- Map and floor plans of the Refuge plantation house. 1850
- Series Title:
- Duncan Lamont Clinch Family Papers (1804-1904)
- Physical Description:
- Mixed Material
- Clinch, Duncan Lamont, 1787-1849
- Creation Date:
- Physical Location:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Seminole War, 2nd, 1835-1842 ( lcsh )
Plantations -- Georgia ( lcsh )
History -- Personal narratives -- United States -- Civil War, 1861-1865 ( lcsh )
European Discovery and Settlement in Florida, 1492-1821 -- The Second Spanish Period, 1783-1821 ( fhp )
Territorial Florida, 1821-1845 -- Wars of Indian Removal, 1817-1858 ( fhp )
Ante-Bellum Florida, 1845-1861 ( fhp )
Civil War in Florida, 1861-1865 ( fhp )
Economics and Society: Post-Civil War Florida, 1865-1913 ( fhp )
- This collection contains mostly correspondence and newspaper clippings about General Clinch. Topics range from family matters to his military campaign in the Second Seminole War and include letters from the Secretary of War at the time, Lewis W. Cass. The newspaper clippings pertain to General Clinch’s defense of his actions during the Second Seminole War and at the Battle of the Withlacoochee. Also included in this collection are a number of land transaction documents and bills of sale. There are also newspaper clippings and letters about Clinch’s first daughter, Eliza Bayard Clinch, who was married to the hero of Fort Sumter, General Robert Anderson. There are also copies of several wills from General Clinch’s children, several letters of correspondence from within the family, and Clinch’s autobiography written in the form of a letter to his sons. Portions of this latter document are missing.
- It is important to note that while there are multiple letters and correspondence regarding the Battle of the Withlacoochee and the prosecution of the Second Seminole War in Florida, there is nothing specific with regard to the destruction of the "Negro Fort." The collection is arranged by topic and then chronologically within each folder.
- United States Military General.
- Source of Description:
- Originally derived from archival-level ALEPH record 028036225 ( OCLC: 48886522 )
- Funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) as part of the Pioneer Days in Florida Project
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida
- Holding Location:
- P.K. Yonge Library of Florida History, Special Collections
- Rights Management:
- All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
- Resource Identifier:
- System ID: