ILOS I-:A,., [,,;-
,-,-i- ,^ ..:i- ,LV/.-I,.
R. A. Gray
J. Edwin Larson
Thomas D. Bailey,
STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
Secretary of State
Secretary State Superintendent of
BOARD OF CONTROL
J. Lee Ballard, Chairman
Mrs. Jessie Ball duPont
Robert H. Gore
Fred H. Kent
W. Glenn Miller
J. Broward Culpepper,
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA
J. Wayne Reitz, Ph.D.
John Stuart Allen, Ph.D.
Harley W. Chandler, M.S.
FLORIDA STATE MUSEUM
Arnold B. Grobman, Ph.D.
A. Gilbert Wright, M.S.
Ripley P. Bullen, M.E.
J. C. Dickinson, Jr., Ph.D.
Nile C. Schaffer
H. R. Bezant
John W. Maxfield, B.A.
Barbara A. Trotter, B.A.
Deane Lee, B.A.
Keith R. Chinn, M.Ed.
William F. Johnson, M.Ed.
Mrs. Kathryn K. Smith
Curator of Exhibits
Curator of Social Sciences
Curator of Biological Sciences
Interim Assistant Preparator
Interim Assistant Preparator
Mobile Exhibits Operator
Mobile Exhibits Operator
FLORIDA STATE MUSEUM COUNCIL
Ross Allen, Silver Springs
Richard Archbold, Lake Placid
Thomas D. Bailey, Tallahassee
Karl Bickel, Sarasota
Dr. Mark Boyd, Tallahassee
S. J. C. Butz, Jacksonville
Barron Collier, Everglades City
Horace F. Cordes, Miami
Dr. Herman Gunter, Tallahassee
C. G. McGhee, Jacksonville
R. F. Maguire, Orlando
Gene Matthews, Starke
John Ringling North, Sarasota
William M. Pepper, Gainesville
Lee Ruwitch, Miami
Dr. Frank G. Slaughter, Jacksonville
Carl Swisher, Jacksonville
R. P. Terry, Miami
Justin R. Weddell, Pensacola
Owen D. Young, St. Augustine
FLORIDA STATE MUSEUM BOARD
Archie F. Carr, Ph.D., Professor of Biological Sciences
Richard A. Edwards, Ph.D., Professor of Geology
Chester L. Eggert, Ed.D., Professor of Education
John A. Harrison, Ph.D., Associate Professor of History
Edwin C. Kirkland, Ph.D., Professor of English
Stuart R. Purser, M.F.A., Professor of Art
G.M. Turner, LL.B., Assistant Dean of General Extension Division
Erdman West, M.S., Professor of Botany
Stanley L. West, LL.B., B.S. in L.S., Director of Libraries
Donald E. Worcester, Ph.D., Professor of History
R. S. Bader, Ph.D., Vertebrate Paleontology
Lewis Berner, Ph.D., Entomology
Mrs. Adelaide K. Bullen, B.A., Anthropology
C. F. Byers, Ph.D., Entomology
A. F. Carr, Ph.D., Herpetology
Mrs. Marjorie H. Carr, M.S., Ornithology
R. M. DeWitt, Ph.D., Malacology
Mrs. Edmay V. Flowers, M.S., Malacology
R. F. Hussey, Sc.D., Entomology
John D. Kilby, Ph.D., Ichthyology
L. C. Kuitert, Ph.D., Entomology
A. N. Tissot, Ph.D., Entomology
H. K. Wallace, Ph.D., Arachnology
M. J. Westfall, Ph.D., Entomology
Mrs. Lavinia Yount, B.A., Education
Board of Control
Florida State Museum Council
The following report, covering the period July 1, 1954, to June
30, 1955, has been prepared expressly for the Board of Control, as
stipulated by law, for the President of the University, and for members
of the Florida State Museum Council.
The following staff changes occurred during the year:
Miss Barbara A. Trotter, B.A., came to the Museum as Interim
Assistant Preparator in February, 1955. She was formerly with the
Witte Memorial Museum, San Antonio, Texas. Mr. Deane Lee, B.A.,
was also appointed Interim Assistant Preparator in May, 1955. He
brought to the Museum a considerable background in applied art.
Mr. Keith R. Chinn, M.Ed., and Mr. William F. Johnson, M.Ed.,
were appointed in February, 1955, to operate the Museum's Mobile
Exhibits while the vehicles were on tour visiting schools.
The following persons from other institutions served as Collabora-
tors in the Museum for varying periods of time: Dr. T. H. Hubbell, Dr.
I. J. Cantrall, and Mr. George Steyskal, Museum of Zoology, University
of Michigan; Dr. W. J. Clench, Dr. Ruth Turner, and Mr. Don Mc-
Michael, Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University; and
Dr. Paul G. Pearson, University of Tulsa.
During the year Mrs. Lavinia Yount and Dr. Robert M. DeWitt
were appointed to the Board of Associates.
In the death of Prof. W. C. Allee, the Museum lost a valued
Board member and friend.
In September, 1954, the American Institute of Biological Sciences
met on the University of Florida Campus. About 2,200 biologists from
all over the nation attended the sessions. Dr. Grobman served as
chairman of the local committee on arrangements and Dr. Carr gave
the major address, "The Passing of the Fleet," in which he described
his research on the green turtle. During these meetings about 400
biologists were guests of the Museum at an Open House held in the
The Director has served as Secretary of the American Society
of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists and was elected to the Council of
the Southeastern Museums Conference. He has continued to contribute
one course per semester to the teaching program of the Department of
Biology, and has been supervising the programs of two doctoral
students. While on a trip to participate in scientific meetings in San
Francisco in June, 1955, Dr. Grobman conferred with personnel in
several state and university museums in Louisiana, Arizona, California,
The Museum continued its annual custom of offering a series of
summer programs for children as a community service. As usual, each
program was given twice, once for white children and once for Negro
children. The programs, under the general supervision of Mr. Schaffer,
were very well received. The Museum appreciates the contribution
made by each speaker. The 1954 presentations were:
July 10: "Indians," Dr. Winston W. Ehrmann
July 17: "Shells," Mrs. Edmay V. Flowers
July 24: "Snakes," Mr. Walter Auffenberg
July 31: "Birds," Mrs. Marjorie H. Carr
Aug. 7: "Insects," Dr. Louis C. Kuitert
Aug. 14: "Ancient Animals," Dr. A. B. Grobman
It is gratifying to report the continuing increase in attendance.
Over 50,000 visitors came to the display halls in the Museum-the
largest number of annual visitors in the Museum's history. During
the year the Mobile Exhibits were seen by an additional 90,000 per-
sons. Through these activities, not including television shows and
public talks, it is apparent that the Museum is serving a far greater
number of people in Florida than ever before. The accompanying
table shows the yearly breakdown of the more than half-million per-
sons who have visited our displays since the Museum was moved to
the Seagle Building in 1939.
Year FLORIDA STATE MUSEUM VISITORS Total
June Seagle Building Mobile Exhibits Year
1939 14,919 14,919
1940 21,440 21,440
1941 24,604 24,604
1942 24,821 24,821
1943 26,245 26,245
1944 22,669 22,669
1945 21,289 21,289
1946 21,540 21,540
1947 23,470 23,470
1948 27,651 27,651
1949 28,247 28,247
1950 27,477 27,477
1951 29,834 29,834
1952 33,168 33,168
1953 32,889 ..... 32,889
1954 47,390 16,000 63,390
1955 50,216 91,333 141,549
The Mobile Exhibits toured part of the State under the sponsor-
ship of the Florida Power & Light Company. During this sponsored
tour, 82 schools and community showings attracted 81,000 persons.
Everywhere the Mobile Exhibits were well received and the enthusi-
astic response of the school children, teachers, and the general public
was most gratifying.
VISITS MADE BY THE MOBILE
EXHIBITS OF THE FLORIDA STATE
MUSEUM, DURING SPONSORSHIP BY
THE FLORIDA POWER & LIGHT COM-
PANY, OCTOBER 25, 1954 TO APRIL
The route of this sponsored tour, with the location of towns where
one or more showings were held, is indicated on this map.
In addition to the tour sponsored by the Power Company, the
Mobile Exhibits visited Alachua County and had a special showing at
the Southeastern Museums Conference on the campus of the Univer-
sity of Miami. An additional 10,000 persons enjoyed the displays
during those visits.
The response to the Mobile Exhibits has been so favorable that we
feel well repaid for the tremendous amount of time and energy that
has gone into their development. Through this activity the Museum
provides a most valuable and needed service in bringing meaningful
and inspiring displays to many sections of the State where there is
no museum facility whatsoever.
The Mobile Exhibits house a series of 14 displays which give a
vivid panoramic story of the history and resources of Florida. This
photograph is of a typical showing at Ft. Myers Junior High School.
A major display completed during the year in the Hall of Biologi-
cal Sciences was the "Florida Crocodilians" exhibit in which the chief
item is the remarkable specimen of Gavialosuchus obtained for the
Museum by Mr. Walter Auffenberg, graduate student. This 19-foot
skeleton of an extinct crocodile was expertly prepared and mounted
by Stanley Olsen of the Museum of Comparative Zoology of Harvard
University. He was assisted in the installation of the display by Mr.
Further progress in this Hall includes: the completion of the Wood
Ibis group, with foreground and taxidermy by Mr. Maxfield, the
principal background painting by Mr. Bezant, with additional back-
ground painting by Mrs. J. A. Morales of Gainesville; and reconstruc-
tion of the foreground and taxidermy of the Mockingbird exhibit
which had deteriorated badly over the years.
During the year a careful survey of overall exhibit planning was
made by Mr. Wright with particular attention to the Hall of Biological
Sciences, proposed Hall of Paleontology, and proposed Hall of Physi-
cal Sciences. Following a conference with the professional Museum
staff, he prepared a master plan for the reorganization of the second
*'BsatiwSTgHM r r * *'
- ^*=-^*1 sl!" 1-^^
iSK.t'1-'^ T *' aSSittlil iBfcl^M
'*^ntfttffti^' s~~~^- -^w ^^Rir
In the Spring of 1955 a special exhibit, "Arts of the Orient,"
was presented. Mr. Lee arranged the display of items collected, mainly
in Japan, by Professor A. Didier Graeffe of the University Department
of Humanities. To open the exhibit an evening reception was held at
which the guest of honor was Mr. Torshiro Shimanouchi, First Secre-
tary of the Japanese Embassy, Washington. Mrs. Bullen was in charge
of the arrangements for the reception which was attended by several
Progress on the first floor included the installation of new exhibits
near the stairway with Seminole and Indian Mission material and
timely changes in the "Museum in the News" case. An important step
toward modernization has been the installation of wiring in the wall'
cases. A new display at the left of the Museum entrance, showing
Museum visitors by counties of the United States and by foreign coun-
tries, has proved of exceptional interest. A map shows that during
this display's first year, visitors registered from 47 states and from 64
of Florida's 67 counties. In the Hall of Transportation, Mr. Schaffer
restored the exteriors of the early 1907 Baker Electric Automobile, the
1880 hack, the 1889 bicycle, and the 1898 horse-drawn fire engine.
Four Indian dugouts (one 50-foot specimen being the largest canoe
of its kind known from the State) were removed from the Hall and
placed in storage to provide space for the wheeled vehicles.
One of the Exhibits Department's major projects was the design
and construction of displays, under contract with the Florida Board
of Parks and Historic Memorials, for the Olustee Battlefield Museum
at Olustee, Florida. This was the site of the most important battle of
the Civil War in Florida during which Federal troops were repulsed
in their effort to cut the food supply from Florida to the Confederate
armies. Seven cases will house materials from the Battle and will pre-
sent an interpretation of the significance of the Battle including factors
that led to the engagement.
Work was also initiated, under a similar arrangement, for the
Park Board's Constitution Park Museum at Port St. Joe which will
delineate the exciting history of St. Joseph, Florida, including the
State's first Constitutional Convention.
Photography is an important phase of Museum work both for
displays and for the illustration of scientific reports. During the course
of the year the Museum acquired sufficient items of equipment for
its photographic laboratory so that it will be able to handle ade-
quately its specialized needs in the field of still photography.
The Curator and two preparators attended the meeting of the
Southeastern Museums Conference in Miami in October, 1954. The
Curator also attended the 50th annual meeting of the American Asso-
ciation of Museums in Washington in June, 1955, and, at that time
conferred with specialists in the U. S. National Museum, Library of
Congress, the U. S. National Archives, and the Museums Branch of
the National Park Service.
SOCIAL SCIENCE ACTIVITIES
Much of the effort of this Department during the year has been
devoted to reorganizing our collections. The historical, ethnological,
and physical anthropological collections have been inventoried and a
new typological file completed. Each card in this file bears a notation
as to the location of the specimen represented. Mr. Charles H. Hay and
Mr. John A. Haynes, student assistants, contributed very effectively to
the completion of this inventory. We find we now have 15,129
specimens under the following headings:
Clothing and accessories ----..-...
Doctor, dentist, drugstore --------..--
Farm equipment .. --------
Fire fighting .-. .. --- ..---
Household equipment .------------
Industrial equipment ---------------
Manuscripts, maps, pictures ----
Numismatics --------- ----
Pictures and negatives ----
Postage stamps ----------------
Transportation items ..-
War accessories and uniforms
Total ---- .---------
. -----..-.-.-. 348
----.. ..--- 134
Africa .....-..----.........-----------------.--.--------...-.------........ 130
Asia --.......-- ...-- .----..........------------------------------ 76
Caribbean --------......-------..................---------------------- 1
Europe ....- .......----------------......... .... --- -- -- ------------..... 5
Florida ......-....---- -- --... --------------... ...--------... ...--------. 262
North America, except Florida --------.----------- 364
Middle America ---------. ------ -------------- 29
South America ..-------------------------.. ....... 15
Pacific Ocean ------.......----------------....--...---------..... 48
Total .......-- ...............- .....-...---.- .......... 930
Physical Anthropology ...----...... ------------.................. 46
Archaeological collections have been arranged by regions, coun-
ties, and sites so that they can be studied comparatively by students.
An inventory and the development of a typological file covering the
archaeological collections is planned for 1955-1956.
The most important accession during the year was the acquisi-
tion by purchase of Dr. John M. Goggin's Seminole Indian ethnological
collection. This acquisition, which includes 157 specimens, strength-
ened our holdings in a local field in which we were particularly weak.
Other significant additions to the collections during the year include
41 Civil War items, 15 items of clothing, and 227 archaeological
specimens. We also have a number of archaeological and ethnological
specimens acquired during recent months which await cataloguing.
Nine loans were made, consisting of 35 items. These loans were
for University classroom instruction, the Samuel Johnson Centenary
Exhibit at the University Library, a lecture to Air ROTC cadets, Girl
Scout instruction, research, a Jacksonville Children's Museum exhibit,
and props for the Florida Players.
Field work during the year was limited to four weeks spent
excavating in a burial mound near Boca Raton. This work was spon-
sored by Mr. E. G. Barnhill, owner of the property on which the mound
In March, 1955, the Windy Castle location, south of New Smyrna,
was inspected with Mr. William J. Bryant, owner of the site. Also
visited was the famous Turner's River site southeast of Everglades City,
in company with Mr. Karl Bickel and others of Sarasota, and Mr. Sam
Mase of the Tampa Tribune. The trip was arranged by Mr. Bickel who
hopes that this important site will be preserved.
The Curator and the Associate in Anthropology attended the
annual meeting of the Florida Academy of Sciences, the Florida An-
thropological Society, and the Society for American Archaeology. Pa-
pers were presented by Mr. Bullen at each of these meetings. The
Curator was reelected Treasurer, and the Associate was elected Editor,
of the Florida Anthropological Society. Mrs. Bullen also attended the
annual meetings of the American Association of Physical Anthropolo-
gists and the Society for Applied Anthropology. We are pleased to
report that in December, 1954, she received the Phipps and Bird
Award for the best paper published during the preceding year in the
"Quarterly Journal of the Florida Academy of Sciences'; During the
year two papers by the Curator and one by joint Curator-Associate
authorship were published by the Florida Anthropological Society. The
report on work done in February, 1954, near Englewood, under the
sponsorship of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Vanderbilt, nears completion.
We were fortunate, at the close of the year, to secure three radio-
carbon dates from the University of Michigan on archaeological sites
excavated previously near the Chattahoochee River. (A formal report
covering the work done there is awaiting publication by the Bureau of
American Ethnology, Smithsonian Institution, Washington.) These are
the first radiocarbon archaeological dates for Florida and will help
provide a chronological framework with absolute dates for the pre-
history of the State.
Plans for 1955-1956 include sponsored excavations at Windy
Castle and near Fort Caroline; tests at the Turner's River site; and
other field work. With the anticipated addition to the staff of an
Assistant Curator we will be much better able to handle the greatly
increased demands made by the public, and also better able to
organize the research program.
BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE ACTIVITIES
Certain research collections in the Biological Sciences are coopera-
tively sponsored by the Department of Biology and the Museum. These
joint collections have continued to show remarkable growth. Under
the care of Dr. Carr, the reptile and amphibian collections now total
some 8,000 lots, representing an increase of almost 3,000 lots during
the last 12 months. Major additions to the collections have come from
Mr. Auffenberg, Mr. Richard Highton, and Mr. Duke Wilder.
View of a portion of the reptile and amphibian collections
Dr. Kilby has continued to improve the physical condition of the
fish collections. Approximately 1,000 lots have been added during
the year. Major acquisitions have come through the activities of Mr.
David Caldwell, Mr. Hellier, and Dr. Kilby. Gifts have been received
from Mr. E. C. Crittenden, Mr. G. H. Eubank, and Mr. M. Newman.
Material from Cuba, Mexico, British Colombia, and Kansas has further
enriched these holdings.
Dr. DeWitt has taken over the care of the mollusks and some
3,000 lots of material have been identified and recatalogued under
his direction. Dr. DeWitt's gift of 132 lots of fresh water mollusks
represents a valuable acquisition. Mr. Leon M. Wright presented 140
additional lots of fresh water shells. Eight new storage cases have
been added and these are already almost filled to capacity.
Dr. Wallace has continued his care of the collections of Arachnida
and, with the assistance of Mrs. Ruth Merrill, has made much progress
in reorganizing this valuable collection.
The collections of vertebrate fossils, which have been dormant for
many years, are now in the care of Dr. Bader. His own work at the
Gilchrist County Miocene deposit has already begun to enrich our
holdings. The acquisition of underwater diving equipment, through
University research funds made available by Dean L. E. Grinter, has
been a great help in providing a new technique of exploration for
fossil specimens. A stereoscopic microscope, which will prove to be
most valuable to our associates in entomology, has also been provided
with funds supplied by Dean Grinter.
The Museum's mammal collection was enriched by two gifts this
year: Dr. Joseph C. Moore deposited 150 skins and 171 skulls, of 38
species of mammals, and Mrs. Mary Wible presented 7 skins and
skulls. It is gratifying to report that in June, 1955, the mammal col-
lections of the Museum and the Department of Biology were com-
bined. Thus, for still another biological collection, duplication of effort
by these two University departments has been replaced by coopera-
tion. A large majority of the important biological study collections in
the University are now jointly sponsored.
Continued progress is being made in organizing and enlarging
the joint insect collection under the care of Dr. Hussey. The acquisition
of several additional U. S. National Museum type cabinets and insect
drawers has made it possible to begin the desired arrangement of
pinned specimens by species. This work has been started with the
Hemiptera and approximately 350 species have been so arranged
with the aquatic and semi-aquatic families still to be done. This
program will encompass other orders of insects as facilities become
available and as materials are identified. The collection now contains
type specimens of several species of Ephemeroptera and Hemiptera;
these are stored separately, rather than being incorporated in the
general collection. The largest single addition to the insect collection
during this year was a gift of more than 1,800 specimens of the
dipterous family, Syrphidae, donated by Mr. W. M. Davidson of Orlan-
do, Florida. This collection is rich in species from all parts of the world
and includes much type material. A considerable number of insect
specimens have accrued to the Museum from its survey of the Flint-
Chattahoochee Rivers area and from the studies on Florida springs con-
ducted by the Department of Biology. Field work by Dr. Berner in the
southeastern states has augmented the Ephemeroptera collection and
Dr. Hussey has added numerous Hemiptera by field work in Alachua
and adjacent counties. Smaller lots of insects have been received from
several individuals, notably Dr. F. N. Young of Indiana University, who
contributed specimens taken in Florida, Georgia, Indiana, and Mexico.
Dr. Westfall has visited several collections in the southeast, studying
types and other critical material, to assist him in his preparation of
the second volume on North American Odonata.
Mrs. Carr continued her work in recataloguing the Museum bird
collection. The entire collection has now been re-examined and repre-
sents a total of 3,098 specimens. Approximately 250 skins were added
as a result of Dr. Dickinson's studies in the Chattahoochee region
Materials from our biological collections have been loaned to
18 institutions and individuals during the fiscal year.
The biological survey of the Flint-Chattahoochee-Apalachicola
Drainage Dasins, begun in 1953 under the sponsorship of the National
Park Service, is continuing with support from the National Science
Foundation. During the past year Mr. Auffenberg and Mr. Highton
have continued their investigations of the reptiles and amphibians in
the area, in collaboration with Dr. Carr. Dr. Hussey has made several
trips to the region and is making excellent progress with his survey
of the aquatic Hemiptera. Dr. Westfall has pursued his studies of the
Odonata of the area with promising results. The Curator and Mr. Fred
Bartleson spent about three weeks in the field in the summer of 1954,
making a preliminary survey of the region's avifauna. Dr. Kilby, Mr.
Caldwell and Mr. Leonard Giovannoli have almost completed the
field work necessary for their report on the fishes. Dr. Clench has
his report on the mollusks well in hand and we anticipate a Fall pub-
lication date for this portion of the work. Dr. Hubbell, Dr. A. M. Laessle
(University of Florida), and the Curator have prepared a general
ecological description of the area.
The Curator attended the annual meeting of the Association of
Southeastern Biologists and was elected Secretary of that organization.
During June and July of 1955, while on a Navy cruise to the Arctic,
he was successful in making several collections on Baffin Island.
During the course of the year, staff and associates in the Biologi-
cal Sciences published nine original articles and 14 reviews.
SUMMARY AND FUTURE NEEDS
The past year has been a good one for the Museum. Considerable
progress has been made in all areas of the Museum's activities. The
collections, which are the core of the Museum's programs, have grown
satisfactorily and a satisfying proportion has been inventoried and
recatalogued. But there is so much more that remains to be done
that a summary evaluation would simply be that a good start has
The exhibition program has also been gratifying. The over-
whelming response to the Mobile Exhibits; the completion of some
new displays in the Seagle Building; the commission by the State
Park Board to design and construct exhibits for its museums; and the
growing attendance are all tangible evidence of the success of this
phase of the Museum's activities.
