- To Mary Eloise. August 13, 1861
- Series Title:
- Samuel D. McConnell Papers
- Physical Description:
- McConnell, Samuel Darwin, 1834-1885
- Creation Date:
- Physical Location:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Mayors -- Correspondence -- Florida -- Ocala ( lcsh )
Armed Forces -- Officers -- Correspondence ( lcsh )
Military pensions -- United States -- Mexican War, 1846-1848 ( lcsh )
Military pensions -- United States -- Civil War, 1861-1865 ( lcsh )
Bank stocks -- Florida -- Ocala ( lcsh )
History -- Ocala (Fla.) -- 19th century ( lcsh )
Politics and government -- Ocala (Fla.) -- 19th century ( lcsh )
Social life and customs -- Marion County (Fla.) ( lcsh )
Marion -- 12083 ( ceeus )
Ante-Bellum Florida, 1845-1861 ( fhp )
Civil War in Florida, 1861-1865 ( fhp )
Economics and Society: Post-Civil War Florida, 1865-1913 -- Reconstruction Era, 1865-1877 ( fhp )
- This collection encompasses the correspondence of Samuel D. McConnell, as well as other relatives of the McConnell family. The bulk of the collection features letters written to his fiance and later wife, Mary Eloise Brumby, in which he describes being admitted to the Ocala bar, his work at the East Florida Seminary, and his thoughts on the political happenings of the time. Though his regiment saw action at Chickamauga and Chattanooga, this collection does not contain any of his letters pertaining to these battles.
- In his early letters, McConnell writes about his thoughts on secession, the election of President Lincoln, his feelings on serving in the Confederate Army, and his regiment's movements in the early stages of his enlistment. Towards the end of the war, while stationed in Georgia and Alabama, he discusses the Confederate Army's retreat from Atlanta, the prospect of peace if McClellan wins election as president of the United States, and the army's attempt to regain momentum against Union forces. Other letters discuss routine subjects. The letters from McConnell to his wife Mary span from October 5, 1859 to January 23, 1876. Overall, McConnell's correspondence reflects his thoughts on the war more than his military actions.
- The collection also includes correspondence between R. T. Brumby and other members of the McConnell/Brumby family, letters among family members, some correspondence with the War Department.
- Samuel Darwin McConnell was an attorney and military captain during the Civil War in Florida. Born on January 14, 1834 in Liberty County, Georgia, McConnell attended school in Walthourville, Georgia, studied law, and was admitted to the Ocala Bar in November of 1860. After passing the bar, McConnell also served as an instructor at the East Florida Seminary in Ocala. Prior to the start of the Civil War, McConnell wrote the petition from Marion County asking for the secession of Florida from the Union. On August 27, 1861, McConnell married Mary Eloise Brumby, daughter of R. T. Brumby.
- On March 12, 1862, McConnell enlisted in the 7th Florida Infantry, and was appointed captain of Company G. His unit, formed at Gainesville, was sent with the regiment to Chattanooga and then to east Tennessee. There, the regiment saw action at the Battles of Chattanooga and Chickamauga in 1863. In 1864, McConnell was seriously wounded and was forced to use crutches for the rest of his life. He later returned to practicing law and moved to Atlanta, Georgia in 1871. In 1880, he returned to Ocala where he served as the first Mayor of Ocala until his death on June 6, 1885.
- Source of Description:
- Originally derived from archival-level ALEPH record 028292653 ( OCLC: 49505386 )
- Funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) as part of the Pioneer Days in Florida Project
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida
- Holding Location:
- P.K. Yonge Library of Florida History, Special Collections
- Rights Management:
- All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
- Resource Identifier:
- System ID:
. -N <
C^ L2 6U2V e~4 ~ 2
*^/' "" ?< ,--^- *- -- ';- se-
. ( ^ ~, / -.
^ A- ^ ...-- y *s-,.- _. ^-'1_ ''-- ,__'_ .... CL._ -_ ..- __ ^^c^ ^ --,^L. ^ __<_
a^ /, /< ey ^.e'>i
/'^ ;. ,. 2 -
, .. / y .-- __L .f ^_. -
/2 .- .
, / ,4^ --,z -
oe- e A- ^ .,
4 *- ,.<.-. _.
,c ,- ... 6 __. '.,' __ .
(~L A ~--~' A. L~'~ -i-- /
tf I .