Library of Congress information bulletin

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Library of Congress information bulletin
Portion of title:
L.C. information bulletin
Running title:
LC information bulletin
Abbreviated Title:
Libr. Congr. inf. bull.
Physical Description:
v. : ill. ; 26-28 cm.
Language:
English
Creator:
Library of Congress
Publisher:
The Library
Place of Publication:
Washington, D.C
Publication Date:
Frequency:
weekly
regular

Subjects

Genre:
serial   ( sobekcm )
federal government publication   ( marcgt )
bibliography   ( marcgt )
periodical   ( marcgt )

Notes

Citation/Reference:
Art and archaeology technical abstracts
Citation/Reference:
Index to U.S. government periodicals
Citation/Reference:
Public Affairs Information Service bulletin
Citation/Reference:
Library literature
Dates or Sequential Designation:
Vol. 31, no. 1 (Jan. 6, 1972)-
General Note:
Title from caption.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of Florida
Rights Management:
All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier:
aleph - 000484231
oclc - 02566556
notis - ACQ2099
lccn - 83-641631
issn - 0041-7904
Classification:
lcc - Z733.U57 I6
ddc - 027.573
nlm - Z 733 L697
System ID:
AA00008458:00040

Related Items

Preceded by:
Information bulletin (Library of Congress)


This item is only available as the following downloads:


Full Text
. L?: 3l //,., .;

LIBRARY '9 .
O F-^ ,k JAN 1973 s

CONGRESS. I
INFORMATION
BULLETIN
Vol. 31, No. 44 November 3, 1972


75TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE MAIN BUILDING, LIBRARY OF CONGRESS









LC Information Bulletin


View of the rear of the Main Building, looking south, taken August 6, 1892. Workmen digging a tunnel to carry books
New Hampshire granite blocks used for the exterior walls of the new building between the Library (in the background)
are stored on the ground. The heating plant tower on the left was removed and the U.S. Capitol building. The photo-
in the early 1930's. graph isdatedAugust 16, 1895.


LIBRARY'S MAIN BUILDING OPENED TO PUBLIC 75 YEARS AGO
Grandeur Heightens Enjoyment of Literary Feast


By John Y. Cole

On a rainy Monday, November 1, 1897, the "larg-
est, costliest, and safest" library building in the world
opened its doors to the public. In a front-page story,
the Washington Evening Star noted that "the rain did
not come amiss to the bookworms" who eagerly
rushed to the new Library of Congress that day, "but
rather served to heighten their enjoyment of the liter-
ary feast provided for them."
The $7 million dollar structure, imposingly situated
just across the east plaza from the Capitol, was
desperately needed. Since 1875 when the Library in
the Capitol exhausted its shelf space and "from sheer
force of necessity" began to pile its incoming books,

ON THE COVER: A view, taken May 22, 1895. of the
front of the Main Building during construction. The Main
Entrance staircase which faces First St., S.E., is partially
completed.


maps, music, prints, photographs, and manuscripts on
the floor, the rapidly-growing collections had spilled
into a dozen separate locations throughout the
Capitol, including its cellar crypts. The new Italian
Renaissance building not only was the most spacious
and modern library facility in existence; its monu-
mental conception and design, combining architec-
ture, sculpture, and painting on a scale unsurpassed in
any American public building, represented a unique
architectural achievement. The Library's glittering
dome, plated with 23-carat gold, capped an elabo-
rately decorated facade and interior which were en-
riched by the works of about 50 American artists. A
contemporary guidebook exclaimed that "America is
justly proud of this gorgeous and palatial monument
to its National sympathy and appreciation of Litera-
ture, Science, and Art." The United States had
"proved" that it could surpass any European library
in grandeur and devotion to classical culture.
Although it was first proposed by the Librarian in
1871, construction of the new building did not begin









November 3, 1972


until 1889. Eight years later, in February of 1897, it
was ready for occupancy. The transfer of the Library
was to take place in March, but an extra session of
the 55th Congress forced a delay. Finally, on July 31,
1897, the rooms in the Capitol were closed and the
move of the 800,000 volumes and several hundred
tons of other library materials began two days later.
Librarian of Congress John Russell Young described
the scene: "All Library work was suspended in every
department except what was necessary for the trans-
fer of the books. Every assistant was assigned to this
duty. Few leaves of absence were granted and those
(were) for emergency. We were fortunate so far as the
weather was concerned; and, as a result of the care,
foresight, and industry of the staff, the whole Li-
brary, with its manifold and various treasures, was
removed in ten weeks."
Long, well-soaped wooden chutes carried the books
from the upper floor of the Capitol to the horse-
drawn wagons waiting at its east front. Specially-
constructed boxes held one shelf of books "neatly
and without fear of disarrangement," and watchmen
kept each wagon load of 18 to 20 boxes under careful
surveillance as it was pulled slowly across the east
plaza. At the new building, the books were "cleaned"
by a blast of air which raised clouds of dust "even
from volumes supposed to have been previously
cleaned." According to a description of this process
in the Library Journal, "so far the only insect dis-
covered... has been the cockroach, which does not
injure the old books but is attracted by the paste on
the new." The books were then placed on previously-
designated shelves in the new structure.
A reorganization of the Library coincided with the
shift into the new building. The legislative appropria-
tion act signed by President Cleveland on February
19, 1897, gave the Librarian of Congress full responsi-
bility for conduct of the Library's business, including
the formulation of proper "rules and regulations" and
the appointment of the staff, which was increased
from 42 to 108. The law provided for a Superinten-
dent of Building and Grounds, a Register of Copy-
rights with a staff of 29, a catalogue department of
17 persons, and smaller "departments" for arts, the
Congressional reference library (to remain in the
Capitol), law, manuscripts, maps and charts, music,
and periodicals. Staff was also provided for "general
services," the Representatives' and Senators' reading
rooms, the Toner library, the Washingtoniana collec-
tion, and the stamping and packing rooms.
The delay in the move of the Library made it
impossible to make the new appointments or organize


the new administrative departments on July 1, 1897,
as originally intended. Instead, Librarian Young made
the new appointments later in the new fiscal year, "as
soon as there was work to be done." Even though the
building formally opened on November 1, 1897, the
(Continued on p. 470)

TOP: Photograph, dated October 16, 1894, showing the con-
struction of the columns and arches in the Great Hall. This
view looking toward the northwest corner shows the fire-
proof brick base which was covered by marble.
BOTTOM: Modellers producing a variety of relief arabesque
and minor sculpture of stucco which was used in the decora-
tion of the main halls and galleries. The Stucco Shop was
located on the second floor, presumably in the room now
occupied by the Anglo-American Law Reading Room. The
photograph was taken on July 19, 1894.


