Library Faculty Assembly meeting minutes

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Library Faculty Assembly meeting minutes
Physical Description:
Mixed Material
Creator:
Library Faculty Assembly
Publisher:
George A. Smathers Libraries, University of Florida
Place of Publication:
Gainesville, Fla.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of Florida Institutional Repository
Holding Location:
University of Florida
Rights Management:
All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
System ID:
AA00010872:00039


This item is only available as the following downloads:


Full Text

PAGE 1

Library Faculty Assembly Home Archives Documents Officers Assembly Committees Career Development Libraries Budget Nominating Strategic Planning Special & Joint Committees Faculty Committees Faculty Senators Sabbatical SPEP Tenure & Promotion Other Governance Committees UF Faculty Senate University Libraries Committee Future of the Libraries Committee myUFL login required Library Catalog Databases Site Map SearchFaculty Governance at the University of Florida LibrariesPlanning Meeting Minutes June 21, 2008: 9:30amLibrary West, Room 429 Joe Aufmuth called the meeting to order at 9:30 AM. The following officers, senators and committee chairs were present and introduced themselves: Joe Aufmuth, Vernon Kisling, Christopher Vallandingham, Matthew Loving, Nancy Poehlmann, Linda Butson, Patrick Reakes, Ed Hart, Elizabeth Outler and Jan Swanbeck. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the proposed business agenda for upcoming year 2008-09. The agenda was approved as distributed and enhanced by an email of issues that had been sent by Dean Russell. Many of her concerns were already on our agenda.The meeting schedule for 2008-09 was reviewed.There was discussion concerning the times and requests made to push back the morning meetings to begin at 10:00 am to allow faculty members more time in their office on Monday mornings and to keep with the 3:00 start time for the afternoon meetings. Meetings will now be scheduled to last 1.5 hours though they may not be that long. Most will be held in Library East Room 1A. This should accommodate the ability for Borland librarians to participate via conference call.2008 August 18, 2008 / LE 1A / 10:00-1130 September 15, 2008 / LE 1A / 3:00-4:30 October 20, 2008 / LE 1A / 10:00-11:30 November 17, 2008 / LE 1A / 3:00-4:30 December 15, 2008 / LE 1A / 10:00-11:302009 January 19, 2009 / LE 1A / 3:00-4:30 February 16, 2009 / LE 1A / 10:00-11:30 March 16, 2009 / LE 1A / 3:00-4:30 April 20, 2009 / LE 1A / 10:00-11:30 May 25, 2009 [4th Monday] / LE 1A / 3:00-4:30 June 22, 2009 [4th Monday] / LE 1A / 10:00-11:30 July 20, 2009 [Planning Meeting] / LW 429 / 10:00-11:30 Law and Health need to determine which meeting they want to host and notify Vernon so he can cancel the Library East room on those dates.Forthcoming business items for 2008-09Joint Committee On Tenure Homes [Smathers Libraries]We do need to address the definition of tenure homes that are appropriate for the Smathers Libraries faculty. Judy would like to know how we plan to address this and develop a timeline for recommendations. Tenure homes would not change before the votes on tenure and promotion this fall so the current class of candidates would not be adversely affected. Jimmie Lundgren has begun work in this area, and it seems reasonable for her to continue to be actively involved in this process. There needs to be a discussion of where tenure will take place in the divisions, in the libraries overall. Regarding the committee there needs to be 1 representative from Health and one from Law, one from Faculty at large, one representative from each of the existing tenure homes, one non -tenured faculty and a member of the T&P committee. Joe and Vernon will call for volunteers and then meet to recommend appointments to a joint committee.Reorganization Status [Smathers Libraries]One column of the reorganization (Technology and Support Services) has not been completed.Merit IncreasesVernon will ask the Strategic Planning Committee to review the existing criteria and

