T E. C H NI
FOREST PRODUCTS LABORATORY
UNITED STATES FOREST SERVI
SOME BOOKS AND Pi
1. ChemicAl process industries,
p. McGraw-Hill Book Co., I
by R. N. Shreve.
nc., New York, 19
2. Ihe chemistry of synthetic
William Krumbhaar. 200 p.,
3. Dictionary of chemicals
and raw products,
2nd ed. revised and enlarged by H. S.
D. Van Nostrand Co., Inc., New York,
by J. R.
Stewart. 224 p.,
in, D. C., 1942.
5* Outlines of paint technology, by Noel Heaton.
ed., 413 p., illus. J. B. Lippincott Co., Ph
aint industry: reminiscences and comments,
I Heckel. 700 p., illus. American Paint Jo
St. Louis, 1931.
7. Paint manual, with particular reference
specifications, by P.
U. S. Natl. Bur. Stan
II. Walker and
Structures Rept. BMS105, 165 p.,
ton 25, D. C., 1945. $1,00.
M. Painting materials:
Gettens and G. L. S
E. F. Hickson.
a short encyclopaedia,
out. 333 p.. illus.
Inc., New York, 1942.
, ^ f
9. Protective and decorative coatings, by J. J. Matti-
ello and others. 349 p., illus. (U. S. Quarter-
master Corps). Government Printing Office, Wash-
ington 25, D. C., 1945. $1.25.
10. Protective and decorative coatings: paints, var-
nishes, lacquers, and inks, by J. J. Mattiello and
others. 5 v., illus. John Wiley & Sons, Tno.,
New York, 1941-46.
11. Aluminum paint and powder, by J. D. Edwards. 2nd
ed., revised and enlarged, 216 p., illus. Rein-
hold Pub. Corp., New York, 1936.
12. Casein and its industrial applications, by Edwin
Sutermeister and F. L. Browne. 433 P., illus.
(pp. 348-53 on casein paints). Reinhold Pub.
Corp., New York, 1939.
13. Classification of house and barn paints as recom-
mended by the U. S. Dept.of Agr., by F. L. Browne.
USDA Tech. Bul. 804, 37 P., illus. Government
Printing Office, Washington 25, D.C., 10g. 1942.
14. Symposium on paint and paint materials. 150 p.,
illus. American Society for Testing Materials,
15. Whitewash and cold water paints. National Lime
Assn. Bul. 304-E, 15 p., illus., Washington; D.C.,
Oils, Resins, Varnish, Lacquer-
16. Chemistry of synthetic resins, by Carleton Ellis.
2nd ed., 2 v., illus. Reinhold Pub. Corp., New
17. Commercial waxes, edited by Harry Bennett. 583 p.
Chemical Pub.Co.,Inc., Brooklyn, N. Y., 1944.
18. Industrial oil and fat products, by A. E. Bailey.
735 P. Intersci. Publishers, Inc., New York, 1945.
19. Lacquer and synthetic enamel finishes, by R. C.
Martin. 526 p., illus. D. Van Nostrand Co., Inc.,
New York, 1940.
20. Natural varnish resins, by T. H. Barry.
Benn, Ltd., London, 1932.
21. Nitrocellulose ester lacquers: their composition,
application, and uses, by Fritz Zimmer (translated
by H. K. Cameron). 246 p., illus., D. Van
Nostrand Co., Inc., New York, 1934.
22. Scientific methods of varnish manufacture,
Huff. 159 p., illus. American Paint Jour.
St. Louis, 1940.
23. Solvents, by T.
enlarged, 202 p.
H. Durrans. 5th ed., revised and
D. Van Nostrand Co., Inc., New
24. The technology of natural resins, by C. L. Mantell,
C. W. Kopf, J. L. Curtis, and E. M. Rogers. 506
p., illus. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York,
25. Varnish constituents, by H. W. Chatfield. 496 p.,
illus. Intersci. Publishers,Inc., New York, 1944.
Varnish making, by T.
132 p. Leonard Hill,
H. Barry and
G. W. Dunster..
making, by Oil and Colour Chemists'
illus. Chem. Publishing Co., Inc.,
Testing, Analysis, Specifications
28. ASTM standards on preservative coatings for struc-
tural materials (paints, varnishes, lacquers, and
paint materials) -- revised periodically. American
Society for Testing Materials, Philadelphia.
29. Bulletins and circulars of the Scientific Section,
Educational Bureau, National Paint, Varnish and
Lacquer Assn., Washington, D. C., 1912 to date, by
H. A. Gardner and others.
30. Chemical technology and analysis of oils, fats, and
waxes, by J. I. Lewkowitsch. 6th ed., revised by
G. H. Warburton. 3 v. Macmillan Co., New York, 1921.
31. Farmer's paint bulletin, by L. L. Carrick. North
Dakota State Labs. Dept. Bul. 62, 95 P-, illus.
32. Federal Specifications Board specifications. Listed
in Federal Standard Stock Catalog. Revised fre-
quently. Government Printing Office, Washington
25, D. C. 5g and 10% each.
See also Letter Circular 795, National Bureau of
Standards, Washington 25, D. C., 1945.
33. Paint bulletin: resume of previous publications
dealing with test fence data and a brief discussion
of the results, by L. L. Carrick and C. S. Ladd;
paints and varnishes: recent analyses of paints and
varnishes, by F. Roberts and C. S. Ladd; North
Dakota paint and varnish laws. North Dakota Regulat.