467








LC Information Bulletin


ARTIFACTS FROM THE 1890's

By Helen-Anne Hilker

As the Library of Congress marks the 75th year of
public service in its first quarters outside the U.S.
Capitol and nears the 34th anniversary of its second
building, workmen are laying the founda-
tions for a gigantic third. At lunchtime,
staff members from the Library's two
crowded buildings stop now and then at
the construction fence to superintend for a
moment the project that promises future
space. If the work of construction perenni-
ally lures the layman, so too does that vast
crater bewilder the eye. Even more, it per-
plexes the mind that tries to imagine what
must yet be done to bring a massive work-
ing structure into being there.
The story of the Library's first building
illuminates the work that lies ahead in the
pit across the street. An almost incredible
complex of tasks made the Main Building a
reality in 1897. The details are heavily
documented in books and manuscripts and 1. Ho
in hundreds of photographs and drawings.
From the architects' first inspirations to
the last reading lamp, the minds and labors
of several hundred creative people contrib-
uted to the building that has fascinated
staff and public alike for three-quarters of
a century.
More than construction, equipment, and
decoration was required to complete the
Library, however. It also had to be
furnished-a task that apparently fell to the
Main Building's last architect, Edward
Pearce Casey, who was appointed in 1892.
Among the drawings for the details of the
brickwork, ironwork, and stonework for _
every corner of the structure are drawings
for all types of office and library furniture,
as well as drawings for lighting fixtures and 2. Sen
exhibition cases. The drawings are some-
times initialed by the draftsman but stamped with the
seal of architect Casey of New York.
The ornated bronze andirons shown on this page
(Fig. 1 and 2) were designed for the fireplaces in the
House and Senate Reading Rooms. Two pairs in the
design at the top were made for the House Reading
Room, where the departmental offices of the Con-
gressional Research Service are now located. One pair


use A


ateA


was made from the lower design for the Senate Read-
ing Room, which now serves as the Congressional
Reading Room. Each andiron is still in its proper
place.
The design for the Librarian's desk (p. 469, Fig. 3)
bears the initials "R.K.S." and the seal of Mr. Casey,
calls for the construction of one such design in light
oak, and is dated May 1, 1897. This hand-
some desk was used by Librarians John
Russell Young (1897-99), Herbert Putnam
(1899-1939), Archibald MacLeish
(1939-44), and Luther Harris Evans
(1945-53) before L. Quincy Mumford
began to use it in 1954.
The long rectangular table now in the
Congressional Reading Room (Fig. 4) is
made of dark oak and once served the Li-
brary's Senate Reading Room. The end
elevation shown here depicts its carved
griffins clearly.
Chairs for the reading tables in lhe
former House and Senate Reading Rooms
were mahogany. Six chairs (Fig. 5) were
made for the House Reading Room, and 10
ndiron chairs (Fig. 6) were made for the Senate's
room. Two of the House chairs and seven
of the Senate chairs are now at the original
reading tables in the Congressional Reading
Room. In addition, 14 armchairs in the
style of Chippendale were made for the
original two rooms from the drawing of
Fig. 7. Four are still used for Congressional
readers, and two are cherished in offices of
another department.
Sixty light oak settes (Fig. 8) were made
for visitors touring the Library and are a
familiar sight in the halls today. Two of
them have migrated to the Navy Yard
Annex to serve visitors in the newly deco-
rated foyer of the Library's Card Division.
The graceful Windsor chair (Fig. 9) was
designed in August 1899 for the former
ndiron Periodical Reading Room, where 66 of
them served readers in pre-microfilm days
(and for some years later). There are Windsor chairs
today in various other reading rooms, but whether
they are the original chairs for periodical readers has
not yet been determined with certainty. Frederick R.
Goff, LC's Honorary Consultant in Early Printed
Books, believes those in the Rare Book Room were
new when the Main Building's East Front extension
(Continued on p. 471)









November 3, 1972


3. The Librarian's Desk


4. Senate Reading Room Table


5. House Reading Room


8. Settee 6. Senate Reading Room


7. House and Senate Reading Rooms


469


9. Periodical Reading Room Chair


10. Chiffonier








LC Information Bulletin


A September 19, 1893 view of the Main Building looking
toward the U.S. Capitol Building. The Washington Monun
which had opened to the public five years earlier, is visible ir
background. The purpose of the bells on top of the part
constructed Library building remains a mystery. They could
served as a system to direct workmen in lifting the granite stone

MAIN BUILDING OPENS
(Continued from p. 467)

arts, manuscripts, and music collections were not
quite ready for use. Since the passage of the copy-
right law of 1870, the graphic arts, map, and music
collections had accumulated so rapidly that their
accessioning and sorting in the quarters of the Capitol
was virtually impossible. The same conditions pre-
vailed with the manuscript collection. For this reason,
the organization and accurate enumeration of the
Library's non-book collections was not completed
until 1899, two years after the move into the spa-
cious new structure. One brand new Library of Con-
gress service was quite ready on November 1,
however: the first reading room for the blind in a
major American library.
On Sunday, October 31, Librarian Young,
accompanied by Assistant Librarian Ainsworth Spof-
ford, Superintendent of the Building Bernard R.
Green, and Reading Room Superintendent David
Hutcheson, inspected the building and the newly-
installed departments, and found everything in order.
Despite a minor mishap in the book carrier system,
the opening of the building on the next day went


smoothly and the public was enthusiastic. The
Evening Star, however, noted that "the first
volume asked for about three minutes after
the door was opened was 'Roger Williams'
Year Book,' of so recent a date that it had not
been received." The Star continued: "The
first book applied for and given out was
'Martha Lamb's History of New York City,'
and the gentleman who had the honor of
receiving the initial volume submitted to the
great American public, or one representative,
bore the name of Max West."
For months prior to the official opening,
newspapers and popular magazines carried
effusive articles about the new Library. Few
were to be disappointed, and the reaction of
some members of the public bordered on the
ecstatic. One Joseph E. Robinson of Washing-
ton informed Young that "not before I stand
before the Judgement Seat of God do I ever
west expect to see this building transcended."
ient, Senator Justin Morrill of Vermont felt that
the the "grandeur and felicitous finish" of the
,aly. Main Reading Room and the Great Hall would
have "be likely to long remain unrivalled in this or
S any other country." Speaker of the House
Joseph G. Cannon called it the best public
building in Washington. Architectural critic Mont-
gomery Schuyler praised the structure as "a national
possession, an example of a great public building
monumentally conceived, faithfully built, and
worthily adorned." On November 25, 1897, over
4,700 visitors toured the edifice during special
Thanksgiving Day hours. When the building was illu-
minated at night for the first time on July 8, 1898,
over 13,000 came to view it.
The new Library of Congress was built specifically
to serve as the American national library and its archi-
tecture and interior design both express and enhance
that purpose. The enthusiastic response to the build-
ing from critics, the public, and the Congress helped
the institution to secure its unique status, for the
Library immediately became a national showplace.
Yet the most significant aspect of the building was
the space it suddenly afforded the Library and the
modern "library machinery" which insured the effec-
tive use of that space. The 326,000 square feet of
floor space provided ample room for the "national
collections" which had flooded the Library in the
Capitol, and for the first time those collections could
be efficiently organized and serviced. Moreover, with
adequate space for growth, an enlarged staff, and
support from a well-pleased Congress, the Library of
Congress was finally able to undertake the services
expected of a truly national library.


470









November 3, 1972


1890's ARTIFACTS
(Continued from p. 468)

was built to house the rare book collections and other
services.
The last drawing (Fig. 10) is the only concrete evi-
dence that LC at one time had such items among its
furnishings. There is evidence of their existence and
use, however, in the faithful memory of David C.
Mearns, LC's Honorary Consultant in the Humanities,
who began his half-century of service to the Library
in 1918. Queried about the drawing, he recalled that
a chiffonier once stood in an anteroom of the Librari-
an's Office. He added:
"When I was first assigned to the Central Desk as a
very junior junior-assistant, one of my jobs was to
leave the Desk at a quarter of 10, taking a large bunch
of keys, and go with a book messenger to see that
everything was locked up. He verified my statement
that all was clear. And that is how I happen to
remember that there was a chiffonier in the ladies'
room outside the Main Reading Room."
Last Friday a postcard postscript arrived:
"I am reminded of yet another chiffonier, a stately
object fashioned in golden oak and topped with a
mirror, which stood for many years on the landing of
the stairway leading from the upper to the lower
office of the Superintendent of the Reading Rooms.
It served as a lodging for stationery, but, I have no
doubt that some ladies diverted it to vainer* [*i.e.
primping] purposes. Faithfully, DCM."
The original mahogany chairs for the Main Reading
Room are not illustrated here, but four examples can
still be seen in the Loan Division. (Except for the
chairs, other furnishings in the Main Reading Room
are of 1897 vintage.) With their tall curved backs and
wooden seats, these four chairs appear uncomfortable
to the eye accustomed to modern padding; indeed, at
first glance they look as though they were built for
men only-and tall men at that. On trial, however,
they prove to be extremely comfortable for either
men or women, tall or short. All the chairs depicted
here, for that matter, are surprisingly more comfort-
able than many contemporary versions.