PAGE 2

processed for applying those criteria to be prepared if merit increases were to become available this fiscal year.Joint Committee On Market Equity Analysis [Smathers Libraries]LFA needs to identify individuals to work with Brian Keith on faculty market equity. There are two things to accomplish. First, the procedures for an individual faculty member who wants to request a market equity pay increase need to be prepared. This is a University requirement that we have not yet fulfilled. Second, a set of criteria and system for assessing all UF library faculty positions for market equity needs to be developed, so we will be more cognizant of areas where we have problems and prepared to act if funds for funds become available for that purpose. Towards this end, we have already secured a commitment for Kim Schares, Assistant Director for Classification and Compensation, to serve on the committee. Suzanne Brown should represent the Faculty Union. Joe, Vernon and Christopher will meet to recommend appointments to a joint committee.Non Tenured Faculty Promotion [Smathers Libraries]Criteria and procedures for Assistant-in and Associate-in Faculty The University now requires in unit Assistant-in and Associate-in faculty to seek promotion in a manner comparable to tenure track faculty seeking promotion to the next higher level. Recommendations on the criteria to be met (which should emphasize job responsibilities rather than scholarship and service) and the procedures to be followed are needed from LFA. Time is of the essence because there is at least one faculty member who would like to submit a packet in support of promotion this fall. Vernon will call for volunteers for a committee. Jimmie Lundgren will be asked to take the lead. Sub-Assemblies Discussion with Library Directors, LFA officers and Library Senators is scheduled for Wednesday August 13 at Library West.Libraries Teacher Of The Year Award NominationsIs A Special Committee Needed? Initially the Library Instruction Committee was suggested as a place for this. However, the organization of Library Instruction Committee is changing in Smathers. Vernon will look at this issue over time.Committee mattersAppointment, Promotion and Tenure Committee statusThere is concern as to how to meld T&P with the appointment and handbook revision components. This is a big task. Jan Swanbeck asked about the T&P support group which was organized by her, Patrick Reakes and Michelle Foss. How should this be formalized into the LFA organization? Does there need to be an HR person involved ex officio?Ombudsman Committee need to continue?It has been difficult to obtain a volunteer to complete the membership of this committee. After discussion, it seems like membership on this committee may be appropriate for the Immediate past Chair of the Assembly. This needs further discussion.Strategic Planning CommitteeSee the discussion Of Merit Pay earlier.Nominating CommitteeThere will be an election August for new T&P Committee members to represent Marston, Library West and Government Docs. Call for Nominations will be made soon.Budget CommitteeThere still needs to be discussion how the Budget Committee will work with the different budgets of the libraries.Libraries Senators Senate mattersThere were no matters brought forwardHealth Science Center Libraries HSC mattersThere were no matters brought forward.Legal Information Center LIC mattersThere were no matters brought forward.

PAGE 3

Joe Aufmuth adjourned the meeting at 11:00 am.Meeting schedule for 2008-09 *****Tentative*****Note: DATES are third Monday of each month unless otherwise noted. These dates avoid conferences for ALA, SLA, MLA and AALL. Note: TIMES will alternate between morning and afternoon sessions. One and a half hours will be scheduled for each meeting, but need not last that long. Note: LOCATION will be in Library East Room 1A except the July 20, 2009 planning meeting which will be in Library West Room 429. Health Sciences Center Library and Legal Information Center need to notify us about which dates they would like to host the meetings (I will then cancel our meeting room for these dates). August 18, 2008 / LE 1A / 10:00-11:30 September 15, 2008 / LE 1A / 3:00-4:30 October 20, 2008 / LE 1A / 10:00-11:30 November 17, 2008 / LE 1A / 3:00-4:30 December 15, 2008 / LE 1A / 10:00-11:30 January 19, 2009 / LE 1A / 3:00-4:30 February 16, 2009 / LE 1A / 10:00-11:30 March 16, 2009 / LE 1A / 3:00-4:30 April 20, 2009 / LE 1A / 10:00-11:30 May 25, 2009 [4th Monday] / LE 1A / 3:00-4:30 June 22, 2009 [4th Monday] / LE 1A / 10:00-11:30 July 20, 2009 [Planning Meeting] / LW 429 / 10:00-11:30Staff Web | Staff Directory | Library Hours | RSS | About the Staff Site | Privacy Policy Send suggestions and comments to Carrie Newsom 2004 2006 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries. All rights reserved. Terms of Use for Electronic Resources and Copyright Information Last updated December 20, 2007 cn