- The Indispensable American Steam Shovel Handling Rock from the Cut, Bas Obispo, Panama Canal Zone
- Physical Description:
- Angrick, Bill ( donor )
- Keystone View Company
- Place of Publication:
- Meadville, PA
- Copyright Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Steam Shovels ( fast )
Labor ( fast )
Railroads ( fast )
Excavating machinery ( fast )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Panama -- Central America -- Panama Canal Zone
- Five laborers working with an American steam shovel in Bas Obispo cut.
- Scope and Content:
- B. L. Singley founded The Keystone View Company in 1892 in Meadville, Pennsylvania. The company quickly became the world's largest view company, having at least 250,000 negatives (of which some 50,000 were available as numbered views) by the 1930s. These images were meant to bring international experiences into the palm of the average person's hand, to be revisted in private or during social gatherings. It has been said that the ability of the stereograph to bring vicarious experiences to faraway people makes this medium parallel to the internet or television today. The Keystone View Company also focused on the educational value of their products, employing teams of people to write explanatory texts that were printed on the backs of the stereograph cards. This text, along with the imagery, presents the dominant vision of American ideals and interests during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Source 1: http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/ft1q2n999m/
Source 2: http://www.yellowstonestereoviews.com/publishers/keystone.html
- Gifted on behalf of William P. and Barbara L. Angrick
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida
- Holding Location:
- Panama Canal Museum Collection at the University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- Public Domain Presumed (e.g. expiry of copyright term): This item is presumed to be in the public domain. The University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries respect the intellectual property rights of others and do not claim any copyright interest in this item. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by fair use or other copyright exemptions. Any reuse of this item in excess of fair use or other copyright exemptions requires permission of the copyright holder.
- Resource Identifier:
- accession number - 2013.2.106
- System ID:
--,,,.40 l:. ..
2 .... i '
20862---American Steam Shovel Handling Rock from the Cut, Bas Obispo, Panama Canal.
Bas Obispo is 31 miles from Colon. It provided, so that when some are undergo-
is the north end of the Culebra Cut. In the ing repairs, the n"itnber at work will not
rock section the can.i is to have a width be less than 100. Itrhas been demonstrat-
of 200 feet at the bottom and a width of ed that these 100 shovels can handle each
208 feet at the surface. Lar:e steamiers year 20,005.000 cabic yards of material
will not be able to pass each other in the classed as rock. At this rate the 110,000,
rock sections. Provi ion for their passing i 00 cbic yard- of material in the divide
will be made at oth, re points. The rock doud be removed in five years and a half.
Section will be only nine miles long. The This tirn: J could be shortened, by work-
width of the canal will per i-t steamier ing at nq:nt :s well as dr ing the day.
to travel at the speed of six to iirht kn.s By da.nn;r thI Ciagres :liver at
per hour and allow two ordinary steamers Ahajuela, -r. at water power c.n be' had.
to pass each other without stopping. A portion of this power can be used to
The great amount of material to be generate electricity. By it the whole cut
removed from the Culebra Cut will require can be lighted so that the wok can go on
a great many steam shovels. It is propos- by night as well as by day. Without the
ed by the Canal Commission to have 100 assistance of the steam shovel, the dig-
of these shovels available for continuous going of the i4nama Canal could hardly
work. More than that number will be have been undertaken.
ight 1v07, by b.'eystune I'iot' C company
" r' .
*l '.;^ .,
I I! r I rl I I I~ Ill I II ---. rIl IC r I nr I ar
----L ~_111/I e*~FI~ 1~ __ -r -- --- ---- Y-- -i ----- --C --- -~ ~2- -.
2 t j