, representing the President's Advisory Committee on Political Refugees, and others.
Buffett luncheon tendered by the Honorable Alexander Swinton Paterson, the British Minister, at the Minister's Residence, to the delegates of the Intergovernmental Committee. Luncheonwill be followed by a business meeting.
Mrs. Leon Falk Jr.'s luncheon for the wives cf the delegates of the Intergovernmental Committee, and invited guests.
Reception to be followed by 'a formal dinner given by the Dominioan Government.
January 31st. 1941
Arrangements for delegates and members of the official party to visit the surrounding
country and points of interest, and meeting of the resolution committee of the Intergovernmental Committee, at 115, Avenida Bolivar.
Informal buffett luncheon given by Mr. Wagg to the delegates of the Intergovernmental Committee, at 115, Avenida Bolivar.
1.00 p.m. 8.00 p.m.
The Honorable Robert McGregor Scotten's luncheon for the American delegates, at the American Legation.
Reception to be followed by dinner, to be given by the Dominican Republic Settlement Association, for 200 guests, at Santo Domingo Country Club.
February 1st. 1941
Cars leave the Capital for Santiago, Dinner at Hotel Mercedes, Santiago Accomodatien for night at the same hotel, arranged by the Dominican Republic Settlement Association.
February 3rd, 1941
8.00 a.m. 10.00 a.m.
Cars leave for Sosua Settlement. Arrival at Sosua Settlement for inspection, visit, and luncheon. Late afternoon return to Santiago, Hotel Mercedes.
February 3rd. 1941
Return to Capital
Attached are two invitations extended by the Dominican Republic Settlement Association, to the members of the Intergovernmental Committee. Please reply through the secretary.
The secretary has a temporary office at 115, Avenida Bolivar, Telephone No. 18-80.
CIUDAD TRUJILL( TELEPHONE 2
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC SETTLEMENT ASSOCIATION, iNC.
1 65 BROADWAY FFICE NEW YORK SOSUA
0. R. D. CABLE ADDRESS; PUE
SOSUA :RTO PLATA
You are cordially invited to attend a formal banquet on the evening of January 51, 1941 at the Santo Domingo Country Club at 8 P.M. The occasion is the anniversary of the signing of the agreement for the settlement of European refugees in the Dominican Republic between the Dominican Republic Settlement Associatien and the Dominican Government under the aegis of the Intergovernmental Committee on Refugees.
It is respectfully requested in order that we may include your name among our guests, that you reply before Saturday evening, January 25th.
Dominican Republic Settlement Association
.yamzes X..A Wosenhely9
January 20, 1941
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC SETTLEMENT ASSOCIATION
Extensive arrangements are being completed for an visit to Sosua upon the conclusion of the meeting in Ciud marking the anniversary of the signing of the agreemen settlement of European refugees in the Dominican Republi the Dominican Republic Settlement Association and the 6 Government under the aegis of the Intergovernmental Comq Refugees.
You are cordially invited to join this group and reque nofitythe Dominican Republic Settlement office at Malecon 2 Saturday, January 25th in order that arrangements may be i your trip.
The schedule is as follows:
Cars leave the Capital at. 2 P.M.. February 1stDinner at the Hotel Mercedes, Santiago
Accomodation fer the night at same Hotel, arranged by Dorsa. Cars leave for Sossua at 8 A.M., February 2nd. 10 A.M, arrival at Sosua for inspection, visit and luncheon. Late afternoon return to Santiago, Hotel Mercedes.
Please indicate in your reply if you plan to join t1 whether you will travel in your own car.
Dominican Republic Settlement Assi
,acid J SehAweitzer
January 20, 1941
.S,~ '~ I