Report on application of State of Florida for transfer for historic monument purposes of Old Post Office Building and Si...

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Report on application of State of Florida for transfer for historic monument purposes of Old Post Office Building and Site, St. Augustine, Florida
Physical Description:
Mixed Material
Creator:
National Park Service, Southeast Region, Richmond, Virginia
Publication Date:

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Government House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Saint Augustine (Fla.)
48 King Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Spatial Coverage:
North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 48 King Street
Coordinates:
29.892465 x -81.313142

Notes

General Note:
Prepared by National Park Service, Southeast Region, Richmond, Virginia for Bureau of Outdoor Recreation, Southeast Region, Atlanta, Georgia

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of Florida
Holding Location:
University of Florida
Rights Management:
All rights reserved by the submitter.
System ID:
AA00013213:00001

Full Text

PAGE 1

REPORT ON APPLICATION OF STATE OF FLORIDA FOR TRANSFER FOR HISTORIC MONUMENT PURPOSES OF OLD POST OFFICE BUILDING AND SITE St. Augustine, Florida Prepared by National Park Service, Southeast Region Richmond, Virginia for Bureau of Outdoor Recreation, Southeat Region Atlanta, Georgia May 1966

PAGE 2

TABLE OF CONTENTS Page No. 1FOREWORD The Application 1 The Investigation and Report 1 3RECOMMENDATION AND SUMMARY OF FINDINGS Recommended Determination 3 Resume of Historical Justification 3 Summary of Findings 4 SUPPORTING DATA 5 Identification and Location of Property 5 Historical Significance of Property 5 Synopsis 5 Narrative 7 Suitability of Property for Historic Monument Purposes 13 Surviving Historical Remains 13 Other Physical Characteristics 17 Accessibility 18 Adaptability 18 Boundaries 18 Place in State or Regional Plan 19 Proposed Use Program 19 Responsibility of Requesting Agency 19 Legal Authority 19 Adequacy of Financing 20 Experience in Historical Work 20 Adequacy of Staff 21

PAGE 3

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region U. S. POST OFFICE AND CUSTOMHOUSE St. Augustine, Florida REPORT ON APPLICATION OF STATE OF FLORIDA for TRANSFER OF SURPLUS PROPERTY FOR HISTORIC MONUMENT PURPOSES FOREWORD The Application The State of Florida, acting by and through the St. Augustine Historical Restoration and Preservation Commission, submitted an application dated February 14, 1966 to the General Services Administration to acquire from the United States of America for historic monument purposes the following described surplus property: A plot and building known as the Old Post Office and Customs House in St. Augustine bounded by Cathedral, St. George, King and Cordova Streets, measuring 367.72' on the north (Cathedral), 132.91' on the east (St. George), 342.33' on the south (King) and 141.52' on the west (Cordova). GSA Loc. Code 092690109. One building constituting the Old Spanish Governor's House on the east portion, and a modern west wing built in 1936 for Post Office purposes. All modern electrical, plumbing and heating and air conditioning improvements. Construction: coquina masonry and reinforced concrete. The Investigation and Report In July 1965, the National Park Service made a study of the property to determine its suitability and feasibility as a National Historic Site.

PAGE 4

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region Messrs. Albert Manucy and Luis R. Arana, Historians, de San Marcos National Monument, St. Augustine, Florida, reported on the historical significance of the property and an architectural evaluation was made by Mr. Woodrow W. Wilkins, Architect, Society of Architectural Historians, National Trust for Historic Preservation, and Pensacola Heritage Foundation. This report is based on information obtained during that study and is prepared pursuant to the request made by the Regional Director, Bureau of Outdoor Recreation, Southeast Region, in his memorandum of March 8, 1966 to the Regional Director, National Park Service, Southeast Region, subject: "Application for Historic Monument -Old Post Office Building and Site, St. Augustine, Florida." 2