Research activities have also been fruitful. These have resulted
in the publication of many significant contributions by staff members
and associates, in both the anthropological and biological sciences.
Outside recognition has come through the election of several staff
members to office in various professional societies.
The success reviewed here is due primarily to the efforts of a
dedicated staff and the contributions of cooperative associates and
collaborators. A number of members of the Museum Council, when
called upon, rendered most effective service. The University adminis-
tration has continued to demonstrate a sincere interest in the Museum
which has been greatly appreciated.
The pressing needs of the Museum are for space and an increased
budget. The collections are crowded; display space is minimal; and
the space occupied needs modernization. The best place to start
remodeling would be with the entrance doors which are dark and
uninviting. While the cooperation of Florida industry in sponsoring
the Mobile Exhibits is appreciated, the traveling displays should
eventually be a State service without commercial connections.
The geological and paleontological collections deserve more at-
tention and the State's industrial development and progress should
be incorporated into the Museum's exhibition program. Although a
good start has been made in reorganizing the social and biological
sciences, there is as yet no activity in the Museum in the physical
We are in the midst of a cultural revolution in Florida. Half of
the State's 20 museums came into being during the last five years.
In order to keep pace with this change in social climate and to
overcome many years of inactivity, this Museum will have to continue
to grow at a faster rate than in recent years. If this increase can be
achieved, the Florida State Museum will become a more effective
institution serving the University students and faculty in a variety
of specialized ways and will contribute significantly to the enjoyment
and education of the State's citizens, children, and visitors.
Arnold B. Grobman,
and Colorado. In company with several members of the Museum staff,
he attended the meeting of the Southeastern Museums Conference
in Miami, in October, 1954, where he gave an informal talk on the
problems of a museum training program.
The Director appeared on television, WMBR, Jacksonville, to
discuss atomic energy with special reference to radioactive fall-out.
He presented a paper entitled "Medical Education in a University
Setting," before Alpha Epsilon Delta (honorary premedical society) in
Birmingham. He attended the meeting of the Division of Biology and
Agriculture of the National Research Council in Washington as the
representative of the American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetolo-
gists. He also spoke before a workshop for Alachua County teachers
and gave a talk to local elementary school children.
During the fiscal year the Museum had in force outside contracts
to an aggregate value of $19,316. These included: sponsorship of the
Mobile Exhibits by the Florida Power & Light Company; Biological
Survey of the Flint-Chattahoochee Drainages under a grant from the
National Science Foundation; preparation of mounted birds for school
displays for the Audubon Society of the Everglades; archaeological
excavations on private property for Mr. E. G. Barnhill; and design and
construction of exhibits for the Olustee Battlefield Monument Museum
and for the museum at Constitution Park Monument, Port St. Joe, for
the Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials.
One of the highlights of the year was a week-long visit to the
Museum by Dr. Carl E. Guthe who was formerly Director of the Uni-
versity Museums of the University of Michigan and the New York
State Museum and is now Research Associate of the American Associa-
tion of Museums. While his stay here was primarily tc continue his
survey of southern museums for the Association, he was prevailed
upon to lengthen his visit in order to confer with us about our own
operations so that we could benefit from his long and successful
experience with state and university museums. He also consulted with
the Board of Control.
The Museum was honored with visits by a number of other
officials from out-of-state museums, including: Dr. Laurence Vail Cole-
man, President, American Association of Museums; Dr. Robert T. Hatt,
Director, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Michigan; Dr. Bernard Lewis,
Director, Jamaica Institute, British West Indies; and Dr. Charles G.
Wilder, Director, American Museum of Atomic Energy, Oak Ridge.
The parking problem for visitors has been partially solved.
Through the courtesy of Mr. L. A. Lowry, owner of Lowry's Furniture
Store adjacent to the Museum, visitors to the Museum have free park-
ing privileges in the store's large parking lot.