Editor's Note: The authors of the two special
articles in this Information Bulletin, Helen-Anne
Hilker and John Y. Cole, have contributed longer
articles to the forthcoming issue of the Library of
Congress Quarterly Journal The pieces are Monu-
ment to Civilization: Diary of a Building; the Main
Building of the Library of Congress: A Chronology
1871-1965; Album; and Smithmeyer & Pelz,
Embattled Architects of the Library of Congress.


o4



I r



CONTENTS

Arnold Moss to Read Donne Works ........ 472
Artifacts from the 1890's ... 468-469,471
Change Machines Installed in Reading Rooms 472
LC Publication is Translated . ... 472
Library of Congress Publications ... 475
Library's Main Building Opened to Public .466-467,470
Literary Programs Scheduled for Broadcast 472
News in the Library World . ... 475476
Quartetto Di Roma to Present Concert 471-472
Staff News . . ... 472-475
Appendixes: ECIS Workshop/Conference A-187-A-188
International Association of Music Libraries A-183
Manuscript Society Annual Meeting A-186-A-187
16th Military Librarians' Workshop A-183-A-186


QUARTETTO DI ROMA TO PRESENT
CONCERT NEXT FRIDAY EVENING

On Friday evening, November 10, the Gertrude
Clarke Whittall Foundation in the Library of Con-
gress will sponsor a concert of chamber music by the
Quartetto di Roma. The members of the ensemble are
Arrigo Pelliccia, violin; Guido Mozzato viola;
Massimo Amfitheatrof, violoncello; and Ornella
Santoliquido, piano. The ensemble, making its
seventh American tour, will perform "Quartet in C
Minor, Op. 60" by Johannes Brahms; "Quartet No.
1" by Bohuslav Martinu, and "Quartet in F Minor,
Op. 2" by Felix Mendelssohn.
The concert will begin promptly at 8:30 p.m. in the
Coolidge Auditorium of the Library. Tickets for this
concert will be distributed by Patrick Hayes, 1300 G
St., N.W., beginning at 8:30 a.m., Monday, November
6. A service charge of 25 cents is placed on each ticket,
and only two tickets are distributed to an individual.
Telephone reservations may be made on Monday morn-
ing by calling 393-4463. Mail orders are not accepted.








LC Information Bulletin


The entire program will be broadcast live over Sta-
tion WETA-FM (90.9), and made available to stations
in other cities through the Katie and Walter Louch-
heim Fund in the Library of Congress.


ARNOLD MOSS WILL READ WORKS
OF JOHN DONNE ON NOV. 13

On Monday, November 13, Arnold Moss will pre-
sent a program of readings from the works of John
Donne (1572-1631) to commemorate the 400th anni-
versary of Donne's birth. The program entitled "John
Donne: 'A World in Himself" will be held at 7:30
p.m. in the Coolidge Auditorium under the auspices
of the Gertrude Clarke Whittall Poetry and Literature
Fund. No tickets will be required.
The reading will mark Mr. Moss' nineteenth con-
secutive program at the Library, where he has been
appearing since 1954. Assisting him will be Annette
Hunt, soprano, and Russell Woollen at the piano.
Mr. Moss has most recently appeared on Broadway
in Harold Prince's musical hit, "Follies." Miss Hunt
performed at the Library in 1963 in the cast of
Arnold Moss' "Come, Woo Me!" Mr. Woollen has
been staff pianist with the National Symphony
Orchestra since 1956 and is a member of the music
faculty at Howard University.
Radio Station WGMS-AM-FM will broadcast the
program at a date to be announced.


LITERARY PROGRAMS SCHEDULED
FOR BROADCAST BY WGMS

The first two programs in the Library's fall literary
series have been scheduled for delayed broadcast in
the Washington area by radio station WGMS-AM
(570) and FM (103.5). A poetry reading by Josephine
Jacobsen, the Library's 1972-73 Consultant in
Poetry, which was held at the Library on October 2,
will be broadcast on Saturday, November 4, at 9:30
p.m. A poetry reading by Anne Sexton and X. J.
Kennedy, which was given at the Library on October
16, will be broadcast on Saturday, November 18, at
9:30 p.m.
Both readings were given in the Coolidge Audito-
rium. Mrs. Jacobsen's program was presented under
the auspices of the Library of Congress, and the
Kennedy and Sexton program was given under the
auspices of the Gertrude Clarke Whittall Poetry and
Literature Fund.


Change Machines Installed in Reading Rooms

Dollar bill changing machines were installed on
October 16 in the Main Reading Room of the
Main Building and on the Fifth Floor of the
Annex Building by the Photoduplication Service.
The machines, which give 10 dimes in return for
a dollar, are now being serviced about twice a
week. If the demand for change increases, they
will be serviced more frequently.


LC PUBLICATION IS TRANSLATED

The Library has recently received, through the
kindness of Sr. Antonia F. A. Silva, a copy of
Especificacoes para Microfilmagem de Livros e
Jornais, published in 1972 by the Associacao
Brasileira do Microfilme, Av. Prestes Maia, 241-14-cj.
1414, 01031 Sao Paulo-SP-Brazil. This is a Portuguese
translation, with appropriate adaptations in text and
illustrations, of Specifications for Library of Congress
Microfilming, prepared by the Photoduplication
Service and published in 1964.


STAFF NEWS

RETIREMENTS
Mrs. Virginia Brooke Senior Laboratory Technician
with the Photoduplication Service, retired from the
Library on September 30, after more than 22 years as
a staff member of the Photoduplication Service. A
native of Luray, Va., Mrs. Brooke began her Govern-
ment service at the Library in March 1950 as Photo-
grapher (General), bringing with her photographic
experience from her home town and more than 20
years of experience in commercial photography. In
1961, she was promoted to Senior Laboratory Tech-
nician.
Mrs. Brooke's successful career at the Library was
evidenced by unusually favorable commendations at
the time of her performance ratings which described
her work as well above standards in both quality and
quantity. An Outstanding Performance Rating and a
Quality Increase, both in 1968, are tangible testi-
mony of her success.
Mrs. Brooke plans to continue residence in College
Park, Md.
Mrs. Virginia Cunningham, Head of the Music Sec-
tion in the Descriptive Cataloging Division, retired on


472








November 3, 1972


October 13 after more than 30 years of Federal
service, all with the Library.
A native of Bridgeport, Ill., Mrs. Cunningham
attended high school in Wichita, Kans. She also
attended Stephens College in Columbia, Mo., and the
University of Wisconsin in Madison where she re-
ceived a B.A. degree and a certificate in Library
Science in 1932. She did graduate work in musicolo-
gy at Columbia University until 1941 and also served
as First Assistant of Cataloging and Reference in the
University's Music Library.
She came to the Library in 1942 to work in the
Music Division, and transferred to the Descriptive
Cataloging Division a year later. In 1946 she was
selected to head the newly organized Music Section in
the Cataloging Division of the Copyright Office, and
in 1957 she returned to the Descriptive Cataloging
Division to head its Music Section.
During her years at the Library, Mrs. Cunningham
was active in developing rules for cataloging music
and phonorecords. She represented the Library at
meetings of the Music Library Association and the
American Library Association and as the American
representative on the Cataloguing Commission of the
International Association of Music Libraries. She
compiled the Association's Rules for Full Cataloguing
(Vol. 3 of the International Cataloguing Code for
Music), which was published in December 1971.
Among other contributions to the field of music
librarianship, Mrs. Cunningham has served both as
President of the Music Library Association, 1956-58,
and as Chairman of its Cataloging and Classification
Committee.
A reception was given in the Whittall Pavilion by
the Music Section of the Descriptive Cataloging Divi-
sion in honor of her retirement and was attended by
her many friends throughout the Library and the
music library profession.

AWARD
Walter B. Moyer, Supervisor of the Camera, Pro-
cessing, and Printing Unit in the Photoduplication
Service Laboratory, was presented a 30-year Federal
Service Award pin on October 17 by F. E. Croxton,
Director of the Administrative Department. Mr.
Moyer came to the Library in April 1962 as Senior
Photographer in the Photoduplication Laboratory.
Mr. Moyer was promoted to Supervisor of the Photo-
graphic Laboratory in April 1964, and was appointed
to his present position in August 1970.
Before coming to the Library, Mr. Moyer worked
for 22 years in all phases of photography, serving


from 1940 to 1960 with the U.S. Navy, and subse-
quently in private industry.

STAFF ACTIVITIES
Constance Carter, Head of the Reference Section in
the Science and Technology Division, and Irene
Stegun, National Bureau of Standards, were the sec-
tion editors and compilers of a Mathematics Bibliog-
raphy which constitutes Section One of the American
Institute Physics Handbook, 3rd Edition. The section,
which had not been included in previous Handbook
editions, is a selected bibliography of math tables use-
ful to physicists.
Mrs. Georgette M. Dorn, Area Specialist in the
Latin American, Portuguese, and Spanish Division,
translated the Spanish documents in Report on the
Indian Tribes of Texas in 1828, by Jos6 Francisco
Ruiz (John C. Ewers, Ed. New Haven, Conn., Yale
University Library, 1972).
This work is of historical and ethnological interest
to students of the American West, concentrating on
the Comanche, Apache, and Arapaho Indians who
lived on the Texas frontier in 1828. The Spanish
documents are preserved in the Western Americana
Collection of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript
Library at Yale University, and they are probably the
only descriptions of those Indian tribes written by a
man who may have known them better than any
other white man of his generation. Jos6 Francisco
Ruiz, a native Texan, was a rancher, schoolteacher,
army officer, and statesman who risked his life and
fortune for the cause of Texas independence.
John F. Kasprzak, Technical Information Specialist
in the Arms Control and Disarmament Section of the
General Reference and Bibliography Division, is the
author of "Hope in a New Balance of Terror" and
"Scenario for the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks,"
published respectively in the February 26 and August
5 issues of the Far Eastern Economic Review.
Another article by Mr. Kasprzak, "An Assessment of
the Soviet Naval Challenge," will appear in the
January 1973 edition of the Revue Militaire Generale.
The articles deal with several aspects of arms control
and disarmament as well as related areas in the field
of international relations.
John G. Lorenz, Deputy Librarian of Congress, is
the author of the article, "Libraries and the Right to
Read," which appeared in the Winter-Spring 1972
issue of North Carolina Libraries. Mr. Lorenz dis-
cusses the role of libraries in contributing not only to
the enrichment of the lives of the already reading
public, but to the education needs of all citizens.


473









LC Information Bulletin


Among the groups which librarians must try to reach
through proper selection of books, Mr. Lorenz notes,
are school children with reading deficiencies, adults
with limited reading ability, school dropouts, and
blind and physically handicapped readers.

PERSONNEL CHANGES

Two CRS Assistant Chiefs Appointed
Two men have been appointed Assistant Chiefs in
the Congressional Research Service. They are William
H. Robinson, new Assistant Chief of the Education
and Public Welfare Division and Specialist in Social
Legislation; and Frederick John Rosenthal, new
Assistant Chief of the Library Services Division.
Mr. Robinson brings to his new position a distin-
guished record of service with the Office of Manage-
ment and Budget, where he served as a Fiscal
Economist from 1963 to 1970, dealing with various
aspects of state and local public finance, and Federal
aid to state and local governments, and as an Assis-
tant Division Chief since 1970 in the areas of income
maintenance, and analysis of legislative, budgetary,
and program policy issues. He was a Federal Execu-
tive Fellow at the Brookings Institution from 1968 to
1969.
Mr. Robinson attended Citrus Junior College,
Pomona College, and Brigham Young University,
where he received his B.S. degree in political science
in 1961. He also received a master's degree in public
administration from Harvard University in 1963.
He has published articles in the field of revenue
sharing, and has presented papers at several national
meetings, including the 1969 Annual Conference of
the American Society for Public Administration.
Mr. Rosenthal has been on the staff of the Library
Services Division of CRS since 1957, when he com-
pleted the Special Recruit Program. Beginning as a
Bibliographer, he became Head of the Subject
Specialization Section in 1962. In 1968, he was
named Specialist in Information Organization and
Control, with the special assignment of developing
the CRS Legislative Indexing Vocabulary. He held
this position until his recent appointment as Assistant
Chief.
Mr. Rosenthal received a master's degree in political
science in 1955 and a master's degree in library
science in 1956 from Columbia University. As an
undergraduate, he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.

Appointments: Catherine A. Armstrong, copyright
examiner, GS-9, Cop Exam, 4078; Larry C. Bradbury, labora-


tory technician, GT-4, Photodup, 4204; Linda D. Carter, card
drawing clerk, GS-3, Card, 4159; Linda Rae Gainer, person-
nel management specialist, GS-12, Place and Class, 4241;
Lucille Owens Miser, clerk-typist, GS-3, Cop Serv, 7-200;
James Glenwood Moore, research assistant, GS-9, CRS SPR,
4116; Pamela Jean Parks, editorial assistant, GS-4, CRS F,
4247; Brian L. Rutherford, library aid, GS-3, Loan, 10-600;
Myroslav Hnatyshyn, research analyst, GS-11, FRD, 4052;
Lucy Dyer Stover, reference clerk, GS-3, CRS E, 4269.
Temporary Appointments: Pamela Jean Crupi, library aid,
GS-1, Ord, NP; John W. Jimison, analyst in environmental
policy, GS-7, CRS EP, 4003.
Promotions: William G. Bell, to assistant head, processing
and reference section, GS-11, Ser Rec, 4231; Diana Mae
McLane, reference librarian, GS-7, CRS F, 4259; Ross W.
Stuckey, to assistant head, GS-12, Cop Cat, 4245; James B.
Tyler, to quality control analyst, GS-11, MARC Ed, 4235.
Transfer: Gwendolyn S. Nathan, Mgmt, to editorial assis-
tant, GS-5, CRS GGR, NP.
Resignations: Thelma R. Bowden, Ser Rec; Doris A.
Brown, Cat Publ; Willie H. Canady, Card; Sandra J. Castle,
FRD; Hessie L. Chandler, Desc Cat; Virginia G. Eddy, CRS
Ed; Elise T. Gant, Cop Cat; Jack J. Greenberg, MARC Dev;
Terry L. Katt, Cop Cat; Jewel H. Ogonji, CRS L; Robert W.
Piatt, Ord; Paula J. Trimble, Cat Publ.