PAGE 5

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region RECOMMENDATION AND SUMMARY OF FINDINGS Recommended Determination The requested surplus property at St. George, King and Cathedral Streets, St. Augustine, Florida, consisting of the U. S. Post Office and Customhouse, has been found to be suitable, desirable and adaptable for state historic monument purposes in accordance with the provisions of Public Law 616, 80th Congress. It is, therefore, recommended that the said requested surplus property be transferred to the State of Florida for historic monument purposes without monetary consideration. Resume of Historical Justification From 1598 to 1821, Government House was the administrative center of Colonial Florida. At Government House was held the deliberations of royal officials and conferences with frontier agents, emissaries from English and the Indian nations. In a larger sense, the structure is thus related to the colonization of North America. PhYSically, also, Government House is an integral part of a larger governmental complex. St. Augustine's public life centered on the town square, which was established in 1598. The public market, governor's residence, custom house, and other substantial buildings soon followed. The successors to these edifices exist today: the market (1824), Cathedral (1797), and Government House (Post Office), together with the monument to Spain's Constitution of 1812, and the 3

PAGE 6

UOfi GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region Episcopal Church (1825), adjacent to the Government House are the monumental hotels of the late 1800's, towered and castellated to suggest traditional Spanish architecture. Relationships of the various historic structures to the Plaza are basically unchanged, and most of the adjacent structures blend more orless-harrnoniously wi th thi s group. The architectural integrity of Government House has been impaired. The present reconstruction retains portions of three of the early walls. Its design is reminiscent of the 18th Century, but the scale and detail of the original have been modified. An architectural study and evaluation by a well-qualified non-government architectural historian concludes, however, that ...its historic value, the present appearance notwithstanding, seems to demand that it continue to exist in some capacity in the city. Every effort should be made to preserve these portions of it which seem conI clusively to date to 1833, if not earlier." He concludes further that retention of the present structure seems to be the only method of preserving its historic portions since it appears to be impractical to demolish, restore and reconstruct the Post Office to one of its earlier periods. Summary of Findings Because of the importance of the former Government House to the City's historic Central Plaza and the value of its historic architectural remains, it is concluded that the transfer of the St. Augustine Post Office to the State of Florida for historic monument is justified. 4

PAGE 7

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region SUPPORTING DATA Identification and Location of Property The Post Office and Customs House in St. Augustine is in the center of the colonial area of St. Augustine, adjacent to the historic plaza. The lot is bounded by St. George, King, Cordova, and Cathedral streets. The structure is built on the east half of the lot. It is an L-shaped, split-level plan, a high two stories in height, steel-framed, with a gable roof covered by flat tile. The east leg contains old walls of shellstone; the south wing is recent construction (1936). Each street facade has a balcony, and the south facade of the east leg, which overlooks a walled patio, has a two-story porch. Main entrances are in the north and south street facades 1 and lead into the postal lobby. Details of the building are formal, massive, psuedo-Spanish and generally at oversize scale. Historical Significance of the Property Synopsis. Recorded occupancy of the site began in 1598 or soon thereafter and consisted of a wooden residence built by the Spanish governor. It was purchased in 1604 by the Crown as official quarters for the Florida governors. All structures on the site were razed during the siege of 1702. Between 1706-1713 a new Government House was constructed in stone. It served until 1811 as residence and office of the Florida governors 5

PAGE 8

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region (Spanish, and later English), who were concerned with all phases of cOlonial administration: Exploration, colonization (both foreign and national), defense, trade and agriculture, frontier diplomacy with Indians and foreign neighbors, and the Catholic effort as well as mundane social matters. Their sphere of influence was initially a vast area of the Southeast, including the coastal waters traversed by the treasure fleet; but eventually it was constricted to only the peninsula. In 1811, the Government House was temporarily abandoned due to its structural condition, but upon the cession of Florida to the United States it was repaired and used variously as quarters and courthouse. A major reconstruction in 1833, designed by the noted architect Robert Mills, enlarged it for use as courthouse and post office. Federal troops were quartered here in the Civil War. In 1873 an important alteration extended the length of the building} but removed its south wing. Basic functions were now post office and customs. The need for expanded postal facilities led to another major reconstruction in 1936. It was redesigned for principal use as a post office, with upstairs offices for other Federal agencies. At" this time the historicity of the building was recognized by basing part of the exterior design upon a sketch of the 1764 and retaining portions of the old masonry in the new work. The old 6

