- View in Tropical Forest
- Physical Description:
- Angrick, Bill ( donor )
- E. & H. T. Anthony & Co.
- Publication Date:
- 1870 or 1871
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Palms ( fast )
Forests and forestry ( fast )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Panama -- Central America
- A view of dense vegetation within a tropical forest.
- Scope and Content:
- In January of 1870 Commander Thomas O. Selfridge, Jr. of the U.S. Navy was ordered to command an exploration of the Isthmus of Darien--the area now known as the Isthmus of Panama--for interoceanic routes. He engaged in this work until 1874. This stereograph was taken either in 1870 or 1871, during the first two years of the Selfridge Expedition. The expedition was grueling work, and many doubted that this mountainous isthmus was the ideal path for a canal. Most of the Expedition's stereographs are documentarian, as opposed to contrived portraits, focusing on native life and the landscape of Darien. Timothy O'Sullivan was the official expedition photographer in 1870; John Moran was the official expedition photographer in 1871.
Stereograph does not bear photographer credits.
Source 1: http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/expeditions_1800s.htm
Source 2: http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/samples/simon031/00266235.html
- Gifted on behalf of William P. and Barbara L. Angrick
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida
- Holding Location:
- Panama Canal Museum Collection at the University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- Public Domain Presumed (e.g. expiry of copyright term): This item is presumed to be in the public domain. The University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries respect the intellectual property rights of others and do not claim any copyright interest in this item. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by fair use or other copyright exemptions. Any reuse of this item in excess of fair use or other copyright exemptions requires permission of the copyright holder.
- Resource Identifier:
- accession number - 2013.2.112
- System ID: