1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color. 18 x 23 cm.
Jackson, William Henry
Detroit Publishing Co.
Place of Publication:
Subjects / Keywords:
Caribbean Area ( lcsh ) Havana (Cuba) -- 1900-1910. ( lcsh ) Palacio del Gobierno General -- Havana (Cuba) ( lcsh ) Plaza de Armas -- (Havana, Cuba) ( lcsh ) Palace of the Captains General -- (Havana, Cuba) ( lcsh )
The Palace of the Captains General housed Cuban governors from 1790 to 1920. At the time this view was taken, the U.S. military governor occupied the building. The original painted stucco, visible in this photochrom, has since been removed, and the stone walls are bare. The palace now contains the Museum of the City of Havana. This photochrom also shows the Plaza de Armas, Havana's oldest square. The name derives from its days as a military parade ground. A statue of Spanish King Ferdinand VII (Fernando VII) stands in the middle of the plaza. Cubans hated the king and his statue. So, it has been replaced with one of Carlos Manuel de Céspedes.