<%BANNER%>
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/AA00004298/00005
 Material Information
Title: Advisory Board Meeting Agenda & Materials : Unearthing St. Augustine’s Colonial Heritage NEH Grant ( July 12, 2013 )
Physical Description: Meeting minutes
Language: English
Creator: Caswell, Thomas Reed
Publisher: George A. Smathers Libraries, University of Florida
Place of Publication: Gainesville, FL
 Notes
Abstract: Abstract from the award proposal: In preparation for St. Augustine¡¦s 450th anniversary of its founding in 2015, the University of Florida (UF) Libraries requests $321,653 (with $196,821 in contributed cost share) to build an online collection of key resources related to research on colonial St. Augustine, Florida. Along with the UF Libraries, Unearthing St. Augustine partners are the two City of St. Augustine departments (Heritage Tourism and Archaeology Program), historic Government House in St. Augustine managed by UF, and St. Augustine Historical Society. This two-year project will produce two major outcomes: 1) UF and its partners will establish for the first time a computer digitization lab at Government House which will be used create and disseminate an interactive digital collection consisting of 11,000 maps, drawings, photographs and documents and associated metadata that will be available freely online; 2) project staff will spatially enhance digitized paper maps and images through a process called geo-referencing and create original programming to produce a user-friendly, Google map-based interface, and release it as open source technology. These products will allow for downloading and manipulating primary source material thus creating a means for increasing interactivity and enhancing broader public access. Along with searching and browsing functions (including full text searching) the project will develop a map-based interface built upon geographic metadata. Users will be able to search for textual information, structural elements and geographic locations on maps and images. Users also will be able to view the creation, alteration or destruction of structures and sites within specific timeframes. For the first time, this project brings the study of St. Augustine's past into the modern research environment. An Advisory Board comprised of noted archaeologists, historic preservationists, and historians with expertise in the colonial history of St. Augustine and Florida will provide expert guidance on building the digital collection and designing the user interface. Unearthing St. Augustine collection objects will cover a broad range of subjects including Florida and U.S. history, Spanish colonies, Native Americans, slavery, exploration, architecture and urban planning, social and economic development, missionary work, military defenses and warfare. The collection will satisfy the needs of a wide variety of researchers including historians, archaeologists, architects, and historic preservationists. The 11,000 digital objects, which date from the 16th century to the present, are in the public domain or partner repositories and have reproduction rights. Selected materials will include: Government House - 1,200 maps and overlays of the city, architectural drawings of historic structures, and related government documents. St. Augustine Historical Society - 2,500 Spanish documents, transcriptions and English language translations. City of St. Augustine Archaeology Program records, photographs and site summaries for 100 excavations conducted over the past 20 years. Herschel Shepard Collection at UF - 800 drawings, photos and documents related to Shepard¡¦s restoration and reconstruction of the city¡¦s colonial buildings. Unearthing St. Augustine will be promoted broadly to local, national and international scholars, teachers and the general public. To increase discovery and access, UF will contribute objects and metadata to digital repositories and other online collections including: Trove, NINES, 18thConnect, WorldCat, OAIster, and other aggregators.
General Note: Meeting agenda for July 12 meeting, notes from last meeting, and meeting materials for metadata review.
 Record Information
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: Applicable rights reserved.
System ID: AA00004298:00008


This item is only available as the following downloads:

UnearthingJuly122012 ( PDF )


Full Text

PAGE 1

Advisory Board Meeting Unearthing St. Augustines Colonial Heritage NEH Grant Friday, July 12th, 2013 Proctor Library, Room 200, Flagler College, 44 Sevilla Street St. Augustine, Florida 10:00 10:0 5 a.m. Adoption of agenda and approval of April 5 2013 minutes 10:05 10: 15 a.m. Introductions 10:15 10:30 a.m. P roject Programmer/Developer update ( Mark & Matt P.) 10:30 10:45 a.m. Project Manager update (Matt A.) 10:45 11:15 a.m. Discussion topics : 1) Archaeological Sites data Monson Motor Lodge sample ( Matt A. & Jim) 2) Parish Records Abstracts data (Jim) 11:15 11:2 5 a.m. Proposals/Resolutions & Summary 11:25 11:30 a.m. Announcements/Questions? 11:30 a.m. Adjournment