ANNOUNCEMENTS
Library staff members are invited to attend a refer-
ence book roundup and the annual reception for new
members of the D.C. Library Association, on Wednes-
day, November 8, from 4 to 9 p.m. in the Whittall
Pavilion. The roundup is being sponsored by the
District of Columbia Library Association, the Library
of Congress, and the Library of Congress Professional
Association. The purpose is to select and display
some of the most important reference books in
various subject areas of the past 10 years. The books
will be arranged by subject, and visitors will have an
opportunity to examine them and discuss their merits
with the librarians who selected them.
Some 45 librarians from LC and Federal, special,
college, and public libraries in the D.C. area are par-
ticipating in the selection of books in their special
subject areas. Among the subjects to be covered are
children's books, management and personnel, bibliog-
raphy, environment, black studies, European litera-
ture and history, technology and standards,
biography, American history, law, and fine arts.
The annual DCLA reception for new members will
be held at the same time in the Whittall Pavilion. A
light buffet costing $4 will be served and reservations
must be made by November 3. Send a check with


474









November 3, 1972


name, address, and telephone number to Nancy
Gwinn, CRS C, Library of Congress, Washington,
D.C. 20540, or call her on 426-5976. New DCLA
members will be admitted free.


LIBRARY OF CONGRESS PUBLICATIONS

Accessions List: Eastern Africa, Vol. 5, No. 5.
September 1972. (pp. 296-343.) Continuing subscrip-
tions free to libraries upon request to the Field
Director, Library of Congress Office, P.O. Box
30598, Nairobi, Kenya.
Accessions List: Israel Vol. 9 No. 9 September
1972. (pp. 353-370.) Continuing subscriptions free to
libraries upon request to the Field Director, Library
of Congress Office, American Embassy, Tel-Aviv,
Israel.

New Microfilm Publications
The Library's Photoduplication Service has made
available on 35mm microfilm the Statistics of the
Presidential and Congressional Elections for the years
S 1920 through 1970 (shelf no. 10249) and the Ameri-
can Iron and Steel Association Bulletin, Vols. 1-46,
for the period September 1866 to December 1912
(shelf no. 29950).
The Statistics, compiled biannually from official
sources under the direction of the Clerk of the House
of Representatives, gives the votes for the candidate
of each party in each State and each Congressional
and Presidential election since 1920. Positive micro-
film copies are available from the Photoduplication
Service, Department C-24, Library of Congress, Wash-
ington, D.C. 20540, for $15 including spools, boxes,
and mailing cost.
The Bulletin was a weekly from September 1866 to
February 1895, was published three times a month
from March 1895 to December 1897, a semi-monthly
(irregular) from January 1898 to December 1907,
and a monthly (irregular) from January 1908 to
December 1912. The work of the Association was
taken over by the American Iron and Steel Institute
in January 1913. The cost of the Bulletin on 13 reels
is $185 including spools, boxes, and mailing, from the
Photoduplication Service, Department C-166.


NEWS IN THE LIBRARY WORLD

S. R. Ranganathan Dies in India
S. R. Ranganathan, the eminent Indian librarian,


died on September 27 at his home in Bangalore at the
age of 80. Trained in mathematics in India and in
librarianship in London, Dr. Ranganathan served as
university librarian and professor of library science in
Madras, Benares, and Delhi for more than 30 years
before establishing the Documentation Research and
Training Center in Bangalore in 1962. A prolific
writer on all phases of librarianship, he is probably
best known for his Five Laws of Library Science con-
cept and for the book Colon Classification. The
volume, in which Dr. Ranganathan introduced the
principle of facet analysis to library classification, has
had a worldwide influence on classification theory
and practice.
Dr. Ranganathan was active in international organi-
zations and was founder and first chairman of the
committee on classification theory and research of
the International Federation for Documentation. He
traveled widely to national and international confer-
ences on librarianship and documentation. On one of
his visits to the United States he spoke to an audience
of Washington, D.C., librarians in the Library of Con-
gress on the library movement in India, in which he
was a forceful figure for national planning.
At the annual conference of the American Library
Association in 1970 Dr. Ranganathan received in
absentia the Margaret Mann Citation in Cataloging
and Classification, "for his Colon Classification...
and for a lifetime of signal devotion to the advance-
ment of library science."

Canadian Union Catalogue Task Group Formed
A task group has been appointed to study the
scope, composition, and services of the Canadian
Union Catalogue and to investigate the place of the
Canadian Union Catalogue in cooperative library
development. The group will examine methods for
achieving a Canadian Union Catalogue in machine-
readable form and establish priorities in the imple-
mentation of a Canadian bibliographic data bank.
Alternative methods of providing some of the Cata-
logue services will also be explored.
Members of the task group are D. C. Appelt, Uni-
versity of Saskatchewan; E. Stanley Beacock, Mid-
western Regional Library System; Mrs. Margaret
Beckman, University of Guelph; R. H. Blackburn,
University of Toronto; Jean-R6mi Brault, Bib-
liotheque Nationale du Qu6bec; Mme. Madeleine
Charbonneau-Leroux, Bibliothbque de la Ville de
Montr6al; Hope Clement, National Library; George
Ember, National Research Council; Guy Forget, Uni-
versit6 du Qu6bec a Chicoutimi; Ken Galzier, Univer-


475








LC Information Bulletin


sity of Calgary; A. Hall, Universit6 de Moncton;
Robert Lee, University of Western Ontario; Alberta
Letts, Nova Scotia Provincial Library; R. M. Mc-
Mullen, Department of Communications; John
Russell, St. James-Assiniboia Public Library; Basil
Stuart-Stubbs, University of British Columbia; Ber-
nard Vinet, BibliothBque de lUniversit6 Laval; Ian
Wees, National Library; and Frederick T. White, Van-
couver Island Regional Library. Mr. Stuart-Stubbs
will chair the task group.
Support staff from the National Library include
Mrs. Lois Burrell, Union Catalogue of Books Division,
and Huguette Lussier, Reference and Circulation
Division.

Office of Education Reorganizes Library Bureau
HEW's Office of Education has reorganized its
Bureau of Libraries and Educational Technology
(BLET) into the Bureau of Libraries and Learning
Resources (BLLR). BLLR will administer all pro-
grams of financial assistance for library development,
service, research, and training, as well as supportive
instructional resources programs. Burton E. Lamkin,
who formerly headed BLET, will serve as Associate
Commissioner of BLLR.
The new Bureau is responsible for the public and
academic library programs formerly administered by
BLET, plus three programs previously administered
by other Office of Education bureaus-the School
Library Resources Program, the Equipment and
Minor Remodeling Program, and the Undergraduate
Instructional Equipment Program.
In another administrative change, the Division of
Educational Technology, formerly a component of
the Bureau of Libraries and Educational Technology,
has been transferred to the Deputy Commissioner for
Development where it will be called the National
Center for Educational Technology.
The following programs, including fiscal year 1972
funding, will be directed by BLLR: Library Services
and Construction Act, to support public library
services, construction, and interlibrary cooperation


(appropriation $58.7 million); College Library
Resources, Title II-A, Higher Education Act, to
strengthen and increase the library resources of insti-
tutions of higher education (appropriation $11
million); Training for Library Service, Title II-B,
Higher Education Act, to increase training opportuni-
ties for professionals and paraprofessionals in the
library field (appropriation $2 million); Library and
Information Science Demonstration, Title II-B,
Higher Education Act, to improve library services
through demonstration (appropriation $2.75 million);
School Library Resources, Title II, Elementary and
Secondary Education Act, to support acquisition of
school library resources, textbooks, and other instruc-
tional materials (appropriation $90 million); Equip-
ment and Minor Remodeling Program, Title III,
National Defense Education Act, to support acquisi-
tion of equipment and materials for improving
instruction in critical subjects in elementary and sec-
ondary schools (appropriation $50 million); and
Undergraduate Instructional Equipment Program,
Title VI-A, Higher Education Act, to improve under-
graduate instruction in institutions of higher educa-
tion by supporting acquisition of instructional
equipment and resources, including closed circuit
television (appropriation $12.5 million).


R. W. Frase Leaves Publishers Association
Robert W. Frase has resigned as Vice President of
the Association of American Publishers. With the
Association and its predecessor organizations since
1950, Mr. Frase began as an economist with the
American Book Publishers Council, later was named
Associate Managing Director with the Council in
charge of the Washington, D.C., office, and in 1960
was appointed Director of the Washington, D.C.,
office for both the Council and the American Educa-
tional Publishers Institute. In 1970, when these two
organizations became the Association of American
Publishers, he was named Vice President in charge of
the Washington, D.C., office.


476








APPENDIXES


Vol. 31, No. 44


November 3, 1972


REPORT ON THE INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF MUSIC LIBRARIES MEETING
Bologna, Italy, September 10-15, 1972


The International Association of Music Libraries
met at Bologna, Italy, on September 10-15. Associa-
tion President John H. Davies of the BBC Music
Library in London had died suddenly on August 31
and Vladimir F&dorov, Honorary President, presided
at the general meetings. The Council decided that
Thor Wood, President, U.S. Branch would serve as
President for the coming year, and Mercedes Reis
Pequeno, Music Librarian, National Library, Rio de
Janeiro, would serve for the following year. At the
next triennial congress a new president will be
elected.
The Sub-commission on the Classification of Music
gave careful consideration to the outline of the classi-
fication of literature on music prepared by John
Overbeck of the Music Section, Descriptive Catalog-
ing Division, Library of Congress. A revised version of
the outline is to be completed for next year's meet-
ing, as are the outline for the classification of music
and the auxiliary tables.
The classification will be published by C. F. Peters
as Volumes 6 and 7 of the Code International de
Catalogage de la Musique. Volume 6 will contain the
basic theoretical paper written by Ivan Pethes of
Budapest, and Volume 7 will contain the classifica-
tion and the auxiliary tables. In addition to these
volumes, the Code International now contains Vol-
ume 1, Der Autorenkatalog der Musikdrucke, by
Franz Grasberger; Volume 2, Code Restreint, by
Yvette F6doroff; Volume 3, Rules for Full Catalog-
ing, by Virginia Cunningham; Volume 4, Rules for


Cataloging Manuscripts, by Marie-Louise G6llner (at
the printer); and Volume 5, Code de Catalogage des
Enregistrements Sonores, by Simone Wallon (in prep-
aration). Each volume is published in English, French,
and German. The Rules for Full Cataloging have been
translated into Russian, and the glossary is expected
to be published in Italian, Swedish, and Russian as a
supplement to Volume 3.
The Cataloging Commission worked out recom-
mendations for adapting the international standard
bibliographical description for books to music and
phonorecords. The recommendations will be for-
warded to the International Federation of Library
Associations in the hope that they will be approved
by that group. The recommendations consist primari-
ly of additions to the description for books that will
satisfy the requirements of cataloging music and
phonorecords.
The Thesaurus Sub-commission of the Repertoire
International de Litterature Musicale, under the chair-
manship of Anders L6nn, Svenskt Musikhistoriskt
Arkiv, discussed what terms in languages other than
English should be included in the thesaurus for the
RILM abstracts. It was decided to include terms that
are not found in a general bi-lingual dictionary. In addi-
tion, national committees and area editors will be asked
for lists of terms which they consider essential for
inclusion. Terms in German, French, and Russian will
be added to the thesaurus first because they represent
the three great language groups.
[Virginia Cunningham]


REPORT ON THE 16th MILITARY LIBRARIANS' WORKSHOP
Redstone Arsenal, Ala., October 2-4, 1972


The 16th Military Librarians' Workshop was held
on October 2-4, at Redstone Arsenal, Ala. The work-
shop dealt with programs related to technology trans-
fer. Mrs. Cleo S. Cason and Mrs. Jane F. Bentley of
the Redstone Scientific Information Center (RSIC)
U.S. Army Missile Command, served as workshop
chairmen.
In his welcoming remarks Brig. Gen. Louis Rach-
meler, Deputy Commanding General of the U.S.
Army Missile Command, set the tone for the three-


day meeting. He stressed the need "to share knowl-
edge, to develop communication lines, and for all
military services to work together in building useful
products from technology spin off."
The keynote address, "Technology Transfer," was
given by Julian S. Kobler, Director of RSIC. Dr.
Kobler defined technology transfer as "the means of
channeling advanced technology in promising direc-
tions for significant purposes other than the immedi-
ate use for which it was developed." According to Dr.










LC Information Bulletin


Kobler, technology transfer participants include
generators and users. The four stages in the tech-
nology transfer process are search, adaptation,
implementation, and maintenance. In the search
phase, generators and users identify unrecognized
transfer opportunities. Adaptation is the "go-no go"
phase. The users formulate projects by evaluating
potential effectiveness, socio-economic implications,
and the desirability of alternatives. The generators, at
the same time, evaluate environment, cost, and feasi-
bility. In the implementation phase, generators study
hardware requirements, and overcome existing preju-
dices and reluctance to change. At the same time,
users build an organization. Prior to implementation
and maintenance, possible effects on society are
evaluated.
Among the sources of technology transfers are
Army programs, Department of Defense projects,
other Federal agencies, industry, not-for-profit insti-
tutions, universities, and foreign agencies. In explain-
ing the latter, Dr. Kobler said the Missile Command
currently is evaluating a French, an English, and a
combination French/German air defense system.
Traditional sources of technology transfer were
identified as intersectional movement, organizational
diversification, conventional library systems, techni-
cal journals, and university teaching. Complementary
transfer sources include selective dissemination
projects, information analysis centers, technology
utilization centers, international coordination pro-
grams, and conferences and/or symposia.
The major problem in technology transfer, as noted
by Dr. Kobler, is the "communications gulf between
generations of advanced technology and large bodies
of potential users." Other barriers to effective utiliza-
tion of technology are traditionalism, organizational
inertia, vested interests, lack of knowledge, lack of
communication, and an unwillingness to be relevant.
Dr. Kobler said that such barriers could be bridged by
properly organizing information, encouraging use,
and developing personal contacts.
One example of a useful transfer source, Dr. Kobler
said, is the Army Missile Command Lead Laboratory
Program, a group of 12 laboratories (two more are
under development) responsible for the field manage-
ment of specific technologies, the formulation of
projects, and the distribution of funds. Regular
reporting is required. The program involves an ade-
quate technology base, matrix management, monitor-
ing of independent research and development, and
review of research and technology resumes.
The Terminal Homing Data Bank (THDB) was cited


