;t)k /T CyiLi) -
^^^^2 2 I'iI
.OLD KITCHEN first ..
1. Treat walls to prevent humidity, dampness -
2. Preservative for tabby floor
3. Replace roof (Peterson: make sure shingles are dress
4. Treatment of windows. Number of windows.
"5. Was there a loft in the original building? ---
6. Evidences of porch; or porches on original structure-
Remove enclosure on back porch upstairs -
Remove upstairs powder room --
Replaster ceiling in Game Room downstairs -
Whitewash walls and ceilings inside house. Paint
wood work original color. Putty nail holes?
Whitewash outside of house. Color of trim?
Add shutters on outside. Evidences of shutters inside?-
Consider opening door between Game!'- Room & Museum Room.
Trim house throughout
New roof -- -
Replace siding on the south wall of wing -
Treatment of dormer windows. Clipped back eaves?--.-
Preservative for tabby floors downstairs --
Partition in Meeting Room?
GARDEN AND GROUNDS
3. Eventually the garden and courtyard
Restoration of wall on Cadiz, gate, courtyard west of house
Treatment of east property line (remove present wall)
4,.. i ..
REPAIRS priorityy to those starred) page 2
*1. Check soundness of structure
a. Ceiling over fireplace in Meeting Room
b. Check gallery for repairs
c. Check all fireplaces
d. Cracks in floor
e. Hollow place in front hall
*2. Have coquina walls waterproofed at all cost f-'-
43. Open windows to give cross ventilation
4. Fix doors so that they will stay closed without being locked-- -
5. Walkway over tabby. What about a strip of smooth new
tabby for guests to walk on leaving the sides of floors
as they are? This will also show how floors were kept
in the past.
6. Check all wiring
Grade yard following excavation
Restore walkways following excavation
Repair fireplace (Steinback)
Replace cheap modern hardware on doors
Air condition, heat, or dehumidify where needed.
Remove unsightly wiring
Use of glass doors upstairs opening to gallery. Same
downstairs. In winter when doors are closed rooms are
Improve plumbing on the first floor
Add a housekeeping room (now using upstairs bathroom)
GARDEN AND GROUNDS
1. Sprinkler system
2. Landscape architect grade yard
3. Need for tool shed
4. Put all wiring under ground
5. Do away with telephone pole in corner of lot
6. Lighting for garden parties
7. Front of house need for sidewalk to protect balcony?
1. Age of old kitchen
2. Date wing was added. By whom?
3. Research lighting and fixtures appropriate to period
4. Research furnishings appropriate to period
5. Use of scoring on outer walls.
6. Use for garret?
7. Treatment (and number) of dormer windows in main house.
Check photographs for clipped eaves.
8. Name for our section of town during the English or First Spanish
Period. Second Spanish = Barrio de Iglesia. 1821 : Churchward.
9. Check Albert Manucy's studies of the tabby floors in Castillo.
10. Analyze the development of our building lot. Use of colors
11. Who was architect of Ximenez-Fatio House?
12. Publish something worthwhile a permanent mark in the libraries
of Florida history. Possibly a Bicentennial project. (Pete)
13. Something documentary be published at once to advertise project
and attract support of academic community.
14. Check recommendations list
15. Pull all information from present file on old kitchen and make
new file for use by architect.
1. Archaeological exploration of fireplace
2. Determine: age of wood work
type of roof
treatment of windows, number of windows
3. Examine addition to kitchen. Age of addition?
4. Was loft in original building or added later?
5. Investigate evidences of porch or porches
6. Use of present store room?
7. Replace roof. Peterson expressed a dislike for shake
shingles (rough split shingles) used on Llambias
house. Said to make sure ours were dressed.
GARDEN AND GROUNDS
1. Locate wells
2. Locate privy
3. Dig under back stairway as suggested by archaeologists
4. Remove concrete from under and around bottom of main
stairway to prevent rot and termites (Peterson)
5. Prior to any restoration work excavate the interior
courtyard and area around the old kitchen (Pete)
1. Determine age of wing
2. Determine original color of woodwork inside and out
3. Use of shutters inside and out? Original color?
4. Investigate stairway to attic as to age, etc.
5. Research: date of balcony
date of door to south of front door
date of back steps
date of door to patio from Meeting Room
6. Treatment and number of dormer windows. Clipped eaves?