PAGE 2

Advisory Board Meeting NEH Grant April 5th 2013 Advisory Board members present: Kathleen Deagan Distinguished Research Curator of Archaeology Emerita, Lockwood Professor of Florida & Caribbean Archaeology, UFs Florida Museum of Natural History Kelly Enright, Assistant Professor of History & Director of Public History, Flagler College Carl Halbirt, City Archaeologist, St. Augustine Susan R. Parker, Executive Director, St. Augustine Historical Society Herschel Shepard, Retired Architect, FAIA Glenn G. Willumson Director, Museum studies Program, UF College of Fine Arts UF Project Team members present: Thomas Caswell, PI, Unearthing St. Augustine James Cusick, Co PI, Unearthing St. Augustine M ark Sullivan, Systems Programmer, DLC John Nemmers, Archivist, Special and Area Studies Collections Joe Aufmuth, GIS Librarian, Documents Department Matt Armstrong, Project Manager, Unearthing St. Augustine Matt Peters, Project Programmer, Unearthing St. Augustine Guest(s) present: Jenny Wolf e St. Augustine City Planning Mark Knight, St. Augustine City Planning The current agenda and minutes from the February 8th, 2013 meeting were accepted and approved. Introductions of all persons present. Overview of project from Tom Caswell View of projects progress live interface of current online information thus far and discussion of: M anipulation of images in archival collections How to bring all together and make user friendly Showed different webpages currently online how they are set up to get ideas that can be used within this project Still in rudimentary stages at this point have lots of data ready but now need to apply it to this project Matt Armstrong gave the Project Manager update Discussed that the primary focus for now in choosing items to be digitized are the structures under UFs stewardship Matt A.s been digitizing the Progress Photo Books as well Documents are scattered about in the Government House which is making his job more challenging (as are the current building renovations in the Government Hou se itself) Matt A. shows some of the scans that have been done as well as the docu mentation that is available now

PAGE 3

Matt A. has also created a blog with Dr. Enrights students St. Augustine Time Travelers Society to show the progression of how a particular house has changed over time and hopes to continue the b log after this semester ends Glenn Willumson asked if the photos that were b eing digitized had dates listed Matt A. said in most cases, yes they did and that information was being added to the record Susan Parker asked if ND could be added to a record if there was no date listed on the item Matt A. said that it could be added Glenn W. suggested that from a conservation point perhaps a date range could be added i f no exact date had been listed Tom C. said that could be possible and that it would be helpful Glenn W. asked about the projects process Tom C. said that about 3,500 images have been scanned thus far and explained that once something had been imaged that they have to physically take the d igital information back to UF to be ingested after quality control it can take a few days for that information to be live for the public Matt Peters and Mark Sullivan gave the Project Programmer/Developer update Currently this is a digital depository that can be searched from any top level It already searches and exposes many types of information Want to be able to show everything connected to any document on one map They need to create an authority database Need to come up with a list of identifiers f or each location Need to add more geographic information Build a database that can pull up as much information on each site as possible (Google Maps can display newspapers, aerial photography, etc. ) They explained UFDC and its applications Showed the curre nt interface of the project Showed how to search within the interface and how to put the information together so researchers can understand the results They are using a hierarchal approach but wanted input from the group about how best to organize this into a physical structure Herschel Shepard suggested starting with the date of the site Matt P. explains how the mapping will work different icons for each site will appear to show differences in the data See handout for the project outline bold points h ave been completed stars are things that hes working on They are making easy as possible for users but there is still a lot of map integration to go Glenn W. asked about the authority records and if there is already a vocabulary in place that the project could utilize Tom C. said yes, a controlled language is being enforced Glenn W. said that if the records were not consistent then it could cause problems later Tom C. agreed that the records and the information must be consistent Joe Au fmuth asked if one could see several blocks and lots at once Matt P. said yes Herschel S. had questions about the copyright restrictions for Sanborn maps Mark P. said they are aware of the work being done thus far and that the project is OK Tom C. said that the 1923 maps of St. Augustine have all been scanned thanks to Mark Knight and the City of St. Augustine Planning Department

