Caribbean Area ( lcsh ) Electric railroads -- Cars-- Puerto Rico. ( lcsh ) Plaza Baldorioty de Castro (San Juan, Puerto Rico) -- ( lcsh ) San Juan (Puerto Rico) -- 1900-1910 ( lcsh ) Photochrom prints ( lcsh )
San Juan (Puerto Rico)
Depicts the Plaza de Armas y Alfonso XIII and San Juan's city hall, on the left. The U.S. military occupied the building at the time. Two streetcars pass the buildings.
"On the north side of the plaza is the Ayuntamiento, a reproduction of the Municipal Building or Casa del Rey of Madrid. Originally an old residence, the city bought and reconstructed it between 1796-99. The facade is featured by two graceful towers, one housing a chime clock placed there in 1819. Under there two towers, and connecting them, is an arcade wall in traditional romantic style." -- WPA Guide, 1940. The square has been renamed Plaza Baldorioty de Castro. The seedlings bordering the square and barely visible here have grown into large, shady trees.
Detroit Photograph Company. Photochroms. Box 2.