PAGE 9

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region masonry is in the eastern leg, and includes the south wall (1713), the east wall (1713, rebuilt 1786), and north wall (1833). Fenestration in these walls is new. Narrative. The House of 1598. The first known structure on the Government House site was a residence built by Governor Gonzalo Mendez de Canzo about 1598. Undoubtedly the location of this early building was influenced by a contemporary event OI such significance-2 the establishment of the plaza, or town square. This act of 1598 conformed to a royal decree which stipulated that all Spanish towns must have a central plaza large enough for gatherings and processions. Principal buildings, such as the church, government house, market, 3 and so on, were to face the plaza. Canzo's house stood at the west end of the St. Augustine plaza. His 4 successor in 1604 arranged for its purchase as an official residence. The House of 1690. The Canzo house evidently served until the 1680's, when it was replaced by a new two-story building with balconied masonry walls. Interestingly enough, the construction required 200 days in 1689-1690, and was supervised by a British 5 expatriate named John Collins. This was the "governor'shouse" where the shipwrecked QUaker Jonathan Dickinson found hospitality in 1696. "We were got up a pair of stairs," 7

PAGE 10

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region wrote he, "at the head whereof stood the governor, who ordered my wife to be conducted to his wife's apartment. I and John Smith went into a room where the governor asked us a few questions; but seeing how extreme cold we were, he gave us a cup of Spanish. wine 6 and sent us into his kitchen to warm ourselves at the fire." The 1690 building was burned in 1702 by British troops departing 7 after their unsuccessful siege of the Castillo. Stone from the ruined walls was salvaged for a guardhouse on the plaza. 8 The House of 1713. Government House was reestablished sometime after 1706 and before 1713, at which time the record mentions a fiesta, during which the governor and his lady provided sweets and drinks in 9 the patio and tossed coins from the balcony to the crowds below. To this Spanish capitol of Florida came English emissaries from Carolina and Georgia, urging de facto recognition of their settlements, 10 and gathering intelligence to guide tactics against Spanish Florida. Here too were received Indian leaders and their retinues who bespoke 11 allegiance to Spain--or sometimes the opposite. The Renovation of 1759. A major renovation of the house is 12 13 mentioned in the records of 1759, and soon thereafter a sketch and an appraisal provided detailed information for the first time. The main structure was two stories high, with a shingled gable roof. Bearing walls were 22 inches thick, others 11. Official entrance 8

PAGE 11

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region was on the east, through a Doric portal in the masonry fence bounding the lot. The east facade was further distinguished with a street balcony. The appraisal lists 16 masonry pillars and These are indication of a porch or gallery, perhaps-on the south face of the main There were 32 doors and windows, and a main stairway of masonry. The second story had a wooden floor and a 14 dining room, with its own service stairway. There was also a single-story kitchen-and-dining room. It was flat-roofed and was probably a semi-detached wing on the south. Othe.r' structures included ovens, chimneys, watchtower, guardhouse, stable, and four privies. The western part of. the lot bad a arbor and an orchard with citr 'S, peacll, fig, quince, and cherry 15 trees. Another construction was the erection 1761 a masonry lunette on the western boundary of the lot. It replaced 16 earthwork redoubt in the western defense wall of the city. English Renovation -1763-1783. By the Treaty of 1763, Florida passed into British ownership. The 20-year English occupation wrought only minor changes in what James Grant called ffrealy a Very bad Spanish Hous wi thout a ChiJ1mew, or cven a Window except such as 17 were made of boards shutters 7" Grant's renovations in-eluded the installation of glazed doubJe-nung sash in 1765, and a new 18 stable and coach in 1766. 9

