- Loading Mules with Beef and Ice, Culebra Station, Panama Railroad
- Physical Description:
- Angrick, Bill ( donor )
- Keystone View Company
- Place of Publication:
- Meadville, PA
- Copyright Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Livestock ( fast )
Labor ( fast )
Railroads ( fast )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Panama -- Central America
- Several mules are loaded with ice and beef by around a dozen workers at the Culebra Station of the Panama Railroad.
- Scope and Content:
- B. L. Singley founded The Keystone View Company in 1892 in Meadville, Pennsylvania. The company quickly became the world's largest view company, having at least 250,000 negatives (of which some 50,000 were available as numbered views) by the 1930s. These images were meant to bring international experiences into the palm of the average person's hand, to be revisted in private or during social gatherings. It has been said that the ability of the stereograph to bring vicarious experiences to faraway people makes this medium parallel to the internet or television today. The Keystone View Company also focused on the educational value of their products, employing teams of people to write explanatory texts that were printed on the backs of the stereograph cards. This text, along with the imagery, presents the dominant vision of American ideals and interests during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Source 1: http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/ft1q2n999m/
Source 2: http://www.yellowstonestereoviews.com/publishers/keystone.html
- Gifted on behalf of William P. and Barbara L. Angrick
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida
- Holding Location:
- Panama Canal Museum Collection at the University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- Public Domain Presumed (e.g. expiry of copyright term): This item is presumed to be in the public domain. The University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries respect the intellectual property rights of others and do not claim any copyright interest in this item. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by fair use or other copyright exemptions. Any reuse of this item in excess of fair use or other copyright exemptions requires permission of the copyright holder.
- Resource Identifier:
- accession number - 2013.2.180
- System ID:
* .,. N,
.. .. :, ,. ,a '---."
s '/ ,,,. .I,
.~ ;r 'bE.rdff
There are no roads for wagons or bug- families are furnished with good houses.
gies. There are no wagons in which to In these they can furnish their own meal,
haul things. There would be wagons if as desired.
there were roads. There are plenty of Artificial ice is made in Colon and
native horses and mules. All that a man Panama, and can be shipped to any of the
or woman cannot carry on the head must towns along the Panama Railroad. The
S' transported on the backs of mules or bunches of bananas and other things on
orses. The load is generally divided the station platform have all been brought
into two equal parts. Each part is secured on backs of mules or horses. The woman
by ropes to the pack saddle on the back standing on the platform walked many
61 the animal. Sometimes you will see I miles. On her head, she carried the box
an animal trudging along with 100 pounds on which you see her hat. She did not
of ice on each side. Another animal will wear her hat, but carried it on top of the
have a block of ice on one side of the box. The native people would rather
saddle and a quarter of beef on the other, carry things on their heads than in their
The ice has come from Colon where it is hands.
made. The beef has come from the The Americans are now making good
United States. They are both going to roads in the Canal Zone. They will then
the Culebra Hotel. There the Isthmus have wagons and buggies, and when the
Canal Commission furnishes meals to its Panamanians see them they will also
employes. The employes who have their want them and learn how to use them.
Covright rio7, by Keystone View Company.
r pw, -- -
F, V- top Am .-A, .-- -T M-: I . P twommmmWo I I -. ,Wom
FW-~~~-- II-FV; ~ 7'l~- ~ -
20855---Loading Mules with Beef and Ice. Culebra Station, Panama Rallroao.
N o o k&.- ... ",-' .. ." ," . ,e -.. . o ., . --- . , , ). .