- Permanent Link:
- Why Is Haiti So Poor?
- Series Title:
- Haitiâ€™s Challenges: Rebuilding Lives and Nation in the Earthquakeâ€™s Aftermath
- Geggus, David
- Place of Publication:
- Gainesville, FL
- Center for the Humanities and the Public Sphere, University of Florida
- Publication Date:
- Why Is Haiti So Poor? by Prof. David Geggus, Department of History, University of Florida; 24 January 2011, 7:30 pm Ustler Atrium. Haiti is the poorest country in the hemisphere but just over two hundred years ago it was the Americasâ€™ leading exporter. In becoming the first American nation to abolish slavery and racial discrimination, and the Caribbeanâ€™s first independent state, Haiti paid a high price. Yet how much of its current problems can be traced to its colonial and revolutionary past? How much is attributable to its treatment by the outside world, to its peasantry, or to its politicians? This talk offers a historical background to the countryâ€™s present crisis.
- Sponsored by the Caleb and Michele Grimes Fund in the CLAS Dean's Office and organized by the Center for the Humanities and the Public Sphere.
- Prof. Geggus received his Ph.D. in 1979 from York University, England, M.A.s from the Universities of London and Oxford (1972, 1976), and his B.A. from Oxford University in 1971. He joined the University of Florida Department of History in 1983 after holding research positions at the Universities of Southampton and Oxford. He has published five books, including Slavery, War and Revolution (Oxford, 1982) and Haitian Revolutionary Studies (Bloomington, 2002), and more than one hundred academic articles. Dr. Geggus teaches courses on Caribbean history and slavery in the Atlantic world. He has been awarded fellowships from the French Government, British Academy, John Simon Guggenheim Foundation, National Humanities Center, Woodrow Wilson Center for International Scholars, Social Science Research Council, National Endowment for the Humanities, and John Carter Brown Library.
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida
- Holding Location:
- University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- All rights reserved by the source institution.
This item has the following downloads:
24 JANUARY, 730 PM, USTLER ATRIUM
WHY IS HAITI
David Geggiu, Umversity of Florida
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8
REPORT xmlns http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitss xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitssdaitssReport.xsd
INGEST IEID ELUXEFH8E_8W63DO INGEST_TIME 2011-05-04T21:43:40Z PACKAGE AA00000385_00001
AGREEMENT_INFO ACCOUNT UF PROJECT UFDC