as a good example of a reviewing mechanism. THDB
was authorized in January 1971 for the purpose of
establishing and maintaining a central data bank
responsive to the terminal homing weapons develop-
ment objectives of the Army Materiel Command. An
operational element of RSIC, it acquires, analyzes,
stores, retrieves, and disseminates bibliographic infor-
mation on target signature measurements and mea-
surements related to terminal homing data. It also
coordinates the identification of measurement data
gaps and recommends programs to provide needed
measurements information. THDB was established to
serve the needs of the Army's technical community
and contractors working under Army contracts, but
its services are also available to other Department of
Defense activities. Contractors must have their "need-
to-know" certified by their sponsors.
On a monthly basis, the THDB disseminates to
selected users a bibliographic summary of recently
analyzed data. The information contained in the
summary is based on an established user interest pro-
file.
Qualified users may request information searches
on a particular topic or area in terminal homing tech-
nology. The search can be conducted when any of the
following parameters are provided: keywords, report
number, source, investigator, funding agency, or con-
tract number. These searches are accomplished by
means of the Missile Command computerized data
base for terminal homing.
Dr. Kobler provided examples of technology trans-
fers within the US. Army. He described the "Laser
Scalpel" as a cooperative project developed with the
National Cancer Institute and resulting in a scalpel for
human surgery. "Smart Bombs." or "Laser Guided
Bombs" were developed with the U.S. Air Force. The
technology existed in AMC but "no targets were
identified." The Air Force had targets, Kobler said,
and thus the effort was transferred there.
Dr. Kobler concluded by saying, "Department of
Defense laboratories and their information centers
must be in the forefront in the effort to transfer tech-
nology and knowledge of technology to meet coming
needs."
Following lunch, workshop participants toured the
RSIC. They were told that the Center "is a unique
government organization in that its mission and sup-
port are shared by two major agencies-the National
Aeronautics and Space Administration through the
Marshall Space Flight Center, and the Department of
Defense through the Army Missile Command."
RSIC serves the Marshall Center and Missile Com-


A-184









November 3, 1972


mand employees as well as their local contractors and
other local military installations such as the Safeguard
Systems Command, Corps of Engineers (Huntsville
Division), and Army Missile and Munitions Center
and School. Going beyond traditional library func-
tions, the RSIC provides translations, in-depth litera-
ture searching, state-of-the-art surveys, and develop-
ment of advanced information handling techniques.
The Center's collection currently totals about
185,000 books and journals, 3,000 serial titles (4,600
subscriptions), and more than 1,200,000 reports on
research and development in missile and aerospace
technology. The Center serves 7,500 registered
patrons with a staff of 18 professional librarians, 10
library technicians, and 13 part-time student workers.
The visiting librarians were told that one of the
RSIC computer manipulate data bases maintains com-
puterized information on all industrial Independent
Research and Development (IR&D), which covers
programs or tasks funded by the government but not
sponsored by a contract or other formally detailed
arrangement. Since the information is proprietary,
use of the IR&D data bank is restricted to Govern-
ment employees and appropriate contractors.
It was stressed that the IR&D program helps con-
tractors remain competitive while their facilities and
manpower are engaged in fulfilling Government con-
tracts. Theoretically, the program enables contractors
to attract other customers in case Government needs
change and to maintain a viable research and develop-
ment capability. By extending the state-of-the-art,
IR&D provides a broad technical base from which
new weapon systems may evolve. Those interested
were referred to a report by Virginia Ponds Woodruff
entitled Independent Research and Development
Utilization (Report No. RB-TN-71-2, February
1972). The 44-page guide is available on request from
Directorate for Research, Development, Engineering
and Missile Systems Laboratory, U.S. Army Missile
Command, Redstone Arsenal, Ala. 35809.
At workshop session on Tuesday, seven topics were
discussed by groups of approximately 30 librarians.
The topics and group leaders were "Technology
Transfer," Stanley Kalkus, Naval Underwater Systems
Center, Newport, R.I.; "Procurement," Mariana
Thurker, TAGO, Department of the Army; "Position
Descriptions," Ingjerd 0. Omdahl, Headquarters First
U.S. Army; "Integrated On-Line Networks," Joseph
M. Powers, Defense Documentation Center; "Work
Measurement and Statistics," Lt. Col. Claude Johns,
US. Air Force Academy; "Utilization of Financial
and Human Resources," Gerald M. Coble, Naval


Training Support Command; and "Organization of
Document Collections," Sara Dearman, Redstone
Scientific Information Center.
Mr. Coble and his group worked at developing
guidelines for resources management during a period
of tight financial control.
In his introduction, Mr. Coble said, "Ideally, we
would all have contingency plans in the cupboard to
cover all eventualities. Practically, we seldom do, or
they are partial. Our problems in such planning are
complicated by many factors. Not the least of these,
and a factor associated with the overall theme of
[this] workshop is the network/system relationships
of many libraries. In considering priorities, these rela-
tionships pose obvious dilemmas of a practical or
ethical nature. As an example, the weaker one's own
library situation grows, the more important the
network becomes; but reliance on the network tends
further to weaken the position of the library. Simi-
larly, when all libraries, DOD, Federal, industrial,
academic, public, etc., are under stress, the total
resources of any network decline at precisely the time
the network becomes most essential. While I have
stated these in non-arguable terms, they are certainly
not propositions of absolute validity. What they can
do is complicate the planning of the individual
librarian. Guidelines are needed."
Mr. Coble continued, "Trading-off between a li-
brary and a network/system is a class AAA trade-off.
Most trade-offs available to a library are of a lower
order, being strictly internal to the library (Class A)
or occurring between the library and its parent organi-
zation (Class AA). Few libraries have been disestab-
lished except where the parent organization itself was
disestablished. Adjustments in utilization of resources
have, therefore, been mandatory in most DOD li-
braries and/or will be so in the future.
"Adjustments, or trade-offs, may be bureaucratic
or professional in nature-through the dividing line is
frequently obscure. Bureaucratic adjustments tend to
be defensive. The impetus behind them is protection
of grade, heirarchial status, organizational perquisites,
etc. Professional adjustments tend to be functional.
They derive from considerations of library mission,
procedures, standards, responsibilities, etc. The result
may be the same; the ambience will be different. We
need to be able to classify our reactions in terms of
their impelling force."
The session was then divided into three work
groups to discuss priorities, policies and ethics in a
period of declining financial support; internal trade-
offs-maximum utilization of resources in hand; and


A-185








LC Information Bulletin


external trade-offs-maximum utilization of agency
or network/system resources. The groups analyzed
the statements and developed guidelines.
The workshop session proceedings are expected to
be issued within six months by Mrs. Cason, and will
be available through Defense Documentation Centers.
The document will contain reports of all session
decisions and recommendations.
On Wednesday morning separate meetings of Army,
Navy, and Air Force librarians were held, followed by
a business session chaired by Virginia E. Eckel, Air
Force Institute of Technology. Frank Kurt Cylke,
Executive Secretary of the Federal Library Commit-
tee, gave a briefing on the recent changes in the Gen-
eral Services Administration furniture schedule, and


discussed the forthcoming General Accounting Office
report on Federal library activities. He also described
the Federal Librarians Round Table (FLIRT) and the
Federal Library Service Center efforts.
It was noted that the Federal Librarians Associa-
tion, a recently incorporated, not-for-profit group, is
designed to serve the personal and professional inter-
ests of Federal librarians. Cathryn C. Lyon, Naval
Weapons Laboratory, Dahlgren, Va., along with John
Sherrod, Director of the National Agricultural Li-
brary, and Mr. Cylke were the incorporators.
Margrett Zenich, Office, Chief of Engineers, an-
nounced that the 17th Military Librarians Workshop
will be held in the fall of 1973 in Washington, D.C.
A tour of the Alabama Space and Rocket Center
followed. [Frank Kurt Cylke]


REPORT ON THE 25th ANNUAL MEETING OF THE MANUSCRIPT SOCIETY
New York City, N.Y., October 5-7, 1972


