Library Faculty Assembly meeting minutes

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Library Faculty Assembly meeting minutes
Physical Description:
Mixed Material
Creator:
Library Faculty Assembly
Publisher:
George A. Smathers Libraries, University of Florida
Place of Publication:
Gainesville, Fla.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of Florida Institutional Repository
Holding Location:
University of Florida
Rights Management:
All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
System ID:
AA00010872:00034


This item is only available as the following downloads:


Full Text

PAGE 1

Library Faculty Assembly Home Archives Documents Officers Assembly Committees Career Development Libraries Budget Nominating Strategic Planning Special & Joint Committees Faculty Committees Faculty Senators Sabbatical SPEP Tenure & Promotion Other Governance Committees UF Faculty Senate University Libraries Committee Future of the Libraries Committee myUFL login required Library Catalog Databases Site Map SearchFaculty Governance at the University of Florida LibrariesMinutes March 17, 2008: 3:00pmHealth Science Center Library, Room C3-72 Joe Aufmuth called the meeting to order at 3:00 PM. Beth Layton moved that the agenda be approved as distributed. Cathy Martyniak seconded and the agenda was approved. Cecilia Botero moved that the minutes from February 18, 2008 LFA meeting were approved with one change removal of subtitle "Reorganization Committee Member Selection". Peter Bushnell seconded and the minutes were approved. Joe Aufmuth thanked the Health Science Center Libraries for the reception and refreshments for the meeting and welcomed Wallace McLendon, Director of the Health Science Center Libraries to the University of Florida. There were no member comments.Chair's ReportJoe Aufmuth reported on the Reorganization proposal. Two alternatives were proposed and the poll was in favor of the Dean's proposal. It was presented today March 17, 2008 at the Infrastructure and Support Council. It will move forward if University Libraries Committee approves the proposal. They are being polled at present. If approved, the proposal will move to the Senate Steering Committee on April 3 to the Faculty Senate meeting on April 17 either as an information item or as an information and action item. Once the proposal is approved by the Faculty Senate, the Libraries will move forward with a discussion of tenure homes.Library Administration UpdatesSmathersJohn Ingram reported that there has been no information about how the University of Florida's administrative changes will affect the University Libraries. There were not other updates.LawChristopher Vallandingham reported for Kathie Price that the Directors of the Law Libraries of Florida will meet Friday March 21 at the Levin Law SchoolHealthWallace McLendon welcomed the Assembly to the Health Science Center Library. HSCL will be submitting the proposed budget for 2008-9 on Friday. It will include a $400,000 cut. Next week Mr. McLendon will meet with Aramark to discuss opportunities to cooperate in providing food and bookstore and renovation of library space. Mr. McLendon looks forward in working with other libraries on campus as we continue to set an example of collaboration for the UF campus.Senate UpdatePatrick Reakes reported on last month's Faculty Senate meeting. The next Senate meeting will be this Thursday, March 20, 2008. President Machen will be addressing the Senate. The agenda of the meeting is posted on the Senate website http://www.senate.ufl.edu/ Information items include Sabbatical and Professional Development Leave Recommendations, University Curriculum Committee and General Education Council Chair Proposal, the Vehicle Management Plan and Sunset proposal to sunset the PhD and EdD in Student Personnel in Higher Education degrees Action items include: Graduate Council Proposal to Sunset Master of Health Science in Physical Therapy (MHS) Process Graduate Degree Program, Honorary Degrees Committee nominees and General Education Committee Gordon Rule Proposal which will include a change in the requirements for a measurement of writing ability as a part of the Gordon Rule and Committee on Committees membership revision proposal to the Preservation of Historic Buildings and Sites Committee.Committee Reports