PAGE 12

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region The Spanish Renovation of 1785-1787. Upon return of the Si>airish, the "Casa de Gobierno" underwent drastic rehabilitation. Engineer Mariano de la Rocque discovered structural failures in the east wall. He reconstructed and strengthened this wall, along with portions-of the adjacent walls. Walling was raised 16 inches higher and new framing was built for the main roof and porches. The street balcony was rebuilt. Changes were also made in fenestration. Parts of the north and south porches were enclosed and glazed. Floors were replaced. The entire building was whitewashed, and the woodwork 19 painted light ochre. The renovated structure was described as three rooms in a row, 7 X 23 varas each, upstairs and down. It had a shingled gable roof. Porches extended along both north and south walls, and a balcony was on the east. A covered walk connected the kitchen-and-pantry to the 20 house. The tower adjoined the house on the west. Government House continued to be the administrative and social center of the province until 1811. By then it was in such poor condition 21 that the Governor refused to live in it. The Reconstruction of 1833-1834. With the cession of Florida to the United States in 1821, Government House was patched up for officers' quarters, but soon surrendered for civil functions. Federal Judge Smith renovated part of the building as a courtroom. Here in 1823 (before Tallahassee became the new capital) the Legislative Council met. Once 10

PAGE 13

22 GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region again for a few weeks, Government House was the capitol of Florida. With Congressional funds, Elias Wallen undertook in 1833 to reconstruct Government House in line with the plans of Robert Mills, the talented architect,then at the threshold of his career. Basin provisions of the contract called for: (1) razing the west wall, in order to extend the main building westward by 16' g"-, (2) razing the north wall, in order to widen the main building northward by 14' 6"-, (3) r.aising the main walls about 6' to a height of 241; 23 (4) adding a second story to the south wing. Work was completed in 1834. While the new structure incorporated the old east and south walls, the north and west walls were new except for whatever stone had been salvaged from the old walling. The south porch was rebuilt and extended along the east side of the wing. All parts of the structure had gained in height, and the main building was crowned with a parapet. There were now 16 rooms. One of these was the Post Office. Since most of the others were for courthouse or other Federal functions, the building was generally called "the 24 Courthouse." The Remodelling of 1873. During the Civil War, Federal troops were quartered in Government House. By 1866 it was again in bad condition. Interim repairs were made in 1868; then in 1873 the structure 11

PAGE 14

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region was remodelled a tbird time, using the plan of William M. Kimball. This time the south wing was removed, and the main building and porch extended westward some 27 feet. The roof plate was raised another 3 feet; a cornice replaced the parapet. A north porch 25 was added in 1889. After the 1873 remodelling, Post Office and customs were the only Federal tenants. Other tenants from time to time included the county court, Public Library, Peabody School, an artist, and a 26 bank. While Government House expanded in size, the lot was constricted. The widening of King's Road in 1839 had pushed back the south 27 boundary; widening Tolomato Street in 1871 sliced away the western boundary and destroyed Rosario lunette; and on the north, 28 a new street was cut through in 1890. The Reconstruction of 1936. Postal needs led to construction of an enlarged facility in 1936 (dedicated February 22, 1937). In recognition of historicity, Architect Mellen C. Greeley designed a facade reminiscent of the 1764 sketch. He retained three of the old walls. His plan shows these were the north wall (1834), the east wall (1713, partly reconstructed in 1786), and most of the south wall (17l3). Fenestration in these walls was changed, however, and the structure was again raised in height. 12

PAGE 15

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region A new wing was built over the site of the old south wing, and there 29 was utilitarian expansion toward the west. The new flU. S. Post Office and Customs House" also quartered other Federal agencies, including Agriculture (county agents), Coast Guard (Captain of the Port during World War II), Interior (National Park Service): and Justice (FBI agents). Postal need for the structure ended in 1965 with completion of a new Post Office in another location. Suitability of Property for Historic Monument Purposes Surviving Historical Remains. The existing U. S. Post Office, situated on the site of the first Spanish Governor's residence faces the original Spanish Plaza to the east. The existing site, now smaller than the original site, occupies the entire square bounded by Cathedral Place on the north, St. George Street on the east, King Street on the south, and Cordova Street on the west. The plan of the structure forms an irregular flL" on the eastern boundary of the property. Structures on the site have evolved in successive periods from the irregular complex of the Governor's residencercirca 1713,to an ilL" plant circa 1833, to a simple rectangular plan of 1873, then back to the present irregular form according to the drawings of Mr. Mellon C. Greeley in 1937. Inspection of these drawings and of the existing structure discloses no major deviations as of this date. The existing structure is 13