Some 100 members attended the Manuscript
Society's 25th Annual Meeting in New York City on
October 5-7. Library of Congress staff members
attending were Roy P. Basler, Chief of the Manuscript
Division, William Matheson, Chief of the Rare Book
Division, Mrs. Shirley B. Lebo, Principal Evaluations
Officer, Order Division, and Paul G. Sifton, Manu-
script Historian, Manuscript Division.
At the first session held on October 5 in the New-
York Historical Society auditorium, the Society's
Director, James Heslin, gave a rapid but thorough talk
on the N-YHS collections and programs. This was
followed by a spirited talk, "Negro History: A Ne-
glected Field," given by M. A. Harris, President of
Negro History Associates. Mr. Harris said that the pre-
dominance of oral history and the relative lack of
historical documentation to date have created a situa-
tion wherein no definitive history of the Negro has
yet been published.
The second session, held amid the incomparable
riches of the Pierpont Morgan Library, included talks
by three specialists. William Voelke, Acting Curator
of the Morgan Library, gave a fascinating slide-
illustrated lecture on the various categories of collec-
tions in the Library. Karl Kup, former Librarian of
the Spencer Collection, New York Public Library,
presented a learned and graceful talk entitled "Manu-
scripts on Mountaintops." Mr. Kup spoke of the
bibliographical treasures, some of which are now in
the Morgan, formerly found in the religious retreats
on Mt. Fuji, Monte Cassino, and Mt. Sinai and the


adjacent Mt. St. Catherine. The last speaker, Carolyn
Horton, Consulting Restorer, gave a slide-illustrated
lecture on the salvage of rare books and papers from
the floods in Florence, Italy, and at the Corning Glass
Center in New York State, and after the recent
unpublicized fire at the Temple University Law Li-
brary in Philadelphia. The speaker has become partic-
ularly well-known for her emphasis on the quick-
freezing technique to preserve damaged books.
On October 6, the Society members visited the
Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial Library and Museum
in Hyde Park, following a buffet luncheon at the
Beekman Arms Hotel, Rhinebeck. At Hyde Park,
Director J. C. James gave a brief talk on the develop-
ment of the Roosevelt Library and its research facili-
ties. The remaining time was spent visiting the Li-
brary and Museum, and the Roosevelt mansion-house.
The two new Eleanor Roosevelt wings proved to be
of particular interest to the visitors.
The October 7 afternoon session was held in the
auditorium of the Grolier Club. Ben Grauer, NBC
news commentator and a noted collector, gave a talk
on "Varied Experiences of a Collector." The empha-
sis of the discussion was the rescue and restoration of
Bernal Diaz del Castillo's Historia Verdadera de la
Conquista de la Nueva Espaia y Guatemala, which
has lain neglected inside a wooden box in an old
archive in Guatemala City. With the help of Guate-
malan and American authorities and former Librari-
ans of Congress Luther H. Evans and Archibald
MacLeish, the Bernal Diaz manuscript was ultimately


A-186









November 3, 1972


brought to the Library of Congress for preservation
and restoration. [The original has been returned to
Guatemala; a photostatic copy is in the Library of
Congress Manuscript Division.] Mr. Grauer's talk was
followed by an annual business meeting at which
Kenneth Rendell, dealer, was elected President for
the 1972-73 year.
A lively panel discussion on "Changes in Collecting
Over 25 Years" followed. Participants included out-
going President and collector Herbert J. Klingelhofer,


dealers Kenneth Rendell and Stuart Schimmel, and
Mr. Basler. Among the subjects discussed were the
rise in manuscript prices, the effects of the 1969 tax
reform law, the gravitation of collections to public
institutions, and changes in collecting taste.
An annual banquet and autograph auction at the
Hotel Dorset concluded the annual meeting. Professor
Richard Morris of Columbia University gave a speech
on "The John Jay Papers." Next year's meeting will
be held during the latter part of September in
Minneapolis. [Paul G. Sifton]


REPORT ON THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITY INFORMATION SERVICE (ECIS)
WORKSHOP/CONFERENCE
Washington, D.C., September 7-8, 1972


The European Community Information Service
(ECIS) sponsored a two-day Workshop/Conference
on Documentation of the European Communities on
September 7-8 in Washington, D.C. Participants were
invited from five European documentation centers
and from 34 libraries which are depositories for the
publications of the Communities in the United States
and Canada.
The Executives of the three European
Communities-the European Coal and Steel Com-
munity, the European Atomic Energy Community
(Euratom), and the European Economic Community
(Common Market)-merged in 1967 becoming the
Commission of the European communities; however,
there is as yet no treaty merging the three overall
Communities into a "European Community."
The workshop, for which no published record will
be made, was designed to permit an exchange of
information between personnel of the three European
Communities and librarians and to assist the latter in
their efforts to maintain and use their collections.
Mrs. Ella Krucoff, Chief of Reference and Docu-
mentation for ECIS, opened the conference Thursday
morning by introducing Leonard Tennyson, Director
of ECIS, who welcomed the registrants with a brief
discussion of the institutional framework of the Com-
munities. The technical portion of the session began
with a description of the publications of the
European Parliament, an institution of the Communi-
ties, by Mrs. Barbara Sloan of ECIS. Nella Colaprete
of the Commission of the Communities, Brussels,
discussed the role of the Office of Official Publica-
tions. A new Catalogue des Publications, 1952-1971
(306 p.), prepared under Miss Colaprete's direction
and distributed to the participants, covers all of the
Communities' institutions. This publication was


referred to frequently during the sessions as was its
127-page supplement entitled List of Publications of
the European Communities in English.
Mrs. Madeleine Ledivelec of the Commission's
scientific and technical library (the library of
Euratom before the merger of the three Executives)
described the Communities' technical publications.
Materials published since the 1967 merger which
cover a broader subject field than the nuclear sciences
will be listed in the projected second volume of the
Catalogue.
Other institutions and their documents discussed at
the session were the Council of Ministers, the Court
of Justice, the Economic and Social Committee, and
the European Investment Bank.
Following a dinner on September 7 at the Dupont
Plaza Hotel, the guests heard Pierre Malv6, an official
of the Communities, speak on political and economic
questions facing the Communities as a result of rth
addition of three new member nations scheduled to
take place in January 1973.
At the September 8 morning session, Miss Cola-
prete spoke on the publication policies of the Com-
munities and the depository library program. During
this session reports were presented on the Communi-
ties' university information service which is designed
to assist European documentation centers and on rhe
work of the Washington, D.C., office (ECIS) which
serves both as the American publications office and as
an information center, answering an average of 600
queries a month.
At the final session of the Conference co-sponsored
by the Council for European Studies, Stephen Black,
Executive Director of the Council, welcomed the
group and Erwin Welsch of the Memorial Library,
University of Wisconsin, chaired a panel dealing with


A-187




UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA

3 62 08493 0154


LC Information Bulletin


the broader problems of European documents in the
U.S. libraries. Many participants stayed beyond the 5
p.m. adjournment to continue discussing some of the
complex problems these documents pose. The final
event of the Conference was a buffet dinner at the
International Club.
Library of Congress representatives attending the
Conference were Bernard Bernier and. Mrs. Jean
Sansobrino of the Serial Division and Robert Schaaf


of the Union Catalog and International Organizations
Reference Section.
Copies of the Catalogue and its supplement may be
examined in the two Library of Congress offices
mentioned above. A limited number are available to
libraries from the European Community Information
Service, 2100 M. St., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20037.
[Robert IV. Schaaf]


A-188




Full Text
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8
REPORT xmlns http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitss xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitssdaitssReport.xsd
INGEST IEID E3IMTYPYI_VR6HE0 INGEST_TIME 2013-01-18T14:07:03Z PACKAGE AA00008458_00040
AGREEMENT_INFO ACCOUNT UF PROJECT UFDC
FILES