|UFDC Home||myUFDC Home | Help ||
ALL VOLUMES CITATION PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
311 CORPOIATIE IARE BLVD.
JACKSONVILLI, PILOIIDA 32210
IW,0 121-2111 71.21309
[LdETTMEd F TRAIOWmlTTAL
DATE: August 31, 1978
TO: Mr. Robert H. Steinbach, Dir. of
Research & Interpretation
Historic St. Augustine Preser-
Post Office Box 1987
St. Augustine, Fla. 32084
PROJECT NO: 7813 DeMesa-Sanchez House
If enclosures are not as noted, please inform us imme-
If checked below, please:
O Acknowledge receipt of enclosures.
.0 Return enclosures to us.
B herewith D under separate cover via
0 in accordance with your request _
0 approval D distribution to parties 0 information
O review & comment 5O record.
0 Change Order
0 Shop Drawing Prints
O Shop Drawing Reproducibles
O Product Literature
COPIES DWG. NOS. DATE DESCRIPTION CODE
1 Field Thvhy tgat-on' August 11, 1978
ACTION A. Approved D. Not approved
CODE: B. Approved as noted E. No action required
C. Revise and resubmit F. See remarks below
COPIES TO: (with enclosures)
0 BY: Herschel E. Shepard.
FIELD INVESTIGATION DEMESA-SANCHEZ HOUSE
FRIDAY, AUGUST 11, 1978
The framing of the porch floor above Space 109 has now been exposed to view.
All porch flooring and supplementary framing is of recent construction. The
original or early porch floor joists remain in place as do smaller purlins
which span east and west between the porch floor joists. The porch floor
joists and purlins have been painted or white-washed. The floor joists are
equally spaced forming seven approximately equal bays in the length of the
porch. At the west end of the porch, a joist is located hard against the
masonry wall. Six joists are equally spaced to the east of this first joist.
One additional equal spacing occurs between the sixth joist and the present
stuccoed partition wall located on the east side of the porch. Directly
above this stuccoed wall and approximately flush with its east face lies a
seventh joist badly deteriorated which does not exhibit' stucco as far as can
The tops of the joists slope down to the south to allow the porch to drain.
The south ends of the joists are approximately 5-3/4" deep. The width of
the joists varies from between 3-1/4 and 3-3/4". It is apparent that the
south end of the joists was originally carried by a beam over which the
joists framed without notching. The exact location of this beam, which is
now missing, cannot be determined with certainty for the white-wash or paint
finish continues to different places on the bottoms of these beams depending
upon the beam. In fact, the paint finish on the bottom of the second beam
from the east end appears to be continuous for its entire length. However,
the location of columns on the second floor would indicate that the original
edge beam was located flush with the outside edge of the floor joists. There
is some evidence that the beam may have been four inches in width, but this
The floor joists reach a depth of approximately eight inches at the south
face of the main wall of the structure. The joists appear to be continua-
tions of the floor joists supporting the second floor above the early kitchen;
S+eti-s- does not appear to be a splice above the masonry wall on the north side
of Space 109. The floor joists appear to have been hand-hewn.
The north face of the first purlin over Space 109 is located 3" south of the
north wall of the space. The purlin measures approximately 2" wide x 3"
deep. The ends of the purlins are half-notched at the bottom to frame into
and flush with the top surface of the joists. The second row of purlins is
located south of the first row. The north face of this row of purlins is
29" south of the south face of the first row of purlins. The second row
of purlins measures 21" wide x 3" deep and are notched into the joists in the
same manner as the first row. The third row of purlins is now missing but
a few notches in the joists remain. The purlins were located flush with
the outside edge of the floor joists and apparently measured approximately
2" deep by 2" wide.
The stucco on the north wall of this space apparently originally con- _
tinued to the bottom of the flooring and butted to it; -f-ia-is also evi-
dence that the wood framing below the porch was originally exposed to
All nails for scrap lumber used for furring to support plaster are wire
nails indicating the plaster ceiling was installed after 1900. However,
an additional row of purlins was added midway between the first and second
rows at some time after original construction and prior to 1900 as exhibi-
ted by the presence of cut nails in the ledgers supporting the purlins.
Many of these later purlins are of scrap lumber exhibiting white-wash or
paint. Some were replaced during later construction and some are severely
The concrete block and stucco arches at the present south wall of Space 109
are clearly of later construction. The block was apparently made locally
and exhibits coquina aggregate. The mortar appears to be a low quality
lime mortar. The date of this construction probably did not predate 1890.
Two layers of stucco are clearly visible on the block. The first layer is
approximately one-half inch thick and appears to have been made with lime
mortar. This stucco continues straight up the face of the block and
apparently did not continue above the openings in an arch shape. The second
layer of stucco is also approximately one-half inch thick and exhibits an
exposed coquina aggregate finish. This stucco forms the arches above the
two openings on the south side of the porch and was applied -&bevemetal
lathy to form the arches. This stucco obviously post-dates the earlier
stucco on the concrete block.
The door and partition at the east end of Space 109 exhibit mill machined
lumber and wire nails and of recent construction.
At the southwest corner of Space 109, part of the original edge beam may
be visible from the exterior. Correction: Further examination reveals
this cannot be the edge beam; further examination will be noted later in
Summary of Space 109: Space 109 should be restored as an exposed, exterior
porch with exposed framing above utilizing as much as possible of the ori-
ginal framing. All flooring must be replaced; wood columns and an edge
beam must be installed. The wrought iron grille framing the window in
the north wall of this space should be removed but the existing window and
frame should be reused although wood lintels and a wooden sub-sill visible
on the other side of the wall indicate that the visible window was installed
at a later date.
Door 110 and its frame were probably installed as part of very recent work
by Bath. The frame should be removed carefully to determine if earlier
construction is located beneath; portions of a rough buck and header which
may have been white-washed are visible although they appear to have been laid
in Portland cement mortar.
m/7o^1 'C.d'7- 6A AC/ ^ I &It ( U
As noted above, the floor joists above Room 110 appear to continue above
Space 109. The joists are hand-hewnand both joists and flooring have
been covered with white-wash. The joists average approximately 8" in
depth and widths vary as noted in Space 109. All of the joists appear to
have been installed at one time. Stripping for later plaster ceilings
has been notched into the bottom of many but not all of the joists. All
stripping exhibits wire nails indicating it post-dates 1900. However,
plaster at the fireplace between the west face of the fireplace and the
joist that stands to the west of the face of this fireplace approximately
one foot is located above the later stripping because the face of the plas-
ter is approximately flush with the bottom of the floor joists. However,
this plaster is very crudely done and is on machine-cut wood lath fastened
with wire nails indicating it dates also from post-1900. Note that the
south side of this fireplace is flanked with a header that has been white-
washed and is notched above ledgers affixed to the faces of the floor
joists. The fact that this header it not notched into the floor joists
may indicate it was installed at a later date but at a time when the ceil-
ing was exposed to view. The header also appears to be visible at the
north edge of the fireplace but built into the masonry approximately 15"
south of the north edge. In addition, there is visible above the plaster
the ends of planks which appear to extend above the coquina masonry. There
is a clear indication that the fireplace has been extensively rebuilt and
the area at the top of the fireplace and chimney in this room requires fur-