Library Faculty Assembly meeting minutes

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Library Faculty Assembly meeting minutes
Physical Description:
Mixed Material
Creator:
Library Faculty Assembly
Publisher:
George A. Smathers Libraries, University of Florida
Place of Publication:
Gainesville, Fla.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of Florida Institutional Repository
Holding Location:
University of Florida
Rights Management:
All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
System ID:
AA00010872:00040


This item is only available as the following downloads:


Full Text

PAGE 1

Library Faculty Assembly Home Archives Documents Officers Assembly Committees Career Development Libraries Budget Nominating Strategic Planning Special & Joint Committees Faculty Committees Faculty Senators Sabbatical SPEP Tenure & Promotion Other Governance Committees UF Faculty Senate University Libraries Committee Future of the Libraries Committee myUFL login required Library Catalog Databases Site Map SearchFaculty Governance at the University of Florida LibrariesMinutes August 18, 2008: 10:00amLibrary East, Room 1A Vernon Kisling called the Library Faculty Assembly meeting to order at 10:05 AM. He welcomed Assembly members and introduced the LFA officers for 2008-2009. The agenda was approved as distributed. The minutes of the Assembly's meetings for May 12, 2008 and June 16, 2008 along with the minutes for the LFA Planning Meeting held July 21, 2008 were approved as posted on the Library Governance webpage. There were no member comments. Vernon hopes that this will be a part of the meeting where members will bring items that are not on the agenda. He suggested that members who did not want to speak could send topics/ comments to the LFA officers if they chose.Chair's ReportMeeting schedule for 2008-09 will alternate between morning and afternoons. The full schedule is: 2008 August 18, 2008 / LE 1A / 10:00-11:30 AM September 15, 2008 / LE 1A / 3:00-4:30 PM October 20, 2008 / LE 1A / 10:00-11:30 AM November 17, 2008 / LE 1A / 3:00-4:30 PM December 15, 2008 / LE 1A / 10:00-11:30 AM 2009 January 19, 2009 / LE 1A / 3:00-4:30 PM February 16, 2009 / LE 1A / 10:00-11:30 AM March 16, 2009 / LE 1A / 3:00-4:30 AM April 20, 2009 / LE 1A / 10:00-11:30 PM May 25, 2009 [4th Monday] / LE 1A / 3:00-4:30 PM June 22, 2009 [4th Monday] / LE 1A / 10:00-11:30 AM July 20, 2009 [Planning Meeting] / LW 429 / 10:00-11:30 PM At this time meetings are scheduled for Library East, however they will be rotated between Smathers, Health and Legal Information Center more often than in past years. Stay tuned for updates in locations. The agenda will be modified to provide is more time for the Administration and Senate Updates. Agendas will have more Health and LIC issues and fewer Smathers issues. Vernon has instructions for setting up teleconferences in the Library East meeting room which will allow for Borland Library participation in LFA meetings.Issues to be considered during 2008-09

PAGE 2

Vernon deferred discussion of the issues to later in the discussion of the committees and proposed activity.Administration UpdatesLegal Information CenterChristopher Vallandingham reported: Elizabeth Outler is now Head of Public Services. Ed Hart is now Head of Technical Services. The Legal Information Center is recruiting a webmaster. Kathie Price is back from South Africa. Jessica Whitman is teaching Advanced Legal Research this semester. The Legal Information Center will close on all Saturdays' with home football games.HealthBeth Layton that library renovations are being discussed with Starbucks and the bookstore. There is meeting wit all parties on Thursday. The first floor will be a more active area. Wallace McLendon has presented about the Collaborations' Commons at a Libraries Journal Club. A second floor collaborations room with more technology and white boards for faculty to use is in development. There are also some minor renovations going on now. Health is proposing closing at 5:30 PM on the Fridays before home football games.SmathersJudy Russell announced that the Development and Grants positions have been filled. Positions will be occupied in September and October. The search committee is starting phone interviews for the Marston position and Smathers is working on the Judaica position. Dean Russell reported that there are several digital repository initiatives converging that the UF libraries will be considering and participating in CSUL, the ASERL and GPO Legacy initiatives. These will be discussed more at Library Council. Judy would like to identify one million pages and then have Sam Huang identify sources to fund their digitization. Smathers will continue to have extended hours for Fall and Spring semester exams. The Year End Budget Summary will be posted to the web. Smathers is actively looking at the Acquisitions Budget as there continue to be forecasts of further budget cuts by the state. Smathers Merit Pay Distribution Dean Russell distributed the model for Merit Pay distribution and asked for comments. The model is posted on Smathers webpage Jimmie Lundgren suggested that "achieves with distinction" be used rather than "exceeds expectations". Judy expressed concern that this would make the merit pay distribution a cost of living adjustment (COLA) which is not the purpose of the distribution. Betsy Simpson asked if University Librarians will be evaluated with similar criteria. Dean Russell reported that the Chair rankings and other rankings were used to identify people with special considerations. Questions were asked about how people who were just evaluated in a new rank or have just moved to a new rank would be affected. Judy would need to go back and look to be able to answer this question. Amy Buhler asked how new hires will fit into the process. Jimmie Lundgren had understood from Vernon that the Faculty Assembly will look into the evaluation process for faculty so that it is consistent for all librarians. Smathers library administration has identified this as a concern. It will be on the agenda for Library Council.