PAGE 16

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Regi on framed with fireproof steel columns and beams-,--concrEfte-floor slabs and steel trussed roof. Except for the new south wing and the extension to the west, this steel frame has been inserted within the shell of an older existing wall of native shellstone (coquina). According to the drawings, this existing wall was underpinned and shored at the time of new construction. The overall existing north dimension is 144' -10", incorporating 115' _4" of the older wall. At this point, the wall breaks back to enclose and demark the original older west wall of a distance of 7'6". The east wall, consisting of the entire older wall, measures 39'4". The older south wall continues from this point for 58'9" where it intersects the new wing added to the south. This intersection occurs at an old cross wall in the former interior, part of which is incorporated in the new interior. The drawings also indicate that the corner angles of the older wall are not square. They vary from 880 37'30" on the southeast corner 0 to 9116'30" on the northeast corner. The top and bottom of the old wall are indicated but not dimensioned. The old wall scales, from bottom below grade to top, at 27'0" on the north elevation. This old wall terminates just a few inches below the new struck stuCC0 cornice. All of the openings in the existing walls are new, the former openings having been filled with masonry as required. The former recessed 14

PAGE 17

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region portion of the east wall has also been filled in on the first floor only. The exterior finish is entirely new stucco except on the lower surface of the old north wall and the corners. Here the old coquina in irregular course heights is exposed. The modern tiled roof is gabled. Although no former openings exist, the 1937 drawings indicate their locations on .both plans and elevation. Although former ceiling heights are not shown, they may be approximated by scaling. On the north elevation, the distance between the heads of the former +first floor windows and the former second floor doorway is 2' 6"-; and the distance between the heads of former second floor window +openings and the top of the old masonry wall is 4'3"_ in the rooms on the east. The modern openings consist generally of wood casement windows and doors with stone sills. Two solid wood batten doors with iron straps and exposed hammered bolt heads are also used in the older section, and plate glass doors are used in the new portion of the main lobby. The existing building has a large stucco chimney on the north wall. Drawings indicate that an older chimney was used up to a point just above the new cornice line. There is another chimney on the west wall of the new addition. 15

PAGE 18

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region There is a modern wood balcony over the new main entrance on-the north wall and a similar one on the east wall. The south wall of the new wing also has a wood balcony. Along the south wall of the old wing is a new two storied gallery. The lower port-ion-is of--concrete floor, columns and ceiling. The upper gallery has wood columns and railings and exposed wood beams and ceiling. There are several enclosing walls on the property. A 4'0" wall of coquina encloses a small court on the north and a similar wall enclosed the larger patio on the southeast corner. Gate posts in these walls are 10'6". A service area on the west is enclosed with a 7'6" high concrete wall. None of the interior walls and partitions are original except for the small segment of the former cross wall, along which the new stone stair case is built. The plans do indicate, however, segments of former north-south walls, including former corner fireplaces. It is noted that these latter do not coincide with the existing fireplaces. The existing interior finishes vary according to the functions. All of the public spaces on the first floor make use of typically expected materials. Floors are terrazzo, patterned with inlays of white and black marble. Walls are plastered above a black marble base. The postal lobby screen wall is marble with metal grill above. False ceilings in these rooms vary. In the east lobby there is vaulted 16

PAGE 19

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region plaster between closely spaces beams. Exposed antiqued wood beams with plaster in-fill are used in the south lobby and exposed wood joists and wood ceiling occur in the main postal lobby. Modern ornamental lanterns are suspended from these ceilings. The chief decoration consists of ornamental plaster brackets at the pilasters and the plaster corner fireplaces in the east lobby and above on the second floor. There is also a rich fret work door on the west wall in the east lobby. In all other spaces used as offices and work space, the finish floors are oak, and the walls are painted plaster above the wood base. Incadescent light fixtures are suspended from the plaster ceilings. There is no face trim surrounding the doors and windows, which are set, generally, within the plaster reveals of walls and partitions. Interior doors are wood paneled. The building is air-conditioned with outlets either in the ceiling or in the walls. Structural surfaces in the mechanical equipment rooms on the second floor and in the basement are bare and untreated. In the attic, catwalks are installed down the centers of both wings. A layer of glass wood, approximately 6" thick is spread over the entire attic floor surface. Other Physical Characteristics. The structural components as well as the major interior and exterior finishes appear to be very 17