Dept. Bul. 45, 203 p., illus. Bismarck, 1935.
34. Physical and chemical examination of paints, var-
nishes, lacquers, and colors, by H. A. Gardner. 9th
ed., revision assisted by G. G. Sward, 57S p.,illus.
Natl. Paint Varnish & Lacquer Assn., Washington,
D. C., 1939.
Practical Application, Working Methods
35* The handbook on painting. Revised annually. Na-
tional Lead Co., New York.
36. The home mechanics handbook, painting, and decora-
ting section, by D. J. Di Bernado. D. Van Nostrand
Co., Inc., New York, 1945.
37. House painting methods with the brush and spray
gun; industrial painting on steel, iron, cement,
brick, and wood surfaces, by F. N. Vanderwalker.
2nd ed., 382 p., illus. F. J. Drake & Co., Inc.,
3$. List of publications on wood finishing subjects.
U. S. Forest Products Laboratory Mimeo. R454; re-
vised annually, 14 p., Madison 5, Wis. (free).
39- Mixing of colors and paints: description, proper-
ties, theory, harmony, and management of colors,
by F. N. Vanderwalker. 2nd ed,, 292 p., illus.
Fo J. Drake & Co., Chicago, 1944.
40. Painting and decorating estimating, by J. R.
Dalzell and A. H. Sabin. 152 p., illus. American
Tech. Soc., Chicago, 1938.
41. Painting on the farm, by H. P. Holman. USDA Farm.
Bul. 1452, 33 p. 1925- Out of print.
42. Painting, furniture finishing, and repairing: a com-
pilation of helpful articles for craftsmen, home
owners, painters, and handymen, by Popular Mechanics
Magazine. 96 p., illus, Grosset & Dunlap, Inc.,
New York, 1944.
43. Paints and painting: a manual on the composition of
paints and specifications for their use, by G. C.
holleson. 274 p., illus, David McKay Co., Phila-
by C. H. Van Vlack.
Ext. Serv. Circ.
Silk screen stenciling as a fine art; with an in-
troduction by Rockwell Kent, by J. I. Biegeleisen
and M. A. Cohn. McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc., New
Spray painting, industrial and commercial, by F. M.
Crewdson. 128 p., illus. F. J.Drake & Co.,
47. Wood handbook (includes chapter on painting and fin-
ishing wood), by Forest Products Laboratory. Re-
vised edition, 326 p., illus. Government Printing
Office, Washington 25, D.C., 1940, 50%.
Newell. Enlarged ed.
Press, Peoria, Ill.,
and painting wood, by A.
, 480 p., illus. Manual
Furniture, furniture finishing, decoration, and
patching, by A. B. Pattou and C. L. Vaughn. Re-
vised ed., 551 p., illus. F. J. Drake & Co.,
50. Practical furniture finishing: a manual for home
owners, amateur craftsmen, manual training schools,
vocational schools, reference libraries, hobby
groups, department, paint, and furniture stores,
mail order houses, Government institutions, etc.,
by A. B. Pattou. 112 p., illus. Craftsman Wood
Service Co., Chicago, 1940.
51. Wood finishing and painting made easy, by R. G.
Waring. 220 p., illus. Bruce Pub.Co.,Mil1waukee,1940.
52. Wood finishing, plain and decorative: methods, mate-
rials, and tools for natural, stained, varnished,
Selecting and applying paints,
46 p., illus. Iowa State Col.
261, Ames, 1939.
waxed, oiled, enameled, and painted finishes; an-
tiqued, stippled, streaked, and rough glazed fin-
ishes; stain making formulas, by F.-N. Vanderwalker.
Rev. ed., 361 p., illus. F. J. Drake & Co.,
53- Furniture care, repair, cleaning, by C. J. Legrid.
Wisconsin Univ. Ext. Serv. Spec. Circ., 8 p.,
illus. Madison 6, 1944.
54. Old furniture refinished, by G. E. Stratton.
Connecticut Agr. State Col. Ext. Bul. 364, 15 p.,
illus. Storrs, 1944.
55. Refinishing and care of furniture. S p., illus.
Iowa State Col. of Agriculture and Mech. Arts.
Agr. Ext. Serv., Ames, 1944.
56. Refinishing furniture, by Mrs. I. A. Fenton. Rev.
ed. Arkansas Univ. Col.Agr. Ext. Serv. Circ. 245,
6 p. Little Rock, 1936.
57. Refinishing furniture, by V. A. McDuffie. 11 p.
Oklahoma Agriculture and Mech. Col., Stillwater,
58. Refinishing furniture and floors, by W. V. Dowdy.
Georgia Univ. Col. Agr. Ext. Serv. Pul. 507, 12 p.,
illus. Athens, 1944.
59. Refinishing old furniture, by F. E. Wright. Rev,
ed. New York State Col. Agr. Cornell Ext. BulT,
295, 30 p., illus. Ithaca, 1945.
60. Rejuvenating furniture, by V. P. Moore. Florida
Univ. Agr. Ext. Servo Circ. 80, 12 p., illus.
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA
H 11111111 III III Hll IlflU ll H ll! Ii N ill 1 111111111 I '
3 1262 09216 7864