PAGE 3

It was asked whether this distribution of merit might be the same for coming years. Judy reported that the Board of Trustees has recommended to the legislature that the faculty get a 4% salary increase next year. The legislature did not want UF to give raises this year since state employees were not getting increases. The state's economic advisors are expecting the downturn not to change direction until 2010. Rich Bennett asked about the how union negotiations would affect merit pay distributions. Judy responded that negotiations are continuing. In-unit raises will be dependent on union negotiations. Out-of-unit raises will go forward as scheduled for Sept. 19. Vernon asked about the union approving merit pay distribution. A ballot is needed for faculty to approve the merit pay plan. Brian Keith reported that there will be some advice from the union regarding how much and how to distribute. There are discussions about the adequacy of a 3% raise and the timing of the distribution. The university is working on the raise files currently. Brian gave a history of the 2006 negotiations. How are Health and Law distributing merit pay? Beth Layton reported that Health is discussing merit pay. Faculty personnel evaluations are being brought up to date. Christopher Vallandingham reported that the LIC is waiting on the Law School Dean's decision.Senate / Senate-UF Committees UpdateNaomi Young reported that the next meeting the Faculty Senate is August 28 in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom. Machen will give a state of the University address. Frank Bova is the new chair of the senate and he will present his focus for the year. There are several information items which include agriculture degrees that are sun setting. Meetings are the third Thursday of the month from 3-5 PM and are usually in the Reitz Union Auditorium. Nancy Poehlmann and Naomi will attend the Senate workday. Naomi encouraged faculty to attend the meeting in person on via video streaming. Naomi is on the Council on Disabilities. They will be revising the ADA Office's Faculty Guide: Providing Service and Access to Students and Employees with Disabilities in Higher Education: Effective and Reasonable Accommodations this year. ( http://www.ada.ufl.edu/publications/resourceguides/faculty_guide.html )Committee ReportsIn several instances additional committee members are needed. If you are interested, please contact Vernon by August 28.Nominating CommitteeJoe Aufmuth will be calling a meeting soon. The T&P committee needs three members to be elected so that the committee can begin its Fall activity with packet reviews and third year reviews. There will be a Special meeting to the T&P in September.Ombudsman CommitteeOne additional member is needed for this committee. Vernon would like to have a more experienced/ seasoned librarian fill the slot.Strategic Planning CommitteeVernon Kisling will charge the SPC to look at merit criteria to establish some standard criteria that could be applied on a sliding scale when merit is available. More members may be needed for this committee.Appointment, Promotion and Tenure Committee

PAGE 4

Vernon Kisling has drafted a charge. The committee will start by looking at mentoring and tenure support activities for colleagues to help colleagues. He hopes that some of the existing tenure support committee members will be willing to participate on this committee.Libraries Budget CommitteeThis new committee was established at the end of last year and needs members. Please contact Vernon to volunteer. NEW Special / Joint Committees Their work needs to be complete is 2008/2009.Joint Committee on Tenure HomesVernon has had some volunteers but needs one to two more. Vernon will consult with Library Administration on the appointment of members. This committee's work needs to go to the Faculty Senate to fulfill a promise made when the Library Reorganization was discussed. It would be good to have the report by January 2009.Joint Committee on Market Equity AnalysisUF has put in place that an individual can petition for market equity review. The libraries are obligated to have a process as part of the October 2006 MOU. There had been an earlier group that had looked at the process and criteria. There have been concerns about the standards to be used in assessing market equity for academic librarians. UF libraries may need to make a proposal to the Faculty Union since the ARL tables do not meet the need. This committee will make recommendations regarding resolving the issues of salary compression for when money becomes available. Vernon has had several volunteers but needs more to turn names to the Dean for committee appointment.Non-Tenure Faculty Promotion Criteria CommitteeNon-Tenured promotions will now go to the Academic Personnel Board and the timing and process need to be similar to the tenure process. The committee will look at criteria for promotion non-tenured faculty and some procedural items such as votes will need to be determined. The activity of this committee should be completed by later January or early February. Vernon has had some volunteers for this committee but needs more. Inclusion of Health and LIC representatives will be considered. There has been a volunteer form FCLA.LFA Officer ReportsThere were no officer reports. There was no Old Business. There was no New Business The meeting adjourned at 11:15 AM. The next meeting will be September 15, 2008 in Library East from 3:00PM-4:30 PM.Staff Web | Staff Directory | Library Hours | RSS | About the Staff Site | Privacy Policy Send suggestions and comments to Carrie Newsom 2004 2006 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries. All rights reserved. Terms of Use for Electronic Resources and Copyright Information Last updated December 20, 2007 cn