PAGE 20

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region good. However, the roof is reported to leak, especially at the intersection of the new gallery and the old south wall and around the chimney area. With proper maintenance of finishes, including the application of stucco on exposed coquina (which in practice was never exposed to weather), the existing structure can be expected to continue a long serviceable life for many years to come. Accessibility. Being in the center of the colonial area of St. Augustine, adjacent to the historic plaza, and one block away from a main artery of the city (Route A-I-A), the accessibility of the site is considered excellent. Adaptability. The condition of the surviving historical remains, the character of developments in the immediate vicinity, and the location of the site are such as to mAke the Old Post Office Building adaptable to effective treatment and development as a historic site for public use and enjoyment as a restored mansion, museum and library. No costs of restoration and museum developments or subsequent maintenance costs are included in the application. Boundaries. The proposed boundaries include the entire block bounded by Cathedral, Sto George, King and Cordova Streets, and are adequate to insure proper preservation of the historic features 18

PAGE 21

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region involved and interpretation of the historical significance of the building and site. Place in State or Regional Plan. From 1598 to House was the administrative center of Colonial The deliberations of royal officials, and conferences with frontier agents, emissaries fram English colonies and Indian nations were held here. The applicant states in the application: the preservation and restoration of this site and structure is the key element in the state-sponsored program for the restoration of the entire colonial city. State, city, county, private, and church expenditures toward this end have already passed the $5,000,000 mark, and will probably exceed $20,000,000." Proposed Use Program. The program of utilization submitted by the applicant includes the restoration and exhibition of the oldest portions of Government House, and the newest portions would be utilized for related historical purposes. Responsibility of Requesting Agency Legal Authority. The applicant is the St. Augustine Historical Restoration and Preservation Commission of the State of Florida. The Commission was created by Act of the Florida State Legislature, House Bill No. 774, Chapter 59-521, approved by the Governor on June 19, 1959. 19

PAGE 22

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region The purpose of the commission is to acquire, preserve, maintain, reconstruct, reproduce and operate Tor the use, benefit, education, recreation, enjoyment and general welIare of the of the State of Florida and nation, certain or landmarks, sites, cemeteries, graves, military works, monuments, locations, remains, buildings and other objects of historical or antiquarian interest of the city of St. Augustine, Florida, and surrounding territory. Adequacy of Financing. Financing will be dependent upon public appropriations and private donations which it is assumed be adequate. The applicant states this state agency which has as its current appropriation $300,000 from the state, $100,000 from the city and county, and $200,000 from private funds for its restoration program. Over five million dollars have been expended to date from public, private and church funds toward this end." Experience in Historical Work. The St. Augustine Historical Restoration and Preservation Commission was established by an act of legislature of the State of Florida in 1959 "to acquire, restore, preserve, historic landmarks buildings and other objects of historical interest Since that time and primarily as a part of the observance of the 400th anniversary of the City of St. Augustine, the Commission has taken 20

PAGE 23

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region the lead in a restoration program being carried on with public, private and church funds. The Commission is authorized to employ consulting engineers, architects, etc. to carry on work involving historical and has completed a number of undertakings involving restoration and reconstruction of historic buildings in old St. Augustine. Adequacy of Staff. Although the permanent staff is small, the authority to employ consultants provided in the enabling Act provides assurance that adequate professional staff can be obtained to carry out the work of the Commission. 21

