- Cocoa-nut Tree and Fruit in the Little Village of Gorgons, Panama Canal Zone
- Physical Description:
- Angrick, Bill ( donor )
- Keystone View Company
- Place of Publication:
- Meadville, PA
- Copyright Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Trees ( fast )
Buildings ( fast )
Palms ( fast )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Panama -- Central America -- Gorgona -- Panama Canal Zone
- Some dense vegetation including a "cocoa-nut" tree near the town of Gorgona.
- Scope and Content:
- B. L. Singley founded The Keystone View Company in 1892 in Meadville, Pennsylvania. The company quickly became the world's largest view company, having at least 250,000 negatives (of which some 50,000 were available as numbered views) by the 1930s. These images were meant to bring international experiences into the palm of the average person's hand, to be revisted in private or during social gatherings. It has been said that the ability of the stereograph to bring vicarious experiences to faraway people makes this medium parallel to the internet or television today. The Keystone View Company also focused on the educational value of their products, employing teams of people to write explanatory texts that were printed on the backs of the stereograph cards. This text, along with the imagery, presents the dominant vision of American ideals and interests during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Source 1: http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/ft1q2n999m/
Source 2: http://www.yellowstonestereoviews.com/publishers/keystone.html
- Gifted on behalf of William P. and Barbara L. Angrick
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida
- Holding Location:
- Panama Canal Museum Collection at the University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- Public Domain Presumed (e.g. expiry of copyright term): This item is presumed to be in the public domain. The University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries respect the intellectual property rights of others and do not claim any copyright interest in this item. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by fair use or other copyright exemptions. Any reuse of this item in excess of fair use or other copyright exemptions requires permission of the copyright holder.
- Resource Identifier:
- accession number - 2013.2.175
- System ID:
.ii 'I L P~ ICI~E6"t33itlli n t
k :~R~ ,,iEl~~dP.L-';'.. i
Irt, 'i .jT, e rr-r r-~Bsl~ET~1~I~~P9
r ~: A -~~a~sr ~-~ap,
4 Z 20858---The Cocoanut Tree and Fruit, Village of Gorgona, Panama Canal Zene,
The tree producing this fruit grows various ways in making pies and cakes.
anywhere on the Isthmus of Panama. Before the meat in the nu, has hardened
The nut is planted and in six years the it is called jelly. In this condition it is
tree is bearing fruit. It will continue delicious. After the nut is taken from the
bearing until it is over 100 years old. tree, the end is cut off with a machet.
From the time its first nuts mature there The milk is drunk from the nut, or poured
are blossoms and nuts of various sizes, into a glass. Then with one blow the
constantly on the tree. The tree does machete cuts the nut in two. With a
not need any care or cultivation. It grows spoon the halves are emptied of their
and thrives in the poorest of soil, where delicious white jelly. The traveler in
there is sufficient moisture. T' e tree tropical countries finds the milk and meat
continues to grow in height as long as it of this nut cooling and refreshing, even
lives. Its long branchy leaves fall off when taken from under the shadow of the
and leave a round scar each year. By broad leaves in mid-day.
counting these rings you can tell the age The fiber of the outer husk surrounding
of the tree. the hard shell is used for making ropes
The leaves are used for thatching the and various other articles. The wood
native huts. The hard shells of the does not make building lumber. The
ripened nuts make good cups. The milk broad and long leaves make a grateful
in the nut is a refreshing and nourishing shade.
drink. The meat of the nut is used in
Copyright i o7, by Keystone View Coompany.
( ,.~ p~P' ~P
-'Li~~_IllZ I I