PAGE 2

Nominating CommitteeRae Jesano gave the report of the Nominating Committee. Faculty Senate (1 open seat for a three year term) Ellie Bushhousen (HSC) Nancy Pohlmann (Smathers) UFLFA Officers: Chair-elect: Chris Vallandingham (LIC) Three year term as chair-elect, chair and immediate past-chair. Secretary: Linda Butson (HSC) One year term Nominating committee: Three year term Public Services: Marilyn Ochoa Technical Services: Hakura Nakano (Matt Loving, Collections; Elizabeth Outler, LIC; Rae Jesano, HSC; terms continue) Rae Jesano moved that the nominations be closed and let the slate stand as presented. Peter Mc Kay seconded. The slate was accepted. Election of officers will occur at the April meeting. There were no reports from the following Committees: Appointment, Promotion and Tenure Committee, Strategic Planning Committee and the Ombudsman Committee. A representative from the Legal Information Center is still need for the Ombudsman CommitteeLFA Officer ReportsChair Elect, Vernon Kisling presented the proposal of transfer of T&P Committee to LFA Assembly as the Appointment, Promotion and Tenure Committee, the Standing rules changes, and Bylaws changes to be voted on at April meeting. The documents under review are located at http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/LFA/reports/index.html Proposal of transfer of T&P Committee to LFA Assembly as the Appointment, Promotion and Tenure Committee. If approved the proposal will go to Dean Russell, the T&P committee would become the Appointment Promotion and Tenure Committee and there would be an expansion of duties. The charge would remain the same. The following concerns were expressed: The appointment processes are not the same in all the library systems on campus.-Smathers, Legal Information Center and Health. Since appointment is handled differently in the 3 library systems should there be an appointment committee in each unit Assembly Jimmie Lundgren stated that a member of T&P meets with all the Smathers library candidates during their job interviews to explain the T&P process and give input into the candidate's ability to successfully complete the process. Are there overarching appointment issues that can be addresses by a UFLFA committee? There has been an issue of tenure upon hire. Does the proposal need to be presented to the Directors of the Health Science Center Library and the Legal Information Center in addition to Dean Russell before being adopted. It was stated that the focus of the committee is the procedural steps in appointment. We have a well documented Promotion and Tenure process, but not a will document appointment process. More detail needs to be worked out to assure that the processes are fair and open to everyone. There representation on the Assembly's Recruitment and Selection Taskforce includes only Smathers representatives. Are their recommendations for all the libraries? There will be an April 7 Town meeting on the Committee's recommendations and with distribution on April 27 and discussion and approval scheduled for April 17th Assembly meeting. It was determined that there needs to be more discussion and work on the proposal before it is brought to the Assembly for a vote. Standing Rules changes to be voted on at April meeting are located at http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/LFA/reports/index.html Proposed changes include: Revision of the standard agenda for regular meetings of the Assembly Procedures for creating special committees Changes in election procedures

PAGE 3

Creation of a Smathers Libraries Faculty Assembly Bylaws changes to be voted on at April meeting: are located at http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/LFA/reports/index.html Proposed changes include: Purpose of the overall Assembly and establishment of separate Assemblies for the Smathers Libraries, Health Science Center Libraries, and the Lawton Chiles Legal Information Center. Establishment of a Standing committee on Library Budget There was discussion about whether the Budget committee and the Strategic Planning Committees should be part of the large Assembly structure or be part of the smaller assemblies since the libraries are administratively and budgetarily separate. It was agreed that there needs to be more spelled out in the proposed changes before they can be voted on. There was no report from Past Chair, Carol Kem or Secretary, Linda Butson. There was no old business. There was no new business.AnnouncementsPeter Bushnell announced that the will Gainesville Community Chorus will perform Verdi's Requiem on Saturday, March 22 at the Phillips Center. The Assembly adjourned at 3:55 PM. Next meeting will be held April 21, 2008; 3:00pm at Marston Science Library, Room 107. This will be the Assembly's Annual Business Meeting.Staff Web | Staff Directory | Library Hours | RSS | About the Staff Site | Privacy Policy Send suggestions and comments to Carrie Newsom 2004 2006 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries. All rights reserved. Terms of Use for Electronic Resources and Copyright Information Last updated December 20, 2007 cn