PAGE 24

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region NOTES 1. "Architectural Evaluation, U. S. Post Office and Cus-toms House, St. Augustine, Florida," prepared by Woodrow Wilkins (Soci.ety of Architectural Historians, National Trust for Historic Preservation, and Pensacola Heritage Foundation) July 5, 1965 ms. in files of Southeast Regional Office, Richmond, 2. Gov. Mendez de Canzo of Florida to the crown, St. Augustine, February 23, 1598, Archivo General de Indias 54-5-9, in Woodbury Lowery, "Florida Manuscri pt," vol. 4. 3. Verne E. Chatelain, The Defenses of Spanish Florida 1565-1763 (Washington, D. C., 1941), p. 129-,-note 4. 4. Gov. Pedro de Ibarra to the crown, January 8, 1604, AGI 54-5-9/47; ide to id., April 12, 1604, AGI 54-5-9/49, both in Stetson Collection, University of Florida. The purchase was approved in crown to the governor of Florida, San Lorenzo, October 10, 1604, AGI 86-5-19 (SD 2528), SC. 5. Gov. Diego de Quiroga to the crown, June 8, 1690, AGI 54-5-12/102, SC; royal officials of Florida to the crown, April 20, 1696, AGI 54-5-15, SC. 6. Jonathan Dickinson's Journal or God's Protecting Providence (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1945), p. 80. 7. Gov. Francisco de Corcoles to the crown, August 13, 1709, AGI 58-1-28/66, SC. 8. Residencia de Don Jose de Zuniga y Cerda, St. Augustine, 1707, AGI 58-2-8, SC: Cuaderno 4, pp. 142-150, 315-318; Demanda pp. 350v-363v. 9. Corcoles to the crown, August 25, 1713, AGI 58-1-28/109, SC. 10. Gov. Manuel de Montiano to Gov. Juan Francisco de Guemes of Havana, April 3, 1739, East Florida Papers, Series 37, Letter no. 135, Library of Congress. 11. Gov. Juan de Ayala to the crown, April 18, 1717, AGI 58-1-30/64 SC. 12. Parish priest Juan Jose Solana to Don Julian de Arriaga, April 9, 1760, AGI 86-7-21/41,SC. 13. John Bartram, "Diary of a Journey through the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida. '.' in Transactions of the American Philosophical Society, vol. part 1 (Philadelphia, 1942), plate XVIII. 22

PAGE 25

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region 14. Charles W. Arnade, "The Architecture of Spanish St. Augustine," The Americas, XVIII, no. 2 (October 1961), 181-183. 15. Ibid. 16. Gov. Lucas de Palacio to Don Julian de Arriaga, July 15, 1761, AGI 86-6-6/25, SC. 17. Gov. James Grant to Board of Trade, March 1, 1765, British Public Record Office, Colonial Office, class V, vol. 540. 18. Id. to id., July 16, 1765, CO 5/540; statement of materials and labor, October 4, 1766, CO 5/541. 19. Mariano de la Rocque, Relacion de los reparos ejecutados en las obras del Rey, December 31, 1785, EFP, series 170, no. 297; id., December 31, 1786, EFP series 170, no. 245; id., December 31 1787, EFP, series 170, pp. 170-889. 20. Mariano de la Rocque, "Plano Particular de la Diudad de San Agustin de la Florida ," April 25, 1788. 21. Capt. J. C. Post to Lt. Col. Q. A. Gillmore, Charleston, October 11, 1880. 22. General Services Administration, "Government House, St. Augustine, Florida; A ijistorical Study" (Washington, D. C.: 1965), pp. 3,5, 12, 18, 21-23. 23. Ibid., 25, 30, 31. 24. Ibid., 35,36. 25. Ibid., 41, 45, 54-56, 59,65. 26. Ibid., 47, 49, 50, 62, 64. 27. Gov. Enrique White died in Government House on April 13, 1811 (EFP, Series 301-318; Testamentary Proceedings, Box 44 or Reel In 1813-1815, proceedings re the estate of Dona Maria del Carmen Hill show that Juan Jose Estrada, Sebastian Kindelan, and Jose Coppinger were paying rent to the deceased lady. Kindelan specifically inhabited a house of her property, fronting on San Carlos (Charlotte) street (ibid.). These gentlemen were the successors of Gov. White. ---28. "Government House .," 37, 38,65. 23

PAGE 26

GSA No. G-FLA-646 GSA Region Four NPS Southeast Region 29. Mellen C. Greeley, /Plan of! United States Post Office & House, St. Augustine, FlorIda, 1935; W. W. Wilkins, "Architectural Evaluation, U. S. Post Office and Customs House, St. Augustine, Florida, report to the National Park Service,fI St. Augustine, July 1965. 24