UFDC Home  |  dLOC  |  UCF: Digital Library of the Caribbean  

Parliament Buildings in Bridgetown, the capital of Barbados.

Bryant Slides Collection Circa 1940-1981 ( Guide to the Collection )
MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Parliament Buildings in Bridgetown, the capital of Barbados.
Uniform Title:
The Bryant Slides Collection
The Bryant Slides Collection, Barbados
Physical Description:
35 mm
Creator:
Unknown ( Photographer )
Publication Date:

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Parliament Buildings (Bridgetown, Barbados)
City and town life -- Barbados -- Bridgetown -- 1969
Architecture, Caribbean -- Barbados; Public buildings -- Barbados -- 1870-1880
Bridgetown (Barbados) -- Social life and customs
Vehicles -- Barbados -- 1960-1970
Genre:
Transparencies
Spatial Coverage:
Barbados -- Caribbean region -- Bathsheba, Saint Andrew

Notes

General Note:
The slides were taken on collecting trips sponsored by the William L. Bryant Foundation, where books, music and art indigenous to the regions were gathered. They are organized by geographical location.
General Note:
In 1625, Barbados was claimed on behalf of England. In 1627, Barbados was colonized and attained independence in 1966. The Barbados Parliament, established in 1639, was the third oldest Parliament in the British Commonwealth. The Parliament Buildings, completed in 1874, are the meeting places for the two chambers of Parliament, the Senate and the House of Assembly. The Legislative Council, originally established during the island’s colonization, was replaced by a Senate in 1964. The main entrance to the House of Assembly, the lower house, has a Bust of Sir William Conrad Reeves the first black person to be knighted. The architecture of the buildings reflects a Gothic revival featuring arches. The picture includes a woman in a yellow dress and a man next to a school. Many forms of transportation vehicles are seen: automobiles, scooters, motorcycles, and bicycles. Slide labeled Public Bldgs. Barbados.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of Central Florida Libraries ( SOBEK page | external link )
Holding Location:
University of Central Florida ( SOBEK page | external link )
Rights Management:
All rights to images are held by the respective holding institution. This image is posted publicly for non-profit educational uses, excluding printed publication. For permission to reproduce images and/or for copyright information contact Special Collections & University Archives, University of Central Florida Libraries, Orlando, FL 32816 phone (407) 823-2576, email: speccoll@ucf.edu
Resource Identifier:
CFM1972_01a
Sheet 21: 2
Classification:
System ID:
AA00019196:00001

  Home | About dLOC | Collections | Governance | Digitization | Outreach | FAQ | Contact  
  Powered by SobekCM
Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement  
© All rights reserved   |   Citing dLOC