PAGE 4

Herschel S. asked if there are note s on each record stating where the original document is housed Mark S. said that yes there is text that will be available each contributing section will have its own home page describing what information each had contributed to the project Matt A. said as things are relocated in the Government House the location in each record will reflect the move so that things can be found Jim Cusick began the discussion of selecting/presenting data on archaeological sites and asked for input and ideas from the group Tom C. asked how to incorporate the archeological data from Carls collection into the database Jim C. said t hey need to think ahead to how they want to search for things they need the database to be robust enough Jim C. they need to decide what they do and do not want to scan Jim C. asked the group that whenever a site/location gets added to the database, do they want a brief profile of each the site report to be included? All agreed that they want the site reports Jim C. asked about the categories that they want to include for most major sites (are these sufficient?) Field forms Features Master fie lds Field maps Lab work Graphic Field shots, pictures of artifacts Contract and letters for each Files of previous work done at that site and articles that were published about it Jim C. asked how deep into each site does the project want to delve w hat resolution for each image do they need to re shoot for better quality Carl Halbirt said that a lot of these major sites are already digitized do they want to scan everything for some of the larger sites it might be too much information to be able to finish within the projects timeline Kathy Deagan said they should include a list of materials not just raw data Jim C. can give us guidance but most will need unit maps and field maps Kathy D. said they will need the site maps to be included too Discus sion of what can and cant be placed online what is legal to post Joe A. said they should make it a special request for more sensitive materials Jim C. dont want to facilitate looting but still need information for researchers Tom C. can always dark archive materials at a later date if materials are sensitive or possible copyright questions arise Herschel S. questioned the legality of private versus state owned property rights Carl H. said that 95% of St. Augustine is privately owned property Susan P. asked if private property owners sign away intellectual property rights Mark K. said that these things are available in the public records Carl H. said that often he has one private and one public record for any site that he excavates Susan P. interjected that some public records are available in person but not necessarily available o nline

PAGE 5

Further discussion of what needs to be included in each site/locations record Carl H. asked how much information does the project want to put out there some archeological sites have 100s of pages of information Field notes may or may not be releasable Jim C. would like to include the site summary and site report base map results of lab analysis Tom C. and Kelly Enright asked about images and other sensitive material from a site Susan P. raised the question about what is going to be omitted T om C. asked about the photos on MisCha Johns flashdrive can the lower resolution images be scanned at a higher resolution Carl H. yes, they have the original photos and digital images Mark S. if usable then leave it alone since its expensive to res hoot Jim C. asked the group to pick the complicated sites first to look for all problems pick a test case to start and then re-visit after its been completed to see if its enough John Nemmers questioned how we get items for scanning proposes that we scan everything first and then decide what goes dark later Glenn W. agreed that it will save wear and tear on items if we scan all at once now Tom C. agrees Jim C. agrees Jim C. scan one site and then present it to the advisory board and then they will know how to proceed with the rest Kathy D. mentioned that adding this information to the web might increase requests from Carls office Kelly E. said that from a teaching aspect it would be great to have more information available online Herschel S. agree d that after one site had been scanned they should present it to the board for review Tom C. said that the authority file will take care of all properties and data that needs to be included Jim C. need a sample form ahead of time before scanning the site to show whats included Matt A. is there a way to extrapolate information Jim C. it matters how they search they need major and minor components for each site but they need a concrete example first so they can pick apart the problems Herschel S. t o say a major versus a minor site is subjective Kathy D. its easier from an archaeological perspective Tom C. asked the group to get a big site ready for Matt A. to scan before the next meeting Talk of absorbing the parish records Tom C. there are translations in the Government House Susan P. multiple translations of these records (1st translated in the 1930s or 40s) so there are multiple versions of each Susan P. the Historical Society owns the ones they translated Tom C. could the pr oject use the ones from the Government House Susan P. yes

PAGE 6

Glenn W. asked if there was the possibility of the public being able to interact with the information on the site Mark S. there are virtual book shelves that can be created and then shared with the public (for professors and students) and a way to let them make customized maps Glenn W. asked if there could be an additional window that would allow people add information to a site Mark S. said that currently there is a contact us link at the bottom of each image and they could highlight that option for patrons Tom C. suggested a comments field Mark S. said there is a descriptions field Susan P. asked how they are going to use information from the Historical Society since m uch of their information isnt site specific Tom C. said that it would be searchable because of the text but hes open to other suggestions They will add context to each area the story Kelly E. suggested that a timeline be incorporated too Meeting adjourned next meeting will be in July

PAGE 7

Monson Motor Lodge Site Digital Archive Components Show ex ample of following for feedback: Finding Forgotten Memories: A Comprehensive Historical Examination of Blocks Three and Four, St. Augustine, Florida, (by Stacy M. Pirog, submitted to Kanti Panel, CEO Jalaram Motels, Inc., May 5, 2004) Need to see examples from the following folders: Master Map of Stripping Areas SA 2 Field notes, feature list, photo detail SA 2 Maps and Master List SA 2 TU 1&2 master lists & excavation forms SA 8 M aps SA 8 TU 1&2 master lists, maps, & excavation forms S how examples from the folder Analysis Sheets Note to Advisory Board that following f olders that were not scanned Records and Communication on the project Zooarchaeology articles (title pages only scanned) Copies of